Help on Notice of leave

SW1

Hello,

I am making the move down under in September and I really don't want to leave it until the last 4 weeks to hand my notice in at work.

If I tell my employer now, is there anything he can do to get rid of me sooner? I don't think he will, but if anyone knows where i stand with this legally that would be great!

Thank you

S

Why even bother risking any comeback whatsoever?

They might not get rid of you sooner but they might make work arkward for you.....

Just hand in your notice 5-6 weeks before you leave, offer to leave after the 5-6 week period instead of after 4

That way if work are funny with you only have to put up with them for a few weeks, rather than 3 or 4 months of it

I intend to give my boss about 9-10 weeks advise of my plans even though I only need to give 4 so he has a chance to replace me. I'm flying out at the end of September but am waiting for the house sale to complete and the money to be in the bank first.

Legally they can do nothing other than magically make your post redundant which takes a fair few weeks to go through anyway and they would probably end up paying you more.

Depends what you do as to whether they can make work awkward or not but they have to be very careful to not end up in front of a tribunal !

Good luck :wink:

Thank you for your replies, I understand it's a risk but I would love to give him as much notice as possible. I'm the project manager at the company, and involved in the running of the e-businesses also so I can see it being quite a lengthy hand-over...

Thinking personally I want to help and make sure I don't drop him in it, but after reading your responses I think I'll wait.

I'm on holiday the first 2 weeks of July, so I think I'll do what your doing StevieF8 and give 6 weeks...

Again, thank you all.

S

Archived