Things you have to buy for school.

Guest thepriceclan

Guest thepriceclan

Hi,

I thought I would post this for all of you soon to be here in Oz.

My son is 6 and goes to primary school. When they go to school here you have to buy everything. Pencil cases, rulers, rubbers, glue etc. It was a bit of a shock to me as I hadn't read it before in any forums that I am on. If you know people here then they will probably have told you this before.

The schools give you a list which has to be purchased at the beginning of every school year and the list is massive. It also depends on how old your child is to how much you have to spend. The older your child, the more stuff they need. Also here the bags they use for school at my sons school are large backpacks, luckily I had bought him one over with me as they are mostly brand names here and are not cheap. Definitely bring one with you if you can. They still have bookbags like the uk but you buy them from their school uniform shop.

The uniform is also only available from the school shop and is not cheap, not like going to Tesco and picking it up.

This post is making me sound really tight but when you first get here all you seem to do is put your hand in your pocket day after day so it is well to be prepared.

Sarah

ps. Feel free to ask any questions.

It was a bit of a shock to me last year too.This year Zak's book list for yr5 (he is 9) is just over $160 dollars,school contribution will be approx$35,any new uniform ,plus any more bills reguallly sent home throughout the year for art materials,author visits ,etc !!! I must admit this year i will buy some of the items off the list at other cheaper stores,tissues,pencils etc and cross them off the list,,,every cent counts over here,lol

Cal x

Guest thepriceclan

Hi there,

Definitely doing that too. I have been buying things from the list with my shopping and that way I haven't noticed it too much. Some of the teachers at school are adamant that thigs have to be bought from Wooldridges but my sons teacher said get what you can get cheaper from Big W.

When my little girl starts kindy next year I have to buy quite a bit for her too. Made me laugh that I have to buy for Taylor in year 2, washing up liquid and kitchen roll. I would love to know where they keep all this stuff that the parents provide.

Sarah

We also have a 6 year old and I have just ordered all his bits for next year. Including the school contribution of $30 it came to just over $217.

When we got here in June we bought him a big school bag (they all have them with the school name on) along with a reader and library bag. The uniform we bought from school, however in target they do sell the colours he has to wear so we did buy a few extra t-shirts, shorts etc as they are slightly cheaper although the quality is not as good.

Deb xx

Its funny my little one is in Kindy and I was really suprised at how much stuff you need to take on a daily basis. Fruit for morning tea to share, lunch box & bottle of water, snack for afternoon tea, spare change clothes, bedding for nap time, toothbrush & toothpaste. I have a massive bag everytime we leave the house. At start i had to provide 2 scrap books, pack of baby wipes and pack of tissues.......oh and $53 per day!

Em x

Its funny my little one is in Kindy and I was really suprised at how much stuff you need to take on a daily basis. Fruit for morning tea to share, lunch box & bottle of water, snack for afternoon tea, spare change clothes, bedding for nap time, toothbrush & toothpaste. I have a massive bag everytime we leave the house. At start i had to provide 2 scrap books, pack of baby wipes and pack of tissues.......oh and $53 per day!

Em x

$53 a day!!! What on earth is that for?

Guest mandy&Jem

Hey thats nothing, wait till they go to Uni, its costing me Seven and a half grand a year to do my course and ive got three children who may want to go to Uni later! Ive told them to start saving! lol.

Guest thepriceclan

My little one is going to kindy in feb and it is the same as nursery in the uk. They start later here (5 months). She was at nursery in uk but has to wait to go here. Pre primary here is the same as reception. Some people have to pay higher fees depending on what visa they have.

Sarah

Toms list for your 3 is $90.50 and $60 school contribution. Then there'll be incursions and excursions to pay for. My daughter starts high school feb and her list is massive $196, plus voluntary contribution/compulsory charges of $275.50 (which includes $100 discount for government subsidery).

Ali

Guest thepriceclan
So sorry if I am sounding thick but I understand there is also a pre-school or is that the same as prep?

Kindy here starts the year that your child turns four if they are born between July 1st and June 30th.

Pre Primary is the same as reception and they start this the year they turn 5 and are born between 1st July and 30th June. In the uk the school cut off date is 1st September to 31st August.

The only real difference here is if your child is born in July or August. They have to wait an extra year as they fall in a year below.

I hope I have put that right but my brain is doing a Worzel Gummidge at the moment.

Sarah

Guest lynneand mark

Pre-school education/care is different in any state so check out for where you are heading. In Queensland children are not entitled to any free education until their prep year which starts January for children turning 5 from the previous July 1st to 30th June of the year they are in prep (age 4 1/2 - 5 1/2). Bit confusing as all children don't have the same brithday in their prep year. The youngest will turn 5 and the oldest 6. There is a need for some sort of pre-prep education/care in Queensland. My son had completed one year of pre-school in uk and a year of school nursery (all free) yet when we arrived here he had 6 months of nothing till he starts prep in January. Lovely as it has been it would have been good to have just a couple of hours a day. Saying that, child care centres are plentiful here and very affordable compared to uk. And most people will get a subsidy from the government.

Lynne is right, my daughter was born 7/7/04 so she misses the school cut off by 7 days. This means that she will start prep year in 2010 so she will be 51/2 when she starts prep which I believe is 9.30-2.30 daily. Until then any kindy in private and my fees are $53 per day as I am not entitled to claim anything from centrelink due to the visa we are on.

O and I just found out today that even when they are closed for public holidays ie xmas day if thats your childs day then I still have to pay her fees even tho they are closed!

Em x

Guest crafty1

I know this may sound really thick but i just can't get it!

:err:I'm planning on getting to melbourne in april time. i have a 4 yr old daughter who is in reception now and will turn 5 at the end of june 08. i also have a son who will be 7 in june, he is currently in yr 2 at school, what year will they go into if any? Please help me understand:wacko:.

Melanie

I know this may sound really thick but i just can't get it!

:err:I'm planning on getting to melbourne in april time. i have a 4 yr old daughter who is in reception now and will turn 5 at the end of june 08. i also have a son who will be 7 in june, he is currently in yr 2 at school, what year will they go into if any? Please help me understand:wacko:.

Melanie

Hi Melanie,

It difficult as each state I think is bit different. My daught was due to start nursery in UK in Sept 07. She will not go to Prep (which is the year before year 1) until 2010 as she misses the 30th june cut off (like 30th aug cut off in UK). This is for Queensland. I know that there was a calender somewhere that you could put in your childs DOB and it told you when they would start etc for each state I will try and find it.

Em x

Guest crafty1

thank for that i would be very interested, having got used to her at school it will be very difficult for her not to return. her dob is 29/06/03

thank for that i would be very interested, having got used to her at school it will be very difficult for her not to return. her dob is 29/06/03

Hi,

I think she will be luck as she will catch the year before 2009 by one day, lucky you!

Preparing for School - A Preparatory Year for Queensland

This is queensland not sure where you are headed. The prep year has just been introduced here this year and it replaces the preschool year!

Em x

Archived