Moving to NSW maybe Illawarra Region

Paul B

Hey all, visa done and flights booked for 3rd July. Going to Melbourne first to the company head office to sort a load of stuff and then i move to NSW.

As i am the Territory Manager for NSW i can live wherever i like but the Illawarra region looks very tempting and will probably go there as i want to be by the sea.

Dont need to be in the commuter area for Sydney as will only have to go there for the airport sometimes so maybe find somewhere a little cheaper, only need a one/two bedroom small place and only going with the bags i will carry with me as storing my house in UK.

Any recommendations ( i have searched and read the load of info on here already) but things go out of date.

I have emailed many letting agents but none reply!

See you all there soon :biggrin:

Hey, I just moved to Woonona from Ireland.

I can recommend it, Bulli, Austinmer and Thirroul as great places to live, by the beach, close to good schools, shops etc.

It's competitive to find a rental, you really need to be here in person.

Guest manykids!

Hi I have just been looking at those places you mention on the real estate website and the houses seem to be much more reasonable than "The Shire area where we are currently looking - I was just wondering how long it takes to drive up to Sydney airport and down to Wollongong from that area? Thanks :)

Hi I have just been looking at those places you mention on the real estate website and the houses seem to be much more reasonable than "The Shire area where we are currently looking - I was just wondering how long it takes to drive up to Sydney airport and down to Wollongong from that area? Thanks :)

My brother lives in Thirroul and it takes him around an hour to get to the airport.

I would only need to go to Sydney for the airport, i believe that Wollongong has its own regional airport with flights to Melbourne which is what i will need most of the time.

I will actually be spending more time driving around the state for my work so looking at the Illawarra region but where is the best road to go directly inland as dont want to waste time driving up and down the main highway before cutting across the mountains.

I would only need to go to Sydney for the airport, i believe that Wollongong has its own regional airport with flights to Melbourne which is what i will need most of the time.

I will actually be spending more time driving around the state for my work so looking at the Illawarra region but where is the best road to go directly inland as dont want to waste time driving up and down the main highway before cutting across the mountains.

If you need quick access to the west of the state then Wollongong is not the best place to base yourself.

There are no quick roads west from Wollongong. The escarpment is very high and very steep all along the Illawarra and it basically extends the whole length of the state in some form. (It's not called the Great Divide for nothing :wink:)

The Picton road is your only real option for getting to the Hume Highway to get to the rest of the state. You'd have to travel north a bit to get on it and it's famous for accidents but it's relatively straight. The Illawarra Highway west is not recommended for a quick route - it's lovely for a scenic drive but also narrow, windy and slow.

The Hume is pretty good to get to most places. It's a faster route (though longer) to get from Sydney to the mid-west towns (like Forbes, Parkes etc) than it is to go over the mountains via Katoomba. To be honest, if you really need to travel that way a lot you might be better off basing yourself in the Southern Highlands - around Bowral or Mittagong rather than the Illawarra.

I also wasn't aware that there were any scheduled flights from the only airport near Wollongong (Albion Park). I thought it was just a general aviation airport. You might want to double-check that you can fly to Melbourne.

Cheers for that. I really want to live by the sea as i am a water baby at heart and is one of the main reasons for the move to Oz, i have looked at the areas you said and will explore when i get there to make a final decision. As i will probably be on the road for the week at a time i can afford to spend a bit more time getting to and from home address. Thanks for the advice.

As i will probably be on the road for the week at a time i can afford to spend a bit more time getting to and from home address.

If you're not going to do the drive that often then it's feasible. I'd stick to the northern Wollongong suburbs though as they're closer to the Picton Road and for access to Sydney Airport.

Around Thirroul is nice. :biggrin:

Bulli is nice. We live in Sutherland Shire and often go down that way to the beach. It is a beautiful area, and had oh not wanted to be closer to work in Hurstville we would have seriously considered moving there. As it is, because of the hours he works, and having young children, the commute would have added too much to his working day and he wouldn't have seen the children in the evenings.

• 1 month later...

hi we've been in figtree for the jast 4 years or so, beautiful area, I couldn't imagine living anywhere but the illawarra. Look into that Melbourne flight though, I'm pretty sure they've knocked it on the head.I took the flight a couple of times and they were talking about stopping it a few of years ago.

Take care and enjoy

Steve

Hi all, We have booked flights today to Sydney after securing a nursing job in Nowra..:biggrin: I would be very grateful for any advise on rental property and popular areas to live....there is still so much to do and so little time to do it..flights booked for 15th October...many thanks Deb & Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My Family and I are moving to Bulli. We are currently renting in Cronulla, but it is far too expensive and there is no community here. We moved here from the UK in January and are still looking to meet some really nice people. How are you finding life in Woonona?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! We are in Woonona and used to live in Bulli, this whole area is great. We moved from the UK 2 1/2 years ago and have been down this way for 2 years now. There is a great community feel, especially if you have children and join the schools, well at least it makes it easier anyway.

Nowra is a little further down, so I can't give any advice on good areas to rent I am afraid. Good luck with your journey though and enjoy your last few weeks in UK.

Hi all, We have booked flights today to Sydney after securing a nursing job in Nowra..:biggrin: I would be very grateful for any advise on rental property and popular areas to live....there is still so much to do and so little time to do it..flights booked for 15th October...many thanks Deb & Alec

I've only just seen your post. There are some nice areas to live within an easy drive of the hospital. Have a look at North Nowra, Cambewarra, Bomaderry. If you don't mind a drive of around 30mins you could look at the coastal villages - Huskisson, Vincentia, and areas around there.

Nowra is in an area known as The Shoalhaven. If you google that you will find lots of info.

The only area to really avoid is Wreck Bay and the areas close to it.

This link will take you to homes currently for rent in the Shoalhaven. However, be warned - The Shoalhaven covers a huge area so if you see something you like the look of double check how far away it is from Nowra.

http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/nsw/rent-residential/shoalhaven/11218910

• 5 months later...

Archived