Problems discovered at medical :-( awaiting more tests via GP

Geordielass44

Hi my husband, daughter and myself went for our medicals on the 20th july. They had no problems but blood was detected in my urine. Since the initial test it was detected twice more. My GP referred me for a renal scan which (after being told it would take weeks on the NHS ) i paid privately to have today. No problems were found but my GP now wants to refer to a urologist and for a possible cystoscopy :-( The costs are seriously mounting up (quoted £1500 privately) and we are worried 1. This will take forever and even if i get the all clear it will leave us little time to validate (we have a 2 week window March/april next year 2. We will be so broke we wont be able to afford to validate.....

Has anyone else had this issue!? I feel absolutely well in myself and whilst i know there is a miniscule chance of there being something seriously wrong i just want the medicals sent asap without spending a small fortune!

Understand your frustration but you must put your health first. Hopefully this will turn out to be nothing or at worse something that is easily remedied. Remember that the guy who did the medical is first and foremost a doctor and has your best interests at heart. Find out from your gp who you have been referred too and be pro-active. Phone the urologist's secretary regularly to see if there are any cancellations for example. Polite pestering is the name of the game.... and that comes from a nurse!... Good luck, I hope everything is ok.

Hi thanks for you reply. I think i may go private to see the urologist and take it from there. We have been on such a roller coaster applying for the visa that i couldnt belive that the medical is now causing issues! I know it will all be worth it and i am sure it will all work out! My visa doctor is lovely and she will just wait to see what my GP recommends and i know i will have to get to the bottom of this issue for my own peace of mind as well as for the medical.

Hi. Yes I had this issue. They told me I could go back and be retested or the option for my urine to be sent away and I presume they check for abnormal cells (?), anyway I decided to have it sent away and that came back normal. I have since been granted a 457 visa, though my medical results have been referred for our 175, though not sure whether this has anything to do with it and surely if I've been granted a 457, the medical must be the same for a 175? I think a cystoscopy is a little drastic!! Especially if a renal scan came back normal. Can they not just send your urine away for testing? What was the time frame before the 3 urine tests you did?

Hi they sent the urine for testing and there was no signs of infection but the blood was there. All subsequent dipstick tests show blood. Its not visible but showing up on the stick. The scan showed nothing abnormal but GP wants cystoscopy. Apparently that is the normal route. I think its a bit drastic but no point in submitting medical until they prove there is nothing sinister. Apparently 3 weeks plus of blood in urine with no sign of a bladder infection must be explored and my GP wants answers. Its very frustrating and i know this is going to cost a fortune but better sure i guess.

• 1 month later...

i realise with the stage that you are already at this may sound stupid, but i always seem to have blood in my urine when dipsticked and with a previous oz visa i had to have a sample sent through my gp (whilst living in sydney) before they would approve the visa. One thing that made a big difference was being well hydrated when i gave a sample. If i hadnt drunk enough i would always dip positive for blood. I have no idea why but they werent overly concerned.

Hi Geordielass, I am very interested to hear how you get on, I had my medical on the 25th July and also had blood in my urine, my medicals are showing as referred and reading your post I now expect that I too might be asked to submit further medical evidence. I have had blood present in three more dip stick tests, two pre a course of antibiotics and again following the antibiotics only that time protine showed up too! I am due to see my GP again on the 29th so will have another test then and take it from there. Our NHS (Scotland) is a 9 week referral to treat so I fully intend to resolve this issue via them and not go privately if I can at all avoid it. Hope things go well for you - keep us posted!

Mel

Hi just to keep evryone up to date! MyGP sent off two samples to the lab over a 2 week period and both came back as normal. The panel dr decided to send those results as well as the renal scan. Meds were referred on 8th august so now waiting to see if all ok!! Fingers crossed!

blood is constantly detected in my urine luckily I had the investigations prior to the medical and therefore was able to give the consultatns view that she couldn't find anything wrong and it had undetermined cause. We got our visa - unless you really have to do things quickly - why not see how long it will be on the NHS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am in exactly the same position, my medical came back with blood in my urine. I have had this in the past and had ultrasound scans and nothing shown up, I was looking on the forum to see if anyone else knew what would happen if nothing gets diagnosed, does the visa still go ahead? We are wanting to go to Perth in January, but not looking very likely! So stressful all of this! Let me know how you get on!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Can I get your contact number. I am planning to go by January 16th to Sydney. I am from IT and I have no idea also how to find out a job.

If you have any contacts or consultant details , please let me know.

Regards,

Jaydeep

Hi i'd just like to say they find blood in my urine pretty much most times i have dip test & nothing wrong with me lol, so i'd assume its how good your doctor is at sending you for a few test just to be on safe side for meds & hopefully quicker the better, & yeah if poss i'd try & wait & do it on nhs save your money for Oz

Archived