Is $750 dollars basic take home pay decent money?

Hey guys,

I've been contacting companies in Melbourne regarding Arborist work and have been offered a job with a take home pay of $750 plus $300 dollars

for a Saturday..

Does this sound ok?

I wouldn't need my own tools or vehicle so no outgoings to begin with....

We'll be looking to rent to begin with and are looking at around the $450 per week mark.

My wife will be working as a part time teacher with a take home pay of $600

Will we have a few shillings to enjoy our lives??

Thanks Peter

Hi,

Is that a week Peter My husband is an Arborist and is currently looking for work in QLD so I would be interested to know the answer to your question.

Thanks and good luck, Kath

Yes Kath thats per week to begin with... Its utility arb clearing the powerlines and the company are very keen to employ climbers. They work in all states

I'll pm you the name of the company and hope you get a bit of luck Peter

With a total income (cash in bank) of between $1350 and $1650 per week I reckon you'll be OK mate and still have some spare most weeks, dependant on the lifestyle you want / are used to.

For info we get by comfortably, nothing flash, in FNQ on around $1200 a week (generally less, sometimes a bit more, dependant what we do / what bills come in) (this includes us running 2 cars.....and paying for my nicotine habit).

Hi,

Is that a week Peter My husband is an Arborist and is currently looking for work in QLD so I would be interested to know the answer to your question.

Thanks and good luck, Kath

The company I work for supplies Arb gear to companies in FNQ. If you want I'd be happy to provide you with details of some companies that your hubby may want to contact if you are considering relocating to this part of QLD?

Depends on certain things, what type of visa do you have, will your wife have a right to work in Australia. Do you have Children?

Ha! Guess I should've mentioned our three kids 4, 2, and 1 oops!!

We're going for the 175 visa and according to our agent Suzanne will meet the required criteria to teach in Oz...

Probably changes things a tad...

It depends where you choose to live as rents are cheaper on the outskirts of Melbourne. Also need to shop rather than just buy everything from the supermarket.

Also your wife may not get a part time teacher's position straight away, teaching is a bit hit and miss. A lot of contract work, no permanent positions unless the teacher has done the hard yards these days.

So my view just do not rely on wife's money work on your money and then you will not fall in a hole if it takes time for her to become established.

There are many posts about teaching in Victoria on this forum.

We're going for the 175 visa and according to our agent Suzanne will meet the required criteria to teach in Oz...

Depends what type of lifestyle you have now, do you have an extended family that help with your young children, if you wife is looking to work part-time then all her salay will be paid out on childcare, Your wage you have quoted is pretty poor, with three kids on that type of money you will struggle, not easy getting teaching work here especially part time. So you may have weeks and weeks just living on one wage. All I can suggest is researh, research and more, if you are well cashed up before getting here you may be ok you know have enough for cars, decent place to live, etc etc.

Depends what type of lifestyle you have now, do you have an extended family that help with your young children, if you wife is looking to work part-time then all her salay will be paid out on childcare, Your wage you have quoted is pretty poor, with three kids on that type of money you will struggle, not easy getting teaching work here especially part time. So you may have weeks and weeks just living on one wage. All I can suggest is researh, research and more, if you are well cashed up before getting here you may be ok you know have enough for cars, decent place to live, etc etc.

Thanks Byrned,

We know it'll be tough at the start but we're just treading water here... We have a simple lifestyle and the wage I quoted is a basic starting wage as my qualifications from here aren't recognised so the company will put me through the relevant courses and then my money will increase.

As you say most of this is all research and I'm checking everyday...

It'll be a while before we're there so hopefully by then I'll get a clearer picture of what to expect.. some family are visiting Ireland at the end of this

month so we'll have them round for dinner and a good talk about it!!

They all went out there with the bare minimum and have done really well and are very happy

Thanks for your honesty, Peter

Guest kianobeano

Hi Peter,

do you mind if i ask if that 750 is after tax, what is your yearly before tax, just so i can get an idea myself

Jen

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hey guys,

I've been contacting companies in Melbourne regarding Arborist work and have been offered a job with a take home pay of $750 plus $300 dollars

for a Saturday..

Does this sound ok?

I wouldn't need my own tools or vehicle so no outgoings to begin with....

We'll be looking to rent to begin with and are looking at around the $450 per week mark.

My wife will be working as a part time teacher with a take home pay of $600

Will we have a few shillings to enjoy our lives??

Thanks Peter

You will also be able to claim child family allowance, it isn't much but every bit helps. The figures you are quoting look plenty to me, i have seen posts from people living there who live well on less than the money you are quoting, best of luck.

Mate, I wrongly assumed (and I should know better / what can happen when you do this) that it was just the two of you, so to set things straight just wanted to let you know that my figures were based on me, the missis and a fur baby.

Guest Anya

You may be better off with your wife staying at home as child care is so expensive that sometimes it is just not worth the extra money. Once the kids go to school, then she could resume her career. Also remember you will qualify for family tax benefits Part A and B (at base rate you should be getting around $210 per week, higher if your income is not very high and your wife isn't working). It is doable provided you don't waste money on lattes and shop sensibly!

Also, makes sense if you rent a small place close to transport and shops so that your wife is able to travel around and obviates the need for a second car.

Forget taking a mortgage until the kids are older and your wife starts working. Prices are most likely going to either stay flat or fall in Melbourne, fingers x for you :)

Good luck!

You will also be able to claim child family allowance, it isn't much but every bit helps. The figures you are quoting look plenty to me, i have seen posts from people living there who live well on less than the money you are quoting, best of luck.

No disrepect ropey but you can not say to him the amount quoted is plenty, 750 dollars a week for a man, wife and 3 very young children is not plenty, believe me I live here and pay rent, utilities, food, petrol, car rego, car insurance, doctor bills, dentist, childcare, clothes, shoes etc etc and it is pants really.

This is why I ask questions on this forum, you not only get answers to the question you ask but find out info on child benefit etc...

In truth I am a joiner/carpenter by trade but after 2007 when the bubble began to burst I retrained as an arborist and absolutely love it!!

Getting paid to climb trees and get to see the countryside with every single day somewhere different!! I have been researching and my relatives in Melbourne

reckon I could make $1100 a week without overtime as a formworker..?

I'm just researching to see if it would be feasable to live on a smaller wage doing something I really love...

I think God willing if I get work as a formworker/joiner it'll give us a great start though I think at some stage I'll want to go back to the tree work..

Thanks guys for all your advice

Keep er lit!! Peter

Yes Kath thats per week to begin with... Its utility arb clearing the powerlines and the company are very keen to employ climbers. They work in all states

I'll pm you the name of the company and hope you get a bit of luck Peter

Hi, Sorry to jump in too, but my hubby is also an arborist and we are moving to QLD in Oct, so if you could pm the name of the compnay to us aswell that would be great.

We used to live in Melbourne, before coming back and he used to work for a big arb company that paid about $1000 a week before tax, I will pm you their details if you like

As for money, we will be in the same boat except I am not qualified, just a carer, but will be part time with 2 little ones. I think it really depends on your lifestlye, we are used to scrimping and living frugally.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
No disrepect ropey but you can not say to him the amount quoted is plenty, 750 dollars a week for a man, wife and 3 very young children is not plenty, believe me I live here and pay rent, utilities, food, petrol, car rego, car insurance, doctor bills, dentist, childcare, clothes, shoes etc etc and it is pants really.

He said 750 dollars and 300 dollars for overtime and 600 dollars his wife will be earning as well, you mis-read it. Mind you, Quoll also made the same mistake as you, so you weren't in your own.

I agree, this looks very low. AUD1000 for a six day week is insulting and with three kids is not sustainable.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I agree, this looks very low. AUD1000 for a six day week is insulting and with three kids is not sustainable.

His wife is going to be earning 600 dollars as well, can't people add up, they will be on 1650 per week.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I keep sticking up for the British education system, but when Brits can't do simple arithmetic, i find it increasingly hard to prove my point.

He said 750 dollars and 300 dollars for overtime and 600 dollars his wife will be earning as well, you mis-read it. Mind you, Quoll also made the same mistake as you, so you weren't in your own.

Hoff overtime is never guarenteed sometimes what you get promised can not always be relied upon. As such with his wife I know quite a few teachers here who are struggling finding teaching posts, let alone part-time posts. His wife has not secured employment yet so until you have a contract in your hand with a start date with a salary it is yet again not fact, just a possibility of what could be, when you are starting again with a wife and 3 young children, a salary of 750 per week is pants in my opinion it will be a struggle for them, living here their rent alone will take half of that before they even start. I do not wish to get into a slanging match with you but I am only stating facts as I see them and live them.

Archived