If the uk had the weather

Perthbum

Guest Guest63690

I love the UK weather, with its clearly marked seasons. The first daffs gets always puts a spring in my step, and then my garden looks stunning in May and June. Then we have lovely summer days, not as many as most of us would like, but when we get them we relish them. Then the leaves start to change and then comes my favourite season, autumn, which never fails to disappoint, with its stunning arrange of colours. Then last but not least, winter, which gives me the perfect excuse to hibernate, when I get the chance, and curl up in front of an open fire with a good book and a hot chocolate. Like everyone else, I found this constant rain a drag, but its the wettest summer since records began, for a century, so I almost feel privileged for living through it....lol (yes I am a glass half full person).

When people are getting all excited about leaving the UK for better weather, remember oz has its fair share of inclement weather, from heat waves that kill people in their droves and trigger horendous fires, to torrential rain that goes on for weeks and weeks and leads to life shattering floods.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/09/australia-floods-continue_n_806541.html

In relation to Perthbums original post. This spring I visited Bude in Cornwall for a short break and loved it, and I am off to Cyprus for my hols in October. A five hour flight, which is just about bearable for someone who is not a happy flier. That is what I love most about the UK. The proximity to so many interesting countries, with their different languages, cultures, Histories and landscapes. I looked at a map the other day and noticed that Oz was about as big as Scotland to Gibralter one way and UK to Romania the other, and then I thought about all the interesting places I can visit being a European, compared to where those living in oz can get to, using up the same travel time. So though I would not always holiday in the UK (though I do some of the time). We are best positioned for great holidays with great weather and a change of culture etc.

I geuss if your not a Europhile, that wouldn't be an issue though.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble is if the UK had the weather it wouldn't have the scenery. It would also be incredibly busy and expensive at any decent holiday destination. I have a Nephew who lives and works in Biarritz and he came here for a visit. I took him down the local beach on a lovely day and there was loads of free parking available and not that many people on the beach. He couldn't believe that

1. Free parking was available close to the beach and

2. There was hardly anyone there.

He said on that type of Day in Biarritz you would be lucky to find a car park anywhere near the beach and if you did it would cost a lot to park and when you got there it would have been packed. They had to travel an hour out to find a beach that was quite enough for them to get a bit of space.

I know the UK has some nice beaches but they are few and far between with a lot of average beaches in most places.

why is everyone justifying their decision to move? we all have our own reasons and they are ours and ours alone.

the fact is , the uk doesnt have the weather that Australia does and if it did it wouldnt be the UK. that argument might work with the millions of drones who go to Benidorm every year and spend all their holiday by the pool/beach and the rest in the british pub trying to get some pies and beans cos they cant eat the "foreign muck" the sell in these foreign places! thats hardly broadning your horizons.

for the more cultured amoung us we have a miltitude of reasons for wanting to live somewhere different, and if its the weather then fine. go right ahead!! I love the sun, and i love the snow, but the snow i prefere when im on holiday. I for one am sick of battling through the snow to get to work in winter because the councils were all taken by surprise, Again! or the flooding or working outside in -25c, with no glimour of hope that we'll get a nice summer to make up for it. as far as im concerned this country has two seasons, the wet season and the wet&cold season.

so for that reason.............. im out!

If you just cant fathom it PB. I dont care!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
That should win post of the month!

You must be jesting gal, have you forgot my ..... Drink your own pee post, to help with a hangover? Lol

Care to think again?

why is everyone justifying their decision to move? we all have our own reasons and they are ours and ours alone.

the fact is , the uk doesnt have the weather that Australia does and if it did it wouldnt be the UK. that argument might work with the millions of drones who go to Benidorm every year and spend all their holiday by the pool/beach and the rest in the british pub trying to get some pies and beans cos they cant eat the "foreign muck" the sell in these foreign places! thats hardly broadning your horizons.

for the more cultured amoung us we have a miltitude of reasons for wanting to live somewhere different, and if its the weather then fine. go right ahead!! I love the sun, and i love the snow, but the snow i prefere when im on holiday. I for one am sick of battling through the snow to get to work in winter because the councils were all taken by surprise, Again! or the flooding or working outside in -25c, with no glimour of hope that we'll get a nice summer to make up for it. as far as im concerned this country has two seasons, the wet season and the wet&cold season.

so for that reason.............. im out!

If you just cant fathom it PB. I dont care!

Good for you, shame you live in Scotland to the rest of the uk that has 4 seasons, and if you think you get gaurenteed weather in oz ......I would think again.

tara for a bit.

That should win post of the month!

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my first ever win! im i still elligible for best newcomer?

I dont need guaranteed weather, just halfway descent/reliable! if you need a guarantee, death valley or the atacama desert are about the only places you can go!!

As the weather (and the scenery) has never really played a part in where we choose to take our holidays, my answer would be yes, we'd still holiday abroad or move abroad.

We holiday to visit new places, have a break somewhere be that in the UK or overseas. Experience new cultures, languages and see the sights. Sure the UK has some gorgeous places but the world is a small place these days, its nice to see a bit of it while we have the chance.

Guest Rodster

All roads lead to the UK. People can condem it all the want. It may have its problems but who would not after hundreds of years of history. You dont know how good the NHS is until you leave the UK. Miss the pubs, pints and chip buttys.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
All roads lead to the UK. People can condem it all the want. It may have its problems but who would not after hundreds of years of history. You dont know how good the NHS is until you leave the UK. Miss the pubs, pints and chip buttys.

You have really sold it to me, I think with these couple of nice summer days as well out of the last 8 weeks, it would be madness to leave.

You dont know how good the NHS is until you leave the UK.

NHS is a waste of time. even have to suffer waiting for a docs appt even though i use private medical care. when my gran died last year i couldnt help but think what a sh@t hole the hospital ward/room was. it looked like it was last renovated in the 70's,

As for pubs pints and chip buttys, i have a wider outlook than that, i think ill be ok.

I can imagine if the weather was better London would be an easier place to live. Even if only for three months a year of guaranteed sunshine. The feeling in London is really different on a nice day. Folk tend to embrace it. The world is out and about on the streets. Rather easy to connect with folk on warmer days. Parks full of people. Yes I could imagine very well being contented to contine living there with a bit more sunshine.

Guest Rodster

So your basing the whole NHS on one hospital. Perhapes your broader outlook should extend to that also.

I agree with sampling different cultures and food and I have never been in a British pub abroad and eaten pie and chips and I do not know anyone who does, I suppose that is why I go inland away from the packed beaches to taste the REAL country.

just think after sampling mosy of Europe I and many others would not bother with. Holidays abroad if we could have gaurenteed weather but would happily holiday in scotnd England Wales.

plenty do, the sort that also move to mindare or joondalup to be with the rest of the brits and shop in the 'british shops'. Sad if you ask me but it takes all sorts I guess.

So your basing the whole NHS on one hospital. Perhapes your broader outlook should extend to that also.

Nope, that was just an example. another example if you like, being on the waiting list for a procedure for over 7 years and still waiting!

wife got same procedure within 2 weeks on private.

Guest Rodster
Nope, that was just an example. another example if you like, being on the waiting list for a procedure for over 7 years and still waiting!

Great if you can afford private

Bugger off to oz then and take out a mortgage for a tooth extraction.

7 years, can't b life threatening then...what s it then? Boils?

Bugger off to oz then and take out a mortgage for a tooth extraction.
That's not very nice now is it? I feel some true colours are appearing :unsure:

jealousy i think!

not life threatning, but important none the less.

and private medical care is not that expensive and a lot of companies will help you pay for it as a salary sacrafice. It costs £35 a month for my wife and I.

Archived