The difference within the States

stillhere

Hey all

I've been here 4 years now (& it is for me :yes:) I have a nosy & poke about on here every so often but full of cold and ultra bored with the fire on and the sun beaming throught the windows will always seem strange! So I thought I'd see what other people think about the differences in states

I have spent time in all the states but have lived long term (12 months+) in WA & Qld and it amazes me that many people think if they don't like one part of Australia then all of it is the same there are some major differences these are MY OPINIONS from what I have noticed from my experiences I know not everyone will agree but feel free to add your's from any state

Before I go any further I want to say that I love Australia all the states but feel qld suits my lifestyle more

WA - flies from nov - feb SW WA is invaded by flies to the point where they can be crawling in every orifice possible

Qld - Sand flies these buggers will get you all year in the right place nasty nasty!

WA - there's alot of money in WA but to earn the money you will work damn hard and usually unsociable hours

Qld - everyone seems to live for the weekend, as long as they got a beer & rod in hand on a Sunday they are happy

WA- very natural not as developed when you leave the major centres nice to have the rugged coastline but can be hard to get to some of the worlds best beaches

Qld - unless you get out of the major areas beaches are very busy especially SEQ but you don't have to go far to beat the crowds

WA - Prices & choice is very limited once you leave Perth, having to send an item for repair can take weeks & lack of choice also increases the price

Qld - every day general living items are cheaper

I will add more as I think add yours too :)

Guest Guest16631

........some interesting points.........never lived in WA. So cannot comment.....btw clontarf is a beautiful place..........look forward to the kite fest every year.......be interested to see some more comparisons.......

Have only actually lived in Victoria and Tasmania( have only visited all the others , some for several weeks at a time)

Tas- fabulous natural scenery, heaps of wildlife ( excluding the Taswegians!), cold in Winter- many don't work at all because there aren't that many jobs. Grow veggies, natural lifestyle, arty types - great fishing and even freshwater fish, black yabbies etc

Melb- much more diverse than Tassie, heaps of opportunities but not so much of a 'wild' and 'pristine ' feel. Can't say what people do at w/ends because there is so much variety but a lot go to cafes, restaurants etc which are superb.

WA- completely different more of a beach culture -shops are not very good so this is not like the Melbourne shopaholic culture.

Qld- laid back and relaxed but more of a heavy drinking culture than Melb. plus beaches of course

NT- hard to comment - real Aussie stereotypes. Darwin- friendly but hot. Booze and crocs.

NSW- so big that it varies a lot- Sydney a bit more frenetic than Melb and more 'beachy'

Adelaide- food glorious food. Quaint, maybe a bit boring?

Tas- fabulous natural scenery, heaps of wildlife ( excluding the Taswegians!), cold in Winter- many don't work at all because there aren't that many jobs. Grow veggies, natural lifestyle, arty types - great fishing and even freshwater fish, black yabbies etc

Agree with most of your comments except for the jobs bit. The labour participation rate is a bit lower than the national average, but not hugely different - 61% compared to 65%.

Without wanting to ruin the thread I think the differences within each state are often far bigger than between the states.

Life in fertile country a few hours from Brisbane would usually have more in common with life in the country a few hours from Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide or Sydney than local urban life. Beach life would often be similar around the country. Inner city life, suburban life, outback life, regional town life all often have more in common with their equivalents in other states than other life styles within their own state. Yes, weather, nature, flora and fauna differ but usually not as much affect on life as the difference between life styles inside each state imo. Of course some states don't support each type of life style equally so that can drive your choice of state.

Guest Guest68570

Melbourne- Generally colder climate than everywhere else, easier to adapt to if you are from Europe. Nice beaches but not as nice as other areas. More of a sophisticated, city culture. Interesting, exciting, multicultural something for everyone- you can't get bored in Victoria!

Sydney- Nice beaches, arrogant people. Grossly expensive. everywhere where it fails Melbourne makes up for.

Adelaide- Nice beaches, hot. Good culture. Quaint, and yer a little dull...

Brisbane and Cairns- Hot lots to do, fun. But a hard climate for us poms to adapt too.

Perth- Never been...

Sydney, lived there for a few years, humid climate, nice if you can live in and around the harbour and up on the north shore. Expensive, harder to get good rentals. Clubs abound.

Melbourne, cosmopolitan, great coffee, can look drab but hides an inner sole that is heaving. Nice beaches in Greater Melbourne, inner city ones are just beaches. Lots of sport action and Melbournians love sport. Never stuck with something to do and lots of free stuff as well.

Weather four seasons of the year which suits us, always something to look forward to. Love Spring, Autumn and Winter, not so keen on summer.

Adelaide smaller, nice city, great in the hills surrounding. Hotter than Melbourne in Summer.

Perth lovely city, great beaches, needs to move to the East lol

Tassie lovely place but the thing that makes it so good is also the thing that makes it hard to live their, its an Island.

Brisbane, love to visit, not to live, climate would not suit me.

I sometimes think if we had emigrated now we might have given Queensland a go because of the great beaches etc. I could picture myself somewhere on the Sunshine Coast but then I do like the cold Winters down here and not sure I could cope with the early morning rising and exercise regime the Qlanders seem to like. Can't beat a nice lie-in with a cup of coffee and a newspaper!

Thanks for adding guys. Starlight I understand the early morning Qlder bit lol I think most qlders think there is only one 9 o'clock in the day ;) and as for the warmer winters I am yet to see it this year its blady freezing and very wet atm so I suppose what ever you expect expect change & be happy :)

Archived