What happens at the medical?

KathB35

We have been asked by our CO to arrange medicals, and are in the process of booking them. Can anyone tell me what actually happens at the medical? I know you have an X-ray and a blood test, is there anything else (e.g. sight test, lung function test etc..)?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hi

They take your weight & height, eye test (a numbers chart like at the opticians). Chest x-ray for TB, Urine test and Blood test for HIV. If you have piercing or tattoos you may have to have a Hep B test (costs extra!), they also check your arms for needle marks. I have heard some get quizzed about general heath and lifestyle but we didn't.

It took us about an hour each, really simple, but we have no health problems so may be more in depth if you have declared any conditions or medication.

Hope this helps, good luck :)

there are some threads on here- I had mine done saturday £375 - looked in my ears back of throat- read one line on eye chart, blood pressure, urine test,pulse,height, weight, asked me to touch my toes and reach high and do a squat, listened to my chest, a breast examination, chest xray and bloods, chat about lifestyle. I am going as a nurse and seems to vary it a bit from clinic to clinic but not much. good luck :D

We have been asked by our CO to arrange medicals, and are in the process of booking them. Can anyone tell me what actually happens at the medical? I know you have an X-ray and a blood test, is there anything else (e.g. sight test, lung function test etc..)?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

No lung function test.However if you wear spectacles.Take prescription.

Urinalysis for blood,glucose, proteins.

Chest xray. And blood test for hepatitis.

Blood pressure.if more than 90/140 they make ask for ecg.BBut dont worry.its normal

Edited by saadbakhtyar

Guest JonnyNI

Think everything has been covered in the previous posts but just letting you know you should have nothing to worry about!!! Unless there is a genuine medical problem that could potentially make you a burden to the state ie. cost them money you will fly through!!!

Good luck, Jonny

I had mine tonight andmy only advice would be to wear clothes you can easily take off for the x-ray, and wear nice underwear as you have to strip down to your undies in front of the doctor (which I found highly embarrassing and I think I had reached a new low with this visa process!) Apart from that it is a breeze!

Oh! Drink water before you go so you can pee on demand!

Lisa

x

• Thanks 1

Hi, went for my medical at Medibank around 2 weeks ago and cost $319. First I had a chest X-ray which I had to remove my shirt and hug this machine that takes the x-ray. Blood - Urine was also taken, an eye sight test, weight - height was also done. With the doctor she listened to my breathing, checked my eyes, my ears and my throat. She also used this hammer thing on my knees to test my reflexes. Then that was it all done, apart from you are not allowed to know the results. They come in a sealed envelope that is stamped and taped that says DO NOT OPEN. They won't tell you anything even though it goes on file digitally for immigration to access too.

Nothing to be worried or scared about!

My BMI is like 36. I don;t have high blood pressure or anything. I feel very well and I haven't been to a doctor for more than 10 years, but I'm trying to loose some weight to feel even better and be faster when I play basketball. Thanks for the info.

• 5 years later...

With regards to the medical you will undergo a brief physical examination with the doctor. which would consist of checking for height, weight, blood pressure and an eye sight test.

You would also be required to give an urine sample on the day which would test for blood, protein and sugar.

The blood test would be a HIV blood test.

With regards to the medical you will undergo a brief physical examination with the doctor. which would consist of checking for height, weight, blood pressure and an eye sight test.

You would also be required to give an urine sample on the day which would test for blood, protein and sugar.

The blood test would be a HIV blood test.

The question was posted in 2012. Hopefully they’ve had the medical by now