O/h on regular medication, can we get it posted from uk?

bennyboy

Hi everyone,

Is my o/h allowed to get his regular medication posted over to Oz from UK?

If so, is it x-rayed or scanned at customs/airport and would they open it or dispose and would there be any charges?

It's just to save money as medications can be quite pricey in Oz.

Has anyone done this or currently doing it regularly and never been questioned about it?

many thanks!

They seem to xray everything these days, we have had parcels that have been opened and resealed.

I do not think the Aus customs would be very keen on this and I am sure your doc in the UK would not want to prescribe with no visits. Also I do not think the National Health Scheme in UK would be keen on this as everyone would be doing it.

No, not as I understand it. He will be living overseas and won't be able to get his GP to prescribe more than a few months worth to take with him. You are supposed to notify your GP if you move out of the area and the prescriptions and your medical care are taken on by GP in new area, or in your case overseas.

I just checked the NHS website . It says

Moving outside the EEA

You will not be covered by healthcare paid for by the UK if you

Are going to live permanently outside the UK.

It also states you must notify your GP so they can remove you from the healthcare database. And more. Go read it :)

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/movingabroad/Pages/Livingabroad.aspx

Guest The Pom Queen

I know someone who flies back to the UK every 6 months sees their Dr and comes back over with 6 months supply, personally I think it would be cheaper to get them here.

Guest littlesarah

Having a GP in the UK is all well and good, but if one is taken ill, it's a bit hard to ensure continuity of care and good case coordination! There is a cap on prescription charges, so where a drug costs less than that, you only pay the lower price anyway; and there is the safety net for people who require multiple drugs. I don't really see the point in committing fraud just to save a few dollars.

If a GP knowingly prescribes drugs for someone who resides overseas, they would be on dodgy ethical ground, I believe. If a patient has lied (or failed to reveal the correct information) to a health professional in order to obtain a prescription or intervention, then they have placed the healthcare professional into a difficult situation, and I would consider the patient to have behaved in an highly unethical manner.

It's really easy to be blase about obtaining prescription drugs when you're not the person responsible for prescribing, issuing or administering them, but even those drugs that have been around for a long time and are known to be relatively safe can cause problems, and who do you turn to if the person who's responsible for that is 12 000 miles away? I would be concerned about possible adverse effects on the drugs if they've travelled all that way in unknown conditions - heat, cold, humidity, all can affect the chemicals contained within a drug, not to mention what happens if your drugs are seized by customs and immigration.

Archived