Welfare Worker

degs

Hi,

I'm looking for some more advice,

I have been speaking to a Migration Agent and they have pointed me in the way of welfare worker.

I work as a Senior Residential Officer ( I manage a care home for adults with learning disabilities) I have a NVQ level 4 in health and social care ( which is the same as a AQF advanced diploma)

I am wondering if anyone has been successful in applying on this visa, I know that I would pass skills assesssment as my qualification is enough, I am worried that my experience is not enough as I am not a welfare worker or social worker although I have a wide range of experiences in social care.

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Degs

Work wise there is quite alot about for carers ,support workers etc.As for experience most agents wont take you on unless you have a pretty good chance of gaining the visa.Who have you spoken to? visa bureau and go matilda seem 2 of the most reliable companys to use,you never get many bad reports about them

Cal x

Work wise there is quite alot about for carers ,support workers etc.As for experience most agents wont take you on unless you have a pretty good chance of gaining the visa.Who have you spoken to? visa bureau and go matilda seem 2 of the most reliable companys to use,you never get many bad reports about them

Cal x

We went with visa bureau with my wife where they wrongly advised us on my wife's qualification, I have since found out that the people who you are given as case workers are actually just clarks and not registered agents, I think a man called chris cook is the registered agent for them.

any way I have spoken to a number of agents and have looked at the criteria and I do fit the bill, the only stumbling block is that you need to have completed some study on psycology and I haven't but I could easily get this in a reference.

I have been looking at the student visa, completiing the one years welfare working course, this would give me what I need and therefore would also have more than the required 900 hours work experience as I would find a care position to go along side my study.

Do you think this is a good way of doing it?

Degs

I used Visa Bureau and they were great ,even offered a money back guarantee ,im suprised to hear they did that,it lets them down.! There are lots of restrictions with a student visa,(hours you can work,partner can work,benefits etc) im by far an expert but think youd be better trying for a sponsership visa if possible,maybe Alan will pick up on this thread as he knows the ins and outs.good luck with everything

Cal x

I know the welfare officer at our hospital trained in social work and generally does a social workers job for people who are in hospital, sorting out pensions, centrelink, housing etc. Don't know if this is generally what welfare officers do or if that umberella covers a lot of different roles/job descriptions

Ali

• 1 month later...
Guest daniell

Hi fellow social workers thinking of coming down under...

Australia has NO registration for social/welfare work, so what you call your self is not important social or welfare.

The industry asks for a minimum qualification a 2 year dip in social or welfare work

The Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW)is really only interested in you if you studied a course they approve, a 4 year course, although many are 2 years arts and 2 years S/W .

However ...The Australian Institute of Welfare and Community Workers (AIWCW) is the inclusive professional association they have an approved 2 year Dip and 3 year degree, also they have a pathway B for similar qualifications.

IMPORTANT- FOR the Migration points AASW and AIWCW both award the same 60 points and the same professional insurances.

So save your money and apply straight to AIWCW and save the drama of being refused by AASW or told you can spend money doing one their study courses.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest apples14

hi degs,

sorry i cant help but would appreciate knowing how you get on.

I am currently working for mencap looking after people with learning disabilities and challenging behaviour.

I am starting my nvq level 3 but am hoping to get to oz on my wifes skills..

Any information you could give would help

thanks and goodluck davey

Hi i am in a similar position to you having to look at pathway B if I want registration as a welfare worker- this would mean a portfolio of evidence which I cant face as it is like having to do an NVQ all over again!!!!! therefore i looked at a 50 point occupation which means you go through vetassess and simply have your qualification assessed against your nominated occupation dont know if this would help but perhaps community work may be somethign to look at!

Guest apples14

thanks Rocky,

i have looked at various job sites and community support worker seems pretty close to what i do now without the challenging behaviour and forensics..

May have to start at the bottom but im sure it would be worth it..

Thanks again for your advice

good luck davey

No worries Davey - Once you are living in Oz you would prob. find you would be able easily to get your skills recognised by employers anyway -it is just getting a nominated occupation sorted out for immigration purposes at not too much expense, time and effort which is close to your skills base. You wouldnt be tied to that nominated occupation once you are in!

Archived