What will you miss when you go home ?

Guest Bart10

Going to miss the sunshine, living next to the ocean, my sister and her kids, the squawking birds (seriously, I love them), being able to get a decent coffee almost anywhere, mountain biking in the bush, being able to cycle up to North Head to watch the whales pass by, that feeling you get for most of the year of being on holiday every weekend...

Reading this I'm actually wondering why I'm going home!

Ping pong.

My partner and our daughter!

Seriously;

My one really good mate in Australia - although hopefully he'll make it home too one day.

Harbourtown Shopping Outlet in Melbourne.

Melbourne's parks.

The gentle humour and good manners of the Asian communities in Melbourne and the vitality they bring to the city.

I do miss the weather, beaches, fifi and jules.

Oh and Aussie weetabix !

My hubby won't touch UK Weetabix. Says they are so different to Aus Weetbix. When we last in Aus he ate loads of Weetbix to make up for it :laugh:

And he misses his FU Ice coffee. Hasn't been able to find anything close to it here in the UK.

I'm here until Mar 2015 but when I do eventually leave I know there will be things I will miss ...... the sunshine, the wonderful free bbq's, the public toilets and showers, some beaches, whales, turtles, lorikeets, in fact all the nature (but not the crows) Southbank in Brisbane, and some other lovely places I have visited, Manly in Sydney, Fitzroy Park Melbourne, and some parts of Tasmania.

Heading back cos I have not settled at all and have been very homesick . We are in Canberra . Really excited about going home as we both have landed jobs at home and don't regret coming out here as nothing ventured nothing gained !

We emigrated from UK to Canberra november 2011 and really enjoying it, i do understand though if it is not for you it si not for you. How long you been here and can you shed some light on why you want to go home?

I am quite surprised as I had no idea ANYONE who wasn't Aussie liked Aussie weetbix. I can't stand it. But I do kind of miss the kebabs in Oz all rolled up and lovely with garlic sauce. yum.

Completely agree!. Genius with chips on a Friday night!

Guest Bart10
We emigrated from UK to Canberra november 2011 and really enjoying it, i do understand though if it is not for you it si not for you. How long you been here and can you shed some light on why you want to go home?

We are here since November 2010.

I have two young children and another one on the way . I am a stay at home mum here which I would not be at home as child care is so expensive here , I don't want to be a stay at home mum . I have a great job at home , it's my husbands job that was insecure and he suffered big pay cuts . I guess I struggled to settled because of lack of support with the young kids and also missing my job . Also the cost of living here really annoys me and that is me coming from rip off Ireland , bearing in mind we get no medicare here .

Luckily my husband has a job to go home to now and I really believe that we will be financially better off at home , considering our monthly mortgage is almost the same as our weekly rent here . And we will receive child benefit at home as well .

I missed my lovely life at home and we came out here because my husband had no job at home , and we are not exactly living the dream here ! !

Guest gerry22

i came out on a 457 in january and was given the work trial in sydney...made friends etc withworkmates and had a good crowd around me roughly 40 or so people. i returned to uk in april to get wife and 5 kids and was bk here within 2 weeks. i was then sent to my new workplace based in Geraldton...only seen the place 1nce and was told lots of familys etc great place to live...so we set up home ,nice big 4x2 next to beach on the outskirts of what thy think is a city but we r from scotland and to us its a bloody town..i was also told there would be at least 5 or 6 people workin with me out here so it would be good with good money ,good hours.

heres the problem......only 3 people in depot i work,none of the other two speak to you , 1 even asked me when i first arrived :why can thy not get an aussie to do the job instead of using immigrants,he never speaks ,thy just dont like foreign workers,,,maybee its just the west....kids started school and has had nothing but trouble ..no one will befriend them, the parents try every excuse in the book not to pass on contact numbers.. my wife went to a local play group with our 2x tots and started talking to a lady and she just got up and left....kids wont settle and we have even went into other schools looking for other uk familys,but no luk......

weve disgusted ourselves with here and i rekon we will be heading bk after our lease is up.....

i came out on a 457 in january and was given the work trial in sydney...made friends etc withworkmates and had a good crowd around me roughly 40 or so people. i returned to uk in april to get wife and 5 kids and was bk here within 2 weeks. i was then sent to my new workplace based in Geraldton...only seen the place 1nce and was told lots of familys etc great place to live...so we set up home ,nice big 4x2 next to beach on the outskirts of what thy think is a city but we r from scotland and to us its a bloody town..i was also told there would be at least 5 or 6 people workin with me out here so it would be good with good money ,good hours.

heres the problem......only 3 people in depot i work,none of the other two speak to you , 1 even asked me when i first arrived :why can thy not get an aussie to do the job instead of using immigrants,he never speaks ,thy just dont like foreign workers,,,maybee its just the west....kids started school and has had nothing but trouble ..no one will befriend them, the parents try every excuse in the book not to pass on contact numbers.. my wife went to a local play group with our 2x tots and started talking to a lady and she just got up and left....kids wont settle and we have even went into other schools looking for other uk familys,but no luk......

weve disgusted ourselves with here and i rekon we will be heading bk after our lease is up.....

sorry to hear that gerry ...........f..k em i say ...........how ignorant ............my nephew is working in port headland ..........he was born in the uk but you would never know it ............he sounds proper aussie ........but supports the poms...........over a few beers his loyalty came out , this lead to a bit of grief ............and some p..ssed up bloke pulled a blade on him .............in front of all these other blokes in the yard ............my nephew put him on his backside .............bullying over...........strange that .

As my nephew said " most aussies are all piss and wind "

Hi Sorry about the way things are going,we arrived here in October 2010 on a 457 visa. My daughter started year 4 . I have always been the one to invite her School friends over, none of the Aussie mothers have ever asked my daughter to their home in nearly 2 years it's damn rude. I've leaned that they don't give just take. I'm heading back in 3 weeks time and bloody pleased. When we arrived and I woke up the next day I though what a s---tH---e in the west I was so sad to leave my Home which was beautiful. I hope your family get through it it's hard but been happy is more important than some over hyped Country. Good Luck.

Archived