Moving to Melbourne - help and advice

Guest gavinandkatieuk

Guest gavinandkatieuk

Hello everyone

Myself and my wife arrive on the 30th jan in melbourne to live and work. We are trying to obtain a house via rental so we can collect key the day after we arrive (or if not then the actual day of arrival) so that we can start getting used to the are and also save money on hotel bills etc....

We have contacted numerous real estate agents but they are either not responding to email queries or are asking us to visit the property tomorrow as there is an open day ( slightly difficult when 10500 miles away )

Just asking if anyone has any good links to real estate agents or has gone thru this process themselves and can give us some advice

Thanks,

Gavin

Hi peeps,

sorry, but

I am going to do the usual and say Welcome-18-june.gif to P I O :):jiggy:

and say that I cannot help you with this one, I have feeling what you are trying to do is not possible but there are some very helpful peeps around who will be more help than me I am sure:)

You really need to be care full about arranging rental accommodation over the Internet

I saw on the Internet what looked ok a nice area South Yarra on the website.

Only a four-month lease which would suit me.

When I got there the smell knocked me back truly a sticky carpet affair.

And they had the cheek to expect over 1000-dollar bond.

They eventually took it off the market after wasting over a several dozen peoples time.

Hotels are expensive in central melbourne

close to 100 dollars per night. :no:

Probably best going for budget hotel accommodation

The best rate I could get was 390 dollars per week

(this will increase in the new year)

That is on little Collins Street Melbourne.

It is shared bathroom.

close to a parliament train station

www.citycentrebudgethotel.co.au

There are cheaper hostel,s near victoria market they are more for a backpacker

so a little rough.

or go for a short term holiday let for a few weeks.

I'd be going for a short term holiday let - try stayz.com.au for a nice range and you can book online. If you can afford a 3 - 4 weeks in one then that will give you some time to find something else. I guess you are looking at realestate.com.au for some rental properties.

The rental market in Aus in general is quite tight at the moment but you really would be best to actually see something before you plan to move into it!

I'd be going for a short term holiday let - try stayz.com.au for a nice range and you can book online. If you can afford a 3 - 4 weeks in one then that will give you some time to find something else. I guess you are looking at realestate.com.au for some rental properties.

The rental market in Aus in general is quite tight at the moment but you really would be best to actually see something before you plan to move into it!

Agree with the previous posters................. you really need to go and physically see beforehand anything you contemplate renting as a thumbnail photo in a promo shoot may look fine and dandy once blown up............ but it's the general surroundings that count most.

You need to get a feel for the area............... weigh up the pros and cons by actually being there and feeling all the positive vibes.......... or lack thereof. How close is public transport............... what's the neighbourhood like.............. if applicable how close are the schools and more importantly what is the standard of same?

As a real estate agent my job is to promote all our properties be they for sale.........or for rent.............. and I do that by advertising in both the print media and online. I sometimes sell a property sight unseen; usually to overseas buyers............. but i always recommend that at least someone checks out the property on their behalf first rather than they dive in feet first and purchase something that isn't to their liking.

We bought sight unseen years ago in Wanneroo.............. we bought a real lemon and it cost us big-time as it turned out to be indeed a very costly mistake over the years in terms of crap area, crap house, loads of repair work needed, lack of maintenance done in past, no capital growth re resale value............ in fact the total opposite. As such i wouldn't want anyone else to make the same mistake we did.

In your situation............ I'd be apt to get down-under first and get to know the lay of the land prior to you signing up a long term rental agreement. It's very important you check out the neighbourhood first................. it can be quite costly to get out of legally binding rental agreements!

good luck

We arrived in Melbourne on 5th Nov and were lucky that work had sorted us out a furnished serviced apartment until end of Dec if we needed it. That said the location wasn't great with constant noise at all hours of the day so I reiterate what the others have said in that you really should see what you are committing to before you do so or you could well live to regret ( and with a typical minimum tenancy period of 12 months not great if you choose badly) As for ourselves I really started in the first week after arrival found somewhere within a week and we moved in on 1st Dec so you should be able to source something pretty quicky once you are here. I will gladly pass on details of the various agents I contacted if it helps and feel free to pick my brains about any other questions you may have as a new arrival to this great city.

Good luck

Hugo

Guest Andy Thomas
Hello everyone

Myself and my wife arrive on the 30th jan in melbourne to live and work. We are trying to obtain a house via rental so we can collect key the day after we arrive (or if not then the actual day of arrival) so that we can start getting used to the are and also save money on hotel bills etc....

We have contacted numerous real estate agents but they are either not responding to email queries or are asking us to visit the property tomorrow as there is an open day ( slightly difficult when 10500 miles away )

Just asking if anyone has any good links to real estate agents or has gone thru this process themselves and can give us some advice

Thanks,

Gavin

G'Day Gavin

It will be very difficult to secure an unfurnished rental from the other side of the world, you really have to be here. If you need quality furnished accommodation at a fair price and you dont mind basing yourself on the Mornington Peninsula have a look at our website below. Best of luck.

Andy and Kath

I would consider taking Andy (above post) up on his offer,as the others have said securing a rental from the Uk is very difficult and extremelly risky.You need to personally view a property with an agents itinery and tally up their report with your own.Not many folks seem to get their full bond back and lots of the reasons are pathetic but true.You should try and book a short term let for around 3 or 4 weeks ,which gives you time to get your bearings and paperwork organised.Good luck,i hope everything goes ok

Cal x

Guest Andy Thomas

Hi Cal, thanks for the mention, I see you used to live in Bury. Where abouts were you? I lived there for 20yrs in Hollins and now we are both doing short term furnished accommodation by the looks of things. Have you got a website up and running? We could do reciprical links

Andy

Guest Andy Thomas

Its Hollins Lane, I lived on the estate at the bottom of Hollins Lane, my mother, sister and brother still live in Hollins and I bet at least one of us knows your friend if they've been there a while. I can't think of a good enough reason to change my avatar though.

Andy

Guest Andy Thomas

Just remind him that red wasn't better than blue last time they met LOL. Your friend's name doesn't ring a bell with me but I moved out years ago, will speak to family to see if anyone knows them.

Andy

• 1 month later...
Guest itskaren

Sorry not sure if my previous emai arrived? We have a 3 bed fully furnished cottage in Mt Martha 300 metres from the beach. (clarkes avenue) We need to move for work purposes and our landlord has said she is happy for us to sublet. We pay $450 plus bills. (you are welcome to have a look at the contract etc) It will be available 30th Jan to 8th June ifyou are interested. Kind regards karen

• 1 month later...
Guest Pinhead

Drop Sam / Catherine an email at MPS (Melbourne Property Solutions) m.p.s@bigpond.com.

They are a small 2 person agency with limited property but I found them excellent

When I moved to Melbourne in 2004 I flew in Saturday morning (having previously arranged a viewing over the internet) viewed on the Monday & decided that day the apartment was for me. I would have moved in the next day but I had a hotel room booked until the Friday!

I rented a 1 bed furnished apartment in the Paramount Building (corner Bourke & Exhibition) for $400 per week including a car park space. I had the option to sublet the carpark space for $150 pm so the rental was only really $365 per week. Oh an MPS office is in the Paramount building as well which helped!

Archived