Passports???

klm081

Hi guys! Have seen people mention a few times now about getting new passports! Is there something I'm missing? Is this a visa requirement? Thanks in advance!

Hi In my eyes, and I'm sure someone will advise us........once you enter Oz on a Uk passport that holds your visa type......you then have to wait 5 years in order to apply for citizenship, only then can you apply for an Oz passport. So Im thinking that your UK passport to simplify things needs to be valid for at least 5 years (or you have the hassle of renewing it if it expires before you can get citizenship) Otherwise you could have the expense of paying twice, once for Uk and once for Oz (loadsa dosh if you have a large family)...I think.

Would be good to get somebody elses view of this

Hi In my eyes, and I'm sure someone will advise us........once you enter Oz on a Uk passport that holds your visa type......you then have to wait 5 years in order to apply for citizenship, only then can you apply for an Oz passport. So Im thinking that your UK passport to simplify things needs to be valid for at least 5 years (or you have the hassle of renewing it if it expires before you can get citizenship) Otherwise you could have the expense of paying twice, once for Uk and once for Oz (loadsa dosh if you have a large family)...I think.

Would be good to get somebody elses view of this

Sadly your eyes are wrong.

To get citizenship you need to spend 4 years in Australia. see - Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

Your passport does not need to be valid for at least 5 years - as your visa is linked to your passport electronically, if you get a new passport you fill in form 929 and update your passport details - or you travel with both passports. https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

As a UK citizen you have to enter the UK on your UK passport and vice versa to Australia.

If you enter Australia as a PR and never left again - you would never need to apply for citizenship, or UK passport or a Resident Return visa.

It may possibly be because it's cheaper to renew your British passport in the UK than it is to renew it in Australia? So if people know that their passports are going to expire soonish after they arrive, they are choosing to renew them before they leave instead?

Hi guys! Have seen people mention a few times now about getting new passports! Is there something I'm missing? Is this a visa requirement? Thanks in advance!

Your passport should be valid for at least 2 more years to get a grant or else your CO may request for new passports.

No they don't my wife's passport had less than a year on it and we got our visas ok without them even mentioning it.

A recent case in March thread was requested for new passports because they are valid for less than 2 years. Could be a case-by-case thing.

Most countries require 6 months validity on a passport when visiting, so if your emigrating on a permanent visa, I couldn't see there would be a problem even if there was a month left as your allowed to stay in the country indefinately.

Archived