Are you a cat or a dog person?

Guest The Pom Queen

I like both. I grew up with cats, but we had a dog when our own family was small. Like a previous poster, as far as I am concerned it has to be a big dog, not overly fond of small dogs, they always seem to have something to prove! Oh doesn't like cats, but he's never lived with one.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People usually have a preference between cats or dogs, I just wondered if you had and the reason why.

I love both the same although I think dogs are more loyal, faithful and obedient, cats just do what they want when they want.

Dog.

And chickens and horses. Pigs are pretty good also.

We have kept cats in the past but since Cooking fat (named Cookie originally though) died there have been no more. I think my main gripe about them as an adult and with a young child who plays in the back garden is the amount of cats using it for kitty litter and the risk of illness to kids. And the damage they do to the wildlife.

I am sick and tired of my neighbours cats using our garden to crap in. I shoo them out, spray water on them and a few other things but they still persist. Its alright for my neighbours who own the blooming things, their garden is cat crap free and not stinking. Sometimes I want to collect it all up and post it through their letter boxes :mad:

Roll on Aus where I hope we will live in a cat curfew zone and they are confined to their owners gardens and homes on a 24/7 basis.

Cat person here:biggrin:. I like that they are independent and moody, affectionate one day, distant the other - like me:wink:. If I ever had a dog it would have to be a REAL dog ( no offense to owners of little dogs) like German shepard or Labrador retriever. There is no chance of that since my husband dislikes dogs :frown:

Guest Longtime Lurker

Dog person - just love going out for a walk at 6.30 in the morning in the pouring rain even in winter. And, our dog does not differentiate between weekdays and weekends so no lie in - love it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14612[/ATTACH]

Edited by Longtime Lurker
Adjust picture

Dog person - just love going out for a walk at 6.30 in the morning in the pouring rain even in winter. And, our dog does not differentiate between weekdays and weekends so no lie in - love it![ATTACH=CONFIG]14612[/ATTACH]

What a handsome hound :)

We have a child like that lol. Up with the larks no matter what day of the week.

Guest Longtime Lurker
What a handsome hound :)

We have a child like that lol. Up with the larks no matter what day of the week.

Don't you feel like saying just 'one lie in pleeeeez'!

Should add we've kept so many different breeds of dog over the years. Dachsunds, Gordon Setters, GSDs, Dobermann's, whippets, x breeds (collie cross, whippet x and others) a JRT, also known as the hound from hell, a poodle (so blooming intelligent), springers, labs and more. Some have been working dogs but lived as part of the family aswell.

I've fostered for dog rescues also and so had some weird and wonderful doglets through the door over the years. Patterdales, JRT, staffy x's, pug x, lurchers and so on.

My heart is with Dobys, a stunning breed and also whippets but I'd love to own a Vizla, pug and Frenchie one day. Not all at the same time though :wacko: I'm leaning toward a Doby in the future, especially as our son gets older. But I'd have a houseful of whippets if my hubby would let me (I live in hope).

Edited by Guest

Definitely a dog person. I've grown up with dogs and just find them more fun, you can take them for walks, they are always happy to see you and you can play with them. Whereas cats are very independent and prefer to do their own thing. That's not to say that I don't like cats but if I had to choose I'd take a dog. Although saying that if someone offered me a horse I'd take that above a dog or a cat every time:biggrin:

Guest Longtime Lurker

Forgot to add another downside to dogs aside from the early mornings and that is the overwhelming desire to annoint themselves with fox wee. Not nice, not nice at all!

Today demonstrated a plus of cats over dogs. Chester looked out of the window at the weather and said 'Nah, I think I'll have a lie in'. Hamish looked out of the window and said 'Yeees, walkies!'. So we went out, thunder, lightning, torrential rain, soaking trousers, trainers, socks.

chestersleep.jpg

chestersleep.jpg

Today demonstrated a plus of cats over dogs. Chester looked out of the window at the weather and said 'Nah, I think I'll have a lie in'. Hamish looked out of the window and said 'Yeees, walkies!'. So we went out, thunder, lightning, torrential rain, soaking trousers, trainers, socks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14625[/ATTACH]

how could anyone not love that kitty?

Several people have mentioned the downside that cats catch birds (no, I don't like it either). How many have said 'thank you', or mentioned the plus side, of them catching vermin? People complain very vocally if they have an infestation of mice, or 'extra large very long tailed mice' (sorry, I can't say 'r***). Mine used to control both very successfully. Of course here he has to compete with the snakes to catch the mice. He hasn't brought me a single bird in Oz, but has brought home dead rodents.

If you have a problem with a cat visiting your property (pooing or not), you can buy a thing called a 'Scarecrow'. It's a kind of motion detector garden sprinkler. Set up the motion detector and set the range. Set up the sprinkler on the hose and turn on the tap. After the detector 'sees' the cat there is a slight delay to let it get into the middle of the range, then the sprinkler switches on, and it makes a loud clicking noise. After 1 or 2 soakings the cat will not return. It won't like it, but it won't get hurt, only wet. If you have your own pet, just shut them in at set times when you can switch it on so that they don't get caught by it. This works for other unwanted visitors too, such as foxes if you keep chooks. :smile:

I don't mind what shape or size the animals I have are - all mine have been 'unwanted' or rescue cases - cats, dogs, horses....

I've had three Rotties - rescued one dragging a metal chain on a motorway....was the gentlest thing ever....

Many horses came with 'issues' including the black in my avatar....

My present cat used to climb up on the horses' saddles when she was a kitten (& the horses let her) but one day in country Queensland she was picked up in the paddock by an eagle - & even more amazingly - dropped....

Broke her pelvis - but, after being confined for six weeks with a Rottie for a constant nurse & companion - survived....

People thought I'd lost the plot when I said she was coming to the UK with me along with the dogs (don't have the Rottie any more, he passed away from old age before I left) but how could I leave her ?

She's still going strong.....

One dog I'd love to have one day is a chocolate labrador - I think they're gorgeous.....

If you have a problem with a cat visiting your property (pooing or not), you can buy a thing called a 'Scarecrow'. It's a kind of motion detector garden sprinkler. Set up the motion detector and set the range. Set up the sprinkler on the hose and turn on the tap. After the detector 'sees' the cat there is a slight delay to let it get into the middle of the range, then the sprinkler switches on, and it makes a loud clicking noise. After 1 or 2 soakings the cat will not return. It won't like it, but it won't get hurt, only wet. If you have your own pet, just shut them in at set times when you can switch it on so that they don't get caught by it. This works for other unwanted visitors too, such as foxes if you keep chooks. :smile:

All well and good and agree as it probably will help but my point is why should I have to keep spending money to stop other peoples cats? I've tried a few things but don't want to have to keep spending more. When you want to be in and out the house, also have a child who just lets himself into the garden etc, getting a soaking isn't the ideal lol.

I am investigating some smelly to cat stuff and a pulse thing as a motion detector requires a hose and sprinkler purchase also. And our garden is in two tiers and am not sure it would detect cats on the lower level.

Also, here in the UK things like slow worms have taken a real hit from being cat toys/food. They have no defences against cats (other than to drop their tail off) and numbers have declined in recent years and it is thought cats play a big part in this. Same with shrews and voles. I'd not mind if they killed and actually ate their food but often they just play with their catches and the creatures suffer a long drawn out tormented death. I've seen it no end of times. Some are good at vermin catching but many don't really catch rats. The cats we've kept, I've only ever seen one with a rat and she was a farm cat kept for vermin control and did a good job at it. Saying that, our friends cat was a rabbit catcher and wow, was good at catching them. And used to eat them (they purposely kept her for vermin control also and made sure she wasn't fed too much by them so she hunted the many rabbits in their large garden). She wasn't a bird catcher, only ever saw her bring back rabbit carcasses and she would eat them over a day or two).

I like cats, have kept them as pets in the past but now in good conscience cannot keep them unless they were kept as house cats only and I don't personally hold with that.

And dog owners don't think for one second that those who don't clean up after their dogs when out and about are not also on my rant list lol. Its bloody awful to see dog crap in public spaces and so on. There are dog bins all round, pick it up and bin it! :mad: And yes, I am that person who will walk over to a dog owner who is not picking up the poo and hand them a spare bag or tell them if they pretend have not noticed. And hand them a bag if they claim they ran out. You have a pet in a public space, you darn well better be responsible and clean up after it. Many do, those that don't make the rest look bad I'm afraid.

Sorry, bit wandering off topic, but it explains why I prefer dogs over cats :cute:

Guest Longtime Lurker

"And dog owners don't think for one second that those who don't clean up after their dogs when out and about are not also on my rant list lol. Its bloody awful to see dog crap in public spaces and so on. There are dog bins all round, pick it up and bin it!" - I agree 'Snifter'; even in the Winter when it is dark we clear up after our dogs! The group I walk with (their age ranges 60-84) all clear up after our pooches as we take torches with us and keep our eyes on them at all times. What I can not abide are owners who don't bother to see what their dogs are up to - or deliberately do not watch their dogs.

Guest AKA63029

Generally a 'dog' person, but Ruth's cat (Ratbag) is quiet and often sits with me in the office, BUT.

The new kitten that my daughter bought only two weeks ago could change my mind. If the bloody thing jumps on my feet and claws once more when I walk in the room 'it' will find itself in the 'Green Waste' bin.:laugh:

we had one of those scare crow contraptions to stop the Heron from robbing our fish, it was fine until we got a dog (our Mr T who died .. ) he just used to love to stand under it and take a shower, I remember one day he came in soaking wet and filthy dirty, I think I might have the photo will look & post it .............

Agree with you guy´s over dog crap, we always take out little plastic bags with us, twice last week a dog had crapped on our lawn, not funny, I think I may know whose dog it is, but I am not one for arguing over a bit of dog pooh, but don´t get me wrong if I see it I will have a go.

I stood in some last week in the park not amused, especially when I tramped it through the house, fortunately we have tiles in the hallway .............

Going to look for that photo

Guest Shell15

So cute! I have a Shih tzu..gorgeous little things they are. So full of fun! How does he /she cope with the heat? x

So cute! I have a Shih tzu..gorgeous little things they are. So full of fun! How does he /she cope with the heat? x

Sadly we lost him in February but we have another one, she has been brought up in the heat, so is fine, she spent last summer in Spain, we just keep them indoors .... and well hydrated.

They are lovely dogs just like little people, so intelligent, she is lost without her buddy, we all are, such a sad time, but nothing we could do, we adopted him so I feel so so sad about him, he was only 7, and I just feel as if he had no life, we spoiled him rotten but just wish he was here with us, nearly crying writing about him, he has a very special place in my heart.

Guest Shell15

How sad and very devastating! They are like our babies..we are bringing our one out and so he doesn't get lonely we planning on buying another one to keep him company while we are at work. At the moment he comes to work with me everyday and spends very little time on his own, so Oz is going to be a bit of shock to him..bless. Hope he copes alright with it! Couldn't leave him though x

Yes it was devastating it really upset me, I am still having trouble getting over him. It is the little things like when we moved into this house and I was unpacking and I found all of his adoption papers, I just broke down. I brought is ashes out with me, and they are now sat in a quiet room, and I say hello to him everyday, he was so lovely.