Bloody Parents

blobby1000

The fact I have put all this on the forum is really due to our total inability to find anyone we can talk to about such things face to face in Australia!

Is there no one in your childrens' playgroups or staff where you work who would chat about such things?

I would have thought staff in a mental health unit would talk about anything and everything?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact I have put all this on the forum is really due to our total inability to find anyone we can talk to about such things face to face in Australia! Sometimes, in fact at all times, I think Poms in Oz has prevented me from joining my patients on the mental health ward I work on!!

:biglaugh: and that is why you need Expat friends so that you have someone to complain to about the locals, its the same in the UK for us Saffas.

I was sat in a cafe today with my wife and two children next to the cafe's playground which has a tree in it. When we arrived there were about 20 young kids running round the playground and about 10 in the tree. They were taking it in turns to break the branches off by climbing along and getting themselves into a muddle, clinging on and jumping onto a table to get down.

There was not one parent in sight. They were all inside the cafe drinking coffees presumably and having a nice little rest.

We were the only family sitting outside and we do this because we think it is a good idea to watch our children.

One girl aged about 7 performed a daring maneouvre in the tree and ending up hanging off it by her hands about 3 feet from the ground when she started shouting for her Mummy. Her Mummy was nowhere to be seen. The little girls friend offered to help, and in fairness she was never in a any serious danger, but the girl shouted "no I want my Mummy"

Eventually Mummy arrived and helped the girl down. On returning inside to her coffee she looked at us and hissed "thanks for your help"

Well, to be honest I have had quite enough of gobby Australians. I have been biting my tongue for months. And if there is one thing i cannot stand it is inattentive lazy parents.

So I got up, marched over to where she was sitting and in front of about 30 people I told her exactly what I thought of her.

She absolutely sh!t herself and maybe next time she may look after her daughter properly.

I would have done exactly the same. I too am sick and tired of gobby rude Australians! I honestly think I need to go back to England. My manners are Impeccable and so are my children's. Good for you.

Guest Ptp113
I would have done exactly the same. I too am sick and tired of gobby rude Australians! I honestly think I need to go back to England. My manners are Impeccable and so are my children's. Good for you.

Maybe we can have a whip round to help you on your way?

Well, to be honest I have had quite enough of gobby Australians. I have been biting my tongue for months.

We ran a business for 4 years. Part of the business involved retail sales ie a shop. If gobby was all that 60 to 70% of the customers were it wouldn't have been so bad. But no this 60 to 70% of Australia's finest were abusive, aggressive and violent it was so bad my wife had to leave the business as it was affecting her health. This attitude IMO is pretty much the norm for Australians, all friendly and smiles when they're getting their own way but the very instant that's not the case they kick off. I have lived and worked in other countries and can honestly say I have never come across people like this in such quantity anywhere else. And before some well meaning soul wants to stand up for them and tell me " it's just their way and they don't mean anything by it". Trust me they do.

Guest Shell15

Well we run our own business in the UK and have done for many years, I could say exactly the same thing. Unfortunately it is always the bad experiences you remember and which seem to cast a dark cloud over the good..running your own business is not easy at the best of time and awkward customers don't help!

Edited to include awkward AND rude customers don't help!

Well, to be honest I have had quite enough of gobby Australians. I have been biting my tongue for months.

We ran a business for 4 years. Part of the business involved retail sales ie a shop. If gobby was all that 60 to 70% of the customers were it wouldn't have been so bad. But no this 60 to 70% of Australia's finest were abusive, aggressive and violent it was so bad my wife had to leave the business as it was affecting her health. This attitude IMO is pretty much the norm for Australians, all friendly and smiles when they're getting their own way but the very instant that's not the case they kick off. I have lived and worked in other countries and can honestly say I have never come across people like this in such quantity anywhere else. And before some well meaning soul wants to stand up for them and tell me " it's just their way and they don't mean anything by it". Trust me they do.

This post warms my heart!! Thank you!! I thought we were the only ones who have spent 18 months scratching our heads and wondering where all these "friendly" people are.....

My feeling is its because they are just so exceptionally stupid, the olby way they know how to challenge anyone or anything is by shouting and swearing and intimidation.....

Is there no one in your childrens' playgroups or staff where you work who would chat about such things?

I would have thought staff in a mental health unit would talk about anything and everything?

Yes fair point, I did mention it to a nurse. But in general the nurses I work with keep their heads down and their thoughts to themselves and would not be terribly impressed by me moaning about an Australian. I would just be called a "whinging pom", or advised to |get back to your own country".

My point is that I wouldnt spent so much time on here if I had friends....you could argue if I didnt spend time on here I may have friends! Ha! But I beg to differ, I only seem to go on here after dark and Australia closes at 8pm (which I quite like, incidently!!)

I thought we were the only ones who have spent 18 months scratching our heads and wondering where all these "friendly" people are.....

We're in Tasmania..:wink:

My feeling is its because they are just so exceptionally stupid, the olby way they know how to challenge anyone or anything is by shouting and swearing and intimidation.....

So glad I live in this "backward" part of the country. Either that or I'm losing my hearing.

Guest Ptp113
Yes fair point, I did mention it to a nurse. But in general the nurses I work with keep their heads down and their thoughts to themselves and would not be terribly impressed by me moaning about an Australian. I would just be called a "whinging pom", or advised to |get back to your own country".

My point is that I wouldnt spent so much time on here if I had friends....you could argue if I didnt spend time on here I may have friends! Ha! But I beg to differ, I only seem to go on here after dark and Australia closes at 8pm (which I quite like, incidently!!)

Where you are may close at 8pm, the rest certainly doesn't! More idiotic generalisations

Yep!! I think you need to go back to England too.

My point is that I wouldnt spent so much time on here if I had friends....

I'm sure there are expat groups around Melbourne - PIO meet ups etc. You need to find one of those so that you can have a whinge in a more comfortable environment! :yes:

Guest Guest16631
What, exactly, does "gobby" mean?

I had never seen/heard it before this thread.

...........well that's a blast from the past.........gobby or mouthy .......usually in a derogatory way...............has too much to say ...........sometimes in a rude way..............well at least it's how I think it means........

Guest AKA63029
...........well that's a blast from the past.........gobby or mouthy .......usually in a derogatory way...............has too much to say ...........sometimes in a rude way..............well at least it's how I think it means........

It's still fairly common around here Tink, admittedly with a few added spicy words just to get he point across.:embarrassed:

While I understand you frustration - please don't imagine that's an Australian problem only !

I went into Tesco here in Devon yesterday....I say 'went into' - actually I couldn't get IN through the automatic doors because a - erm - plump female with a large pushchair was hovering in the way.....

Why was it stationary ?

Mum was on her mobile.

I squeezed past & picked up a basket when she started to wheel child & pushchair absent-mindedly up past the fruit & veg....still on mobile....

Then I heard a wail from the child & turned around to see that she had dropped a fluffy toy she had been holding, onto the floor....

She turned around & wailed 'Mum' Mum' 'MU - UUUMMY!

No response.

The child got louder & more frustrated as she saw her beloved toy lost - as she thought, for EVER.....so she screamed - & I mean SCREAMED !!!

The toy was outside the automatic 'in' door, so someone would need to nip out when someone was coming in, to retrieve it - or go all the way around to the 'out' door....

After standing transfixed - you know - you do sort of get transfixed - by this mother who was still on the mobile - totally ignoring the child - she suddenly burst out 'SHURRUP!!'

And went back to the mobile.

The child then started sobbing....& I was just about to go up to the Mum & give her a verbal pasting when someone else (I hadn't noticed a couple of other people transfixed too) got there first & did it for all of us....

Told the mother why the child was screaming & that if she could tear the mobile off her ear for two seconds to take care of her daughter - ra-de-ra-de-ra....

Yes, you want to shake them - but of course you can't - you'd be done for assault !

On the other hand - there's a 'littlies' play-ground near my home here, in the park & it's always full of tiny children AND their parents taking very good care of them....the only shrieks I've heard from there is shrieks of laughter.....

Guest Ptp113
What, exactly, does "gobby" mean?

I had never seen/heard it before this thread.

Gobby as in "Perth is saturated with gobby pommies"

Guest Ptp113
Ptp, acronym, meaning, Painfully too positive.

Work at it loser and maybe you could be too

All the friendly people are in Queensland Blobby !!

Before I get hammered - I've met thousands of wonderfully friendly Australians - in ALL states....

Have to admit though, that the friendliness of Queenslanders is outstanding !

Just sayin'.......

BTW - purveyor of useless information here....but just thought some people might be interested....

The description of a person 'up there' so-called 'aristocracy' 'illusion-of-their-own-superiority' type - is actually a 'nob' - not a 'k-nob' - it comes from the word 'nobility'....from when the English thought they had it !

So, k-no k-nob k-needed !

Sorry - off-topic I k-now !

P.S. ....and before anyone thinks I'm havin'-a-go at the English - er - Brits (got to be PC don't y' know !) I was born English & am proud (& eternally grateful) to be Australian as well....

To be fair this is a international problem! I think people are just rude wherever you go. I work with the general public day in and day out. It is more noticeable now IMO when people have manners ie. say please and thank you. It really makes my day when people are polite.

Archived