recommendations for child-friendly eateries

woodsy16

Hi all

As the title says really, can anyone with children recommend nice places to eat that are child friendly, we have a 3 yr old and are looking for somewhere to enjoy a nice evening meal that isn't Nando's or a burger chain.

We are in South Canberra but North doesnt take much travelling!!

Thanks

Kate

Guest Ptp113

Anywhere that guarantees no MSG. If you aren't aware of what MSG does to a kids nervous system you should be.

Several of us have got together at the Woden Southern Cross Club before for an early evening meal. That was quite good, obviously not top class restaurant material, but quite reasonable fish and chips or steak type of thing. You have to be a member but a family membership is only $12 per year. The Hellenic club in Woden is supposed to be very good as well but I haven't been there myself yet.

Thanks both for your suggestions. I had been wondering about the Southern Cross clubs Jurls as they seem to be everywhere, not far from us in Mawson so might have to give it a try. Can you just turn up and sort out your membership or do you have to organise it beforehand?

kate

You can just turn up and sort out your membership. They'll give you a temporary paper membership card and will post you a proper one out, takes a couple of weeks. That'll get you into any of the SC Clubs although Woden I think is the best (certainly for kids), although the Fish and Chips at the Yacht Club are apparently quite good too, seasonal though so summer only. We also liked the fact free tea and coffee was available at the Woden SCC. Not that we're tightarses or anything. LOL

Guest The Pom Queen
Anywhere that guarantees no MSG. If you aren't aware of what MSG does to a kids nervous system you should be.

Have to agree as I have a terrible allergy to MSG it's like I've been drugged, the room spins, I get clammy and usually throw up before I get out of the door.

Hi all, I've just been reading this thread and would also like to thank you for the suggestions, having only been here 3 weeks I find that really the only place we tend to go for eating out seems to be the mall food court in belconnen or any of the main fast food outlets!

Guest Ptp113
Hi all, I've just been reading this thread and would also like to thank you for the suggestions, having only been here 3 weeks I find that really the only place we tend to go for eating out seems to be the mall food court in belconnen or any of the main fast food outlets!

Canberra has more restuatants/cafes per head of population than anywhere else in the country according to oft quoted ABS figures. Surely you can find something?

I'm by no means an expert, we don't eat out very often and we live southside, but you could try the George Harcourt at Gold Creek sometime, you're the right side of town. And people keep telling me Dickson has some good eateries as well. The Clubs are good, our main eat-out location is the Calwell Club as that's where Pete's soccer club is linked to. We haven't tried the Southern Cross ones yet but I'm thinking it might be worth a try sometime given people's recommendations on here!

Ooooh the mall food courts are awful, I don't like them at all lol

If you are based in Hawker, the nearest Southern Cross Club to you is in Jamison. It doesn't have a good indoor play area like the one in Woden but it is child friendly and the food is very reasonable. Also, there are the West Belconnen Leagues Club (with indoor play area) and Magpies (haven't been yet so not sure on facilities) both at Kippax which are child friendly. There is also a Belconnen Soccer Club at Hawker shops which I imagine would be child friendly, although I haven't been myself. I'd definitely be investigating that if you want somewhere local. There are a number of other clubs around Belconnen too.

A fair amount of the restaurants around are child friendly too, maybe not so much the fine dining ones in the city, but there are certainly places out there. Chinese Inn at Kippax is one we've eaten out at with the kids for instance, although I tend to favour the clubs at the moment for mine, as the play areas keep them occupied for longer.

If you are based in Hawker, the nearest Southern Cross Club to you is in Jamison. It doesn't have a good indoor play area like the one in Woden but it is child friendly and the food is very reasonable.

I find the food pretty dire at the Jamison SCC, but the outdoor play area and tables are great when you're with kids (when the weather is warmer)

Well we did it and finally went for a meal at Woden Southern Cross, it was nice not to be in a food court or Nando's, although I did get the chicken!

Play area was good for the little one, not massive but at least something! The food was decent, priced reasonably, portions were great and cooked to order. Will definitely go again, but would say that it isn't a 4* restaurant so don't expect fine dining!

Kate

Archived