What age for high school in Perth?

Guest bella-71

Guest bella-71

Hi there,

Can anyone oplease help.

We are still in UK but hoping to be in Perth by September.

My daughter will be 11 in October 2008, in our schooling system she will go into year 6 in Sept then to high school Sept 2009.

When do the classes move up in Oz? Would she have some time at primary school in Perth before having to go to high school?

Thanks

Bella.:)

Hi Bella

Welcome to PIO !!! You should get your answers on here if not try emailing a school in Perth they are pretty quick in replying.

Not sure about perth but in some parts of Australia they go up the year after ours, so in some cases if they had just started high school here they could find themselves going back to primary for a little while when going to Oz. Not sure if all Oz the same again but there school year starts in the January unlike ours which starts in the September!!

Good luck

My daughter was 11 when we moved (Feb birthday), she had just gone to High School (yr 7) in the UK. Here, she was still in yr 7 but here it's the last year of Primary School so although she didn't move up or down a year - she did go back to Primary. She actually really enjoyed this year, it gave her an opportunity to suss out the education systme, make friends and have a great graduation.

The school year is from January - December (although this year the kids go back of Feb 4th). I emailed the school I wanted to get them in and the principle was able to tell me what years they would be in.

Ali

If your daughter were to start in school in WA in February this year then she would be going in to year 6. She will have another year of primary school in 2009 and begin HS in 2010.

It isnt helpful to talk about "repeating" or being kept back because what she will be doing is joining with her age cohort. Different states in Aus give different names to their year levels so it is very confusing just going from state to state let alone from an international school!

Guest jogrant3232

My son is 13 and doesnt like school. We have just told him that in oz you are at school untill you are 17 and he is gutted...

Archived