Beautiful Tasmania

Guest RichB

Guest RichB

Tasmania is fantastic, definately the best part of Oz..I find the scenery similar to England in some ways, with beautiful green hills, endless white sand beaches which maybe England doesnt have...Only 500,000 people in a country two thirds the size of England..the rivers and forests are unbelievably beautiful..with huge trees and wildlife everywhere..We have wedge tailed eagles and sea eagles land in the trees behind our house...The wildlife here is fantastic...saw a tassie devil in the field next to our house the other day..The national parks are fantastic but as usual there is more government sponging with a national park entry fee, I really hate that word fee, you see it everywhere here..Anyway the only problem in tassie is the lack of employment..but Iam noticing alot more people from NSW and especially Queensland are relocating down here, for a simpler lifestyle away from the opressive heat, floods and money grubbing chaos..Its so peaceful here...its nice to be away from the mainland or Australia..We have Platypus in the

local river also..they are unusual creatures...If you want to live in a place in oz similar to UK scenery I would recommend Tassie anyday its lovely..

I hope the scenery isn't too close to the UK - the search for wilderness and wild places is the main reason I'm emigrating to Tasmania in September.

Luckily, I beleive the state is still covered in about 65% forest cover, you would have to go back many hundreds of years to find this in the UK and forests are my favourite environment.

I agree the UK countryside can be pretty, but countryside is not wilderness. As soon as I realised that the UK was basically a massive farm, even the North of Scotland is just a sheep farm, it hardened my resolve to seek out places where the landscape has not been entirely crafted by people.

I hope the scenery isn't too close to the UK - the search for wilderness and wild places is the main reason I'm emigrating to Tasmania in September.

The nice thing about Tasmania is that it has both. And I'm sure there will be more than enough wilderness to make you happy. And more than you probably realise: if Tasmania was flattened out it would be the largest state in Australia.

And the wilderness is so accessible - just on the other side of the mountain to the right is the capital city:

http://www.rosebay.tased.edu.au/webcam/camera_files/Aerial/images/rolling_hills.jpg

Guest RichB

You will definately find that wilderness and wild places in Tassie,thats why we moved here...couldnt find it in WA..The nice thing in Tassie is you dont have to drive far to get to all these beautiful places. There also seems to be alot of unspoiled forest areas although it can be quite disturbing to see all the forest destruction through mans filthy hands as well..but more than enough left to get that good feeling of being in a remote, wild place away from all the bedlam..We live not too far away from Leven canyon and that place is truly amazing...Also fantastic national parks such as Rocky cape NP, narawntapu etc..fantastic. I never thought I could live in Oz forever until I discovered Tasmania..

This is all very encouraging for someone like me preparing to emigrate in September.

The people on the Tasmanian forum seem so much more positive and upbeat than the other states......

I think that the wilderness and wild places thing will ensure that I am more likely to stay in Tasmania than some others who emigrate for purely economic reasons that will undoubtedly change over time. There is no way the UK is going to regrow 65% forest cover any time soon and produce a pristine coastline.

Whereas, I expect, one happy day, we'll rediscover $2.50 to the pound and sausages will be cheaper in Coles than Tesco and all the whingers will be happy again!

But it won't be enough to make me return:cute:

This is all very encouraging for someone like me preparing to emigrate in September.

The people on the Tasmanian forum seem so much more positive and upbeat than the other states......

We are just nicer...or luckier! :wink:

Thought you might be interested in this - in the suburb of South Hobart, and just 10 minutes by car from central Hobart.

http://www.alexwisephotography.net/blog/2008/04/09/strickland-avenue-hobart-waterfall/

Tasmania is a great place to live. The beautiful scenery is everywhere you go. You don't have to travel far to transition between being in a forest, up a mountain, by a river or at the beach. I could not imagine wanting to live anywhere else!

• 4 weeks later...
You will definately find that wilderness and wild places in Tassie,thats why we moved here...couldnt find it in WA..The nice thing in Tassie is you dont have to drive far to get to all these beautiful places. There also seems to be alot of unspoiled forest areas although it can be quite disturbing to see all the forest destruction through mans filthy hands as well..but more than enough left to get that good feeling of being in a remote, wild place away from all the bedlam..We live not too far away from Leven canyon and that place is truly amazing...Also fantastic national parks such as Rocky cape NP, narawntapu etc..fantastic. I never thought I could live in Oz forever until I discovered Tasmania..

Well now, thanks to your post, all the masses of Perth will be migrating soon as well to Tassie - right behind you! :biglaugh:

Guest matthemason

That's not all that makes Tasmania beautiful apart from the odd multistory monstrosity of raw concrete the architecture is some of the best in aus, Hobart is the 2nd oldest city in aus all convict built (most of the old stuff anyway) as the main two building materials back then were wood and stone and the stone is about 200 years old (give or take a million years) now and sadly falling apart and thats were I come in as a stone mason, well that's the plan I'll keep you posted as I'm ladding on the 18th June.

Guest RichB

I believe you are correct in what you say..Once the mining boom collapses, I can see Tassie being flooded with refugees from the mainland, trying to escape the hoards...God Tassie really is paradise..

So

That's not all that makes Tasmania beautiful apart from the odd multistory monstrosity of raw concrete the architecture is some of the best in aus, Hobart is the 2nd oldest city in aus all convict built (most of the old stuff anyway) as the main two building materials back then were wood and stone and the stone is about 200 years old (give or take a million years) now and sadly falling apart and thats were I come in as a stone mason, well that's the plan I'll keep you posted as I'm ladding on the 18th June.

The old stone buildings are such an important part of our European heritage in Tassie. So glad you are arriving to help preserve them. :wubclub:

I believe you are correct in what you say..Once the mining boom collapses, I can see Tassie being flooded with refugees from the mainland, trying to escape the hoards...God Tassie really is paradise..

Fortunately for us already here, most people on the mainland consider Tassie too cold, plus we are not overly endowed with jobs - so hopefully we will be spared the madding crowds. They can stay where they are and we'll just produce their food! Well, they can also come and visit, of course. :wink:

Fortunately for us already here, most people on the mainland consider Tassie too cold, plus we are not overly endowed with jobs - so hopefully we will be spared the madding crowds. They can stay where they are and we'll just produce their food! Well, they can also come and visit, of course. :wink:

Swap you a banana for an apple :biggrin:

Luckily, I beleive the state is still covered in about 65% forest cover, you would have to go back many hundreds of years to find this in the UK and forests are my favourite environment.

I agree the UK countryside can be pretty, but countryside is not wilderness. As soon as I realised that the UK was basically a massive farm, even the North of Scotland is just a sheep farm, it hardened my resolve to seek out places where the landscape has not been entirely crafted by people.

If you think there is not beutifull isolated places in Scotland Wales and England you need to get out more mate, I can walk for hours upon hours in parts of the uk without seeing another human being.

tasmanis does look like the Scottish highlands.

Loads of Aussies and Brits looking at tassie , expect a flood in the coming years....threads like this help.

If you think there is not beutifull isolated places in Scotland Wales and England you need to get out more mate, I can walk for hours upon hours in parts of the uk without seeing another human being.tasmanis does look like the Scottish highlands.
I don't see him saying anywhere that there are not beautiful isolated places in the UK.He said he was looking for wilderness - and that is different.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Hi Everyone I am a brand new member,

I have offered a little info about me on my profile. I suppose in short I am an early 40's lady whom immagrated to Au's many yrs ago in the early 70's.

I was indeed pleased to read that there is a catagory on this forum dedicated to Tasmania. I moved from Sydney bought my home & lived in southern Tas for 6 yrs until late 09. Deeply regretfully serious terminal illness became an issue in my family & I have had to move back to Sydney to offer my ongoing support. Alas my breathtaking gorgeous freshwater riverfront home on 4.6 acres I have rarely even visited in the last couple of yrs Only my house sitter remains there. Family matters & work dictate that I stay here in Sydney for the short term.

Indeed it is heartbreaking but I have had no choice but to put my lovely home on the market as it is far too imaculate & elaborate to rent out. I find it heart warming that UK folks find Tas so truly beautiful as I do. After I sell up & move on I dream I will one day be able to return to the only state which is truly representative of the laid back relaxed paradise Australia was when I arrived here as a child all those yrs ago.

Nowadays on the mainland it has become wound up ruthless madness. Even though Tas can be that slow one can tend to get frustrated with services at times it is worth it for the health of mind & body.

I hope you enjoy life in TAS as I so much did,

Kind regards skilledhansgirl.

Hi Everyone I am a brand new member,

I have offered a little info about me on my profile. I suppose in short I am an early 40's lady whom immagrated to Au's many yrs ago in the early 70's.

I was indeed pleased to read that there is a catagory on this forum dedicated to Tasmania. I moved from Sydney bought my home & lived in southern Tas for 6 yrs until late 09. Deeply regretfully serious terminal illness became an issue in my family & I have had to move back to Sydney to offer my ongoing support. Alas my breathtaking gorgeous freshwater riverfront home on 4.6 acres I have rarely even visited in the last couple of yrs Only my house sitter remains there. Family matters & work dictate that I stay here in Sydney for the short term.

Indeed it is heartbreaking but I have had no choice but to put my lovely home on the market as it is far too imaculate & elaborate to rent out. I find it heart warming that UK folks find Tas so truly beautiful as I do. After I sell up & move on I dream I will one day be able to return to the only state which is truly representative of the laid back relaxed paradise Australia was when I arrived here as a child all those yrs ago.

Nowadays on the mainland it has become wound up ruthless madness. Even though Tas can be that slow one can tend to get frustrated with services at times it is worth it for the health of mind & body.

I hope you enjoy life in TAS as I so much did,

Kind regards skilledhansgirl.