Absolutely Frustrated and dejected...

Hi all,

I'm based in Singapore and have received my 175 grant, trouble is I've have tried applying for jobs from seek.com.au , jobsearch.com.au , jobs.com.au etc etc, and even mailing and registering my interest by sending my CVs to all of the corporations I am planning to work, to the point of sending out almost 80-100 resumes and application everyday and by applying I mean I have applied from everything that is even remotely close to what I've doing, from the very junior entry level position to senior ones, but have always had rejections or no response...

I've even go my resume done up in the 'Aussie way' by hiring a consultant and since I've not made the move yet I am open to any and all parts of Australia...But right now I'm getting real depressed and starting to doubt myself, get frustrated and sad that things might not be as rosy as I thought after all....

I'm currently a Senior Manager for contract management, background in civil engineering and have been working for some 10 odd years now...

What is wrong ? Is the job market really quiet right now in the whole of the country?

Are you tailoring your CV to the specific roles you are applying for or just sending out the one the consultant wrote for you to everyone?

dont give up..... its not easy ! You would be very lucky to just fall into a job. If you can, it probably would be best to fly out there now and start looking. You can always do any job till you find what your looking for. My Dad went from being a senior manager at a large company in Johannesburg South Africa, to cleaning toilets at Tesco after working 9 hours in his full time job, when we first arrived ! He was doing 16 hours a DAY !!!!! Stay focused, if its what you want to do, work hard and make it happen.

You might find it easier to get a job with more face to face interactions. Perhaps the fact that your in Singapore, even with PR its a hassle they dont want.

Do some research on where you think you have the best opportunity and go there, start your search again on the ground. Make it clear you have PR, and ready to start ASAP.

Good luck

Hi there, I have prepared 5 sets of resume types for respective areas of work I can do:"project management, construction, contract management, business development & sales" but still nothing.

A friend of mine told me before, that most Aussie employers would want candidates to have at least 1 years experience of working in a local company, no matter what job and what position before they'd even consider you....I'm beginning to think what he said is true!

Hate to say it but I think your CV is part of the problem. It isn't enough to have a generic one (even a semi tailored generic one) if you are responding to an advertised role. It's OK for cold calling but that's about all. Other applicants will be sending in highly tailored applications and yours is going to stand out as not being a thoroughly prepared application which will raise doubts about your work ethic.

Being off shore isn't going to help either. Although I recruit overseas I only do it if I am desperate.

Hi freckleface, thank you very much for taking the time to read my noisy rant. Truth is, I've tried to craft it as close to the positions that I've applied for , segmentting them by industry, positions, seniority etc. but to no avail. Plus most of the applications I have already listed a Melbourne address where my extended family stays and where I could stay for a while..

I've already gotten my Australian Permanent Residency, andI would fly in a heartbeat to Aussie should there be genuine interest for hiring me, but so far its been a flat "Thank you for applying, but we have found more candidates that are more suited to the requirements of the hirer"

I actually hired a proper Resume writer to edit my CV but it seems like money not well spent.

Have a look at the advice I put in this thread and then take a really critical look at the CV's you are sending out. If you are including a Melb address and you have experience you should be getting interviews. In the absence of any other information that would shed light on the problem I think the CV is letting you down.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/140658-tips-writing-competitive-aussie-cvs.html

Guest GeorgeD

When I was contacting recruiters from overseas before I moved to Oz, I only got a single reply from them. once I arrived I got a couple of interviews and asked people in passing would they have considered me if they saw my CV while I was in the UK, and they all said no, even my current boss who is English!

I think it is much easier to get a job when you are over in Oz. Having said that, it is far from easy right now. Here in QLD the state government has slashed jobs with more to go, and large infrastructure projects are being seriously reviewed. Building and engineering firms are not havigna great time right now. But it's not impossible to find a job, just genuinely difficult. Keep trying. It might seem like you are getting nowehre, but you only need one job. Of those hundreds of applications, you only need one to land on the right person at the right time and for them to like what they see. The more you do and continue to do, the more chance you have of finding something. Looking for a job is a full time job!

Thanks for the advice! Would it be too much to ask if I posted my CV here to have a look as well?

Happy to read it for you but don't post it on the open forum. Other people have sent me links in a PM that have allowed me to read the CV. I just can't remember the thing they use to do it. I've tried to find a PM with the name of the thing but I must have deleted it. Do you know what I'm talking about (lol) - if yes great - set yourself up and send me the link in a PM. If you have no idea what I'm talking about let me know and I'll ask one of the people who have done it to tell me what it is called.

Can you tell I'm not very technically minded :biglaugh:

My husband was offered a job over the phone...you don't have to be here to be offered a job, just make sure your cv pops so to speak. With your qualifications, you'll get a fifo position easily enough I would think.

Guest ajmcom
Thankfully not IT :wink:

:biglaugh:

[h=4]Im an expert in ...[/h] • JavaScript (Dojo)

• HTML (HTML5)

• CSS (CSS3)

• Java (JSP/Servlets/Portlets/Struts)

• JSON/XML

• REST

• MVC

• DOS

• WebSphere (Application Server/Portal)

• Social Software

And Im proficient at

• PHP

• C/C++

• Jacl

• Unix

Kindly arrange me a job at computer.

The construction industry here is very silo-ised, if that makes sense

People want to see experience in specific sectors and with specific job/role titles that they understand. In UK, US and some other places I've worked people don't read the job title of your previous positions so much but read what you put after it regarding what your role actually covered, as job titles can be a bit more flexible (example: a "Construction Manager" in the UK could be anything from a guy who's from the tools and one step up from a foreman, to someone who's responsible for all work on all sites of a multi-million or even multi-billion dollar project - so recruiters/companies are used to paying little attention to your title and seeing what you actually did).

It doesn't work like that here. The construction companies here know and understand a very linear progression - site engineer to section engineer to project engineer to senior project engineer to area manager to construction manager to project manager to project director. It works a bit on tramlines and this can be difficult to get your head around if you come from an environment where it's more fluid. Also most companies don't really understand or value non-cognate experience or qualifications - MBAs, Six Sigma, business management diplomas, business psychology qualifications - they don't get them unless you are lucky enough to come across the HR department or senior manager who is switched on to that, and there are few of them. Again in the UK or US this sort of non-standard string to your bow is seen as an advantage, but it isn't really here

So for construction company positions, I guarantee your CV is being seen as too broad and they'll have other candidates who have gone down the familiar track they understand. You may well be a better candidate, but unless they see a CV that's tailored to a construction role, they won't get it and there will always be easier options. So you must tailor your CV to the specific job to get your foot in the door

I can't speak for other industries but suspect it will be along the same lines. ICT project delivery companies will be wondering why your qualifications (and some experience) is in construction work rather than ICT I guess

I applied for a couple of positions from the UK and didn't get a sniff. Employers simply aren't interested in you if you're not already here.

I took the big risk and came over with enough money to support myself for six months. If I didn't get a job in that time I'd have returned back to the UK. I would probably have continued applying (unsuccessfully) for jobs from the UK. However, I was extremely lucky and landed a job within the first week.

Guest vangogh

Florentinustay, don't have too much info to give since I'm just starting off myself! But just wanted to wish you luck! I hope things work out quickly for you!

I have to agree with the previous posters, employers much have gotten pretty sick of "dreamers" applying from overseas. And interviews etc are going to be pretty impossible also. Id say get yourself over there and try again.

I'm in the exact same boat (with a lot less experience!) and can feel your frustrations - especially when you get rejected from a job that you're perhaps over qualified for. I'm holding on to the hope that when I'm standing on the doorstep - or at least on the same soil(!) - things will be different. If I didn't I'd be having second doubts about even going, but I want to make this happen and if i'm unsuccessful at least I can hold my hands up and say I tried everything! I understand that with a wife & child on the way things are perhaps not as simple as my situation but I'm sure you will soon be snapped up!

Keep the chin up and keep going mate!

Archived