Uk citizen on a 457. Do I need medical insurance for my visa even though I get Medicare?

gwolst77

Hi I am going through my 457 visa process with my new companies migration agent. I have been told to show proof of medical insurance for my visa application, however I know I have access to Medicare seeing that I am a Pom.

I am assuming the reason for this is that there is a time gap between when you land in Oz and when you can start accessing Medicare, and the insurance is used as a stop gap. If not then why do I need insurance?

I will take out private health care once I get settled (saves me money of the Medicare surcharge) but I really need to keep my costs down until that point, as I am paying a lot of money out at the moment up front.

I am thinking of getting some normal travel insruance would this be okay in this situation?

Any advice would be great.

Guest lisa crowe
Thanks for the advice

I don't have a problem with getting the insurance, just don't want to be paying out money for cover I don't need that's all.

We just got a months cover for the 457 visa purpose, then got insured once here, though you don't need to, its not law you do, but I'd advise it as it covers loads that medicare don't

We just got a months cover for the 457 visa purpose, then got insured once here, though you don't need to, its not law you do, but I'd advise it as it covers loads that medicare don't

So in theory travel insurance should cover it, but I won't take the risk. I am lucky as I have a relocation package so I should be able to claim it back.

I was in Australia when my 457 was granted and even though I had overseas health insurance to cover my time here, it was not accepted by my CO as it did not fulfil the 457 requirements so make sure whichever cover you get does.

My visa wasn't granted until I went, renewed my Medicare card which had expired and provided evidence of this.

Bupa mentions their overseas health cover fulfils the 457 visa - just check with whichever company you go with before you pay!

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/campaigns/overseas-visitors/?s_cid=12001s022&s_kwcid=TC|1025339|health%20insurance%20457||S|e|15433486445

I am going on a 457 and I can confirm that for me my case officer was happy to accept my lloyds tsb travel insurance ( which is part of my bank account and I rang them and they send me a copy ).. this was last week and am just waiting now as had the medical saturday

I used Go Walkabout for our 457 visa and did the 21 day policy.

Just gone with Go walk about using there 17 day policy cost me £60 for a family of four. Quick question once the visa is granted when you land in Oz do immigration ask to see copies of valid medical insurance?

Hopefully I will be out there at the end of August but will be coming back for a week in November to take out the wife and kids. Just wondering if I am going to have to get specific medical insurance again in November, so that the wife and kids get through immigration.

• 1 month later...
Guest craigledee

Heya, I've just had my 457 visa approved using Go Walkabout travel insurance (http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/), which is providing me with travel insurance as well as 21 day health insurance for just shy of £50.

I've seen a couple of people on forums mention it and thought it was worth chipping in.

the case officer needs the information for visa to be issued as far as I am aware that once it is issued you will just need copy for yourself and if you need to use it. My lloyds tsb normal part of my bank account was accepted and I have my visa issued ( my insurance one lasts since 63 days) and I have got a copy of it ( and copies of everything on a usb stick) ..my flight is now booked for 13th September :D good luck with your move there!

Heya, I've just had my 457 visa approved using Go Walkabout travel insurance (http://www.go-walkabout.co.uk/), which is providing me with travel insurance as well as 21 day health insurance for just shy of £50.

I've seen a couple of people on forums mention it and thought it was worth chipping in.

I forgot I was following this thread. Same here for me as well, I used Go-Walkabout 17-day cover for my visa application (which included my wife and two small kids), and my 457 was approved with no issues at all.

Hope this helps

Archived