Registered Nurse not enough points and worried about the 457

michelle659

Hi

I am feeling really down today :( I have had conflicting advice from several agents and I so confused. For instance, I am a RN, aged 33, higher diploma, 1 years experience and married. I understand I need to do academic IELTS for the 7 for skills assessment and 8.0 for DIAC for extra points. I am so worried I am not intelligent enough for this exam. I am waiting for my IELTS results I did a little while ago, but I lost track of time in the reading one I would not have got 7 in that paper.

I spoke to an agent yesterday, who was not convinced that I would be able to emigrate and the 457 with children is way to risky. Especially the 28 day door way if they do not like and change their mind.

I am so confused and feeling really upset that we may not be able to emigrate. We booked flights for June to view some schools and now feel that I am teasing myself. Every year I get older the closer it gets to losing more points.

Any advice, would be wonderful.

:em4600:

Guest tandcmum

whereabouts are you looking to move to? When we first started looking at moving to Oz i also didn't have enough points as i had only worked occasional bank shifts so didnt have the experience hours. I got offered a job on a 457 visa and we were going to go for it but for some reason something didnt feel right and we gave up the job offer. Fast forward another couple of years and the niggles still there about wanting to make the move we looked at the 175/176 visa and although i was then working full time i still felt we would struggle a bit with the points so looked at sponsorship. I was very lucky to get sponsorship for a PR visa and we fly out in 3 days time to Townsville. I also know there are some hospitals in Perth which will offer a PR visa initially but I know how you feel about the 457 as I always had doubts about moving over with children on a 457 too

Have you considered going to a Regional area, the chances of getting PR sponsorship are much higher

Most of the larger cities are looking for at least 2 years exp, with 3 years for the ENS 121 route

We looked at one regional hospital they were looking for qualified registered nurses, when we asked what experience was needed they said none.

As for IELTS its an exam designed for overseas students who want to study in an English speaking uni its not an intelligence test, for a native speaker who has done the Nursing diploma/degree its all about practicing. Once you have the technique you should get through it

Hi,

i'm a registered nurse and we are moving to Queensland on a 457 on 30th may. I have 3 children. I do agree it is more risky but we think it's worth taking the chance.

i think it depends who you get offered a job from. Mine is with a private company. I have emailed and spoke on the phone with them a lot and I trust them. They have told me once we are there they will sponsor me for PR its just so much quicker to get you out there on a 457. Our whole process has only taken a few months.

Best of luck

Thank you for your replies.

I am looking into Western Australia and apparently the Regional State Sponsorship is 1 years experience 176. I have also looked at Royal Perth, Ramsay Health, Freemantle etc and they said they would take nurses with my experience. I only have a year I do not get points there. My age has let myself down and the fact my qualification is a Higher Diploma. I think unless I get the 8.0 on IELTS I will fall 5 or 10 points short.

I looked online at the Regional State, it looks like that again is a points of 65 and I am still shy of that unless I get this 8.0, which I am so worried about. The option of the 457 and possibly fired scares me so much with children. I will apply for my skills as soon as I get the 7.0. Its just how we would go out there and my nursing career is on a Gastro/Diabetic ward, but we do have other illnesses, but majority in that area.

Hi,

i'm a registered nurse and we are moving to Queensland on a 457 on 30th may. I have 3 children. I do agree it is more risky but we think it's worth taking the chance.

i think it depends who you get offered a job from. Mine is with a private company. I have emailed and spoke on the phone with them a lot and I trust them. They have told me once we are there they will sponsor me for PR its just so much quicker to get you out there on a 457. Our whole process has only taken a few months.

Best of luck

I am just worried after an agent said I would never go on a 457! I can see the appeal and my daughter being 13 in December is very tempting. I am so scared of them getting rid of me. There has to be so much trust either end. I read now with the new changes you have to be there for 2 years before PR? We need to sell our house too.

Good luck by the way sounds fantastic, my friend moved to Queensland on Monday and is loving it. Be interested to keep in touch on how the 457 is working for you if thats ok?

Why does the 457 scare you? My Husband is an ODP (Anaesthetic Technician), he has been offered a job in Perth and we are about to apply for the 457 visa. We have 2 children and we want to apply for the RSMS once we are there to obtain PR.

The 457 wouldn't be my first choice either, but I don't think you need to be quite so worried as many start on this visa and go on to become permanent residents. That said, there is nothing wrong with wanting PR from the start either. You said you think you are not intelligent enough to pass IELTs but remember that it is not an intelligence test, it is a literacy test and should not present a problem for a literate adult such as yourself that uses literacy skills on a daily basis.

Thank you, you will soon find out that I panic about everything! I dont even know how I passed my exams with the fear I have, lol.

The reason it scares me, is being fired and having to go back to the UK with no home. I understand there are lots of people who do it, but the agent did not give me much hope when I suggested that path. I have emailed a few hospitals today about sponsorship. I am also going out in June to view schools and areas to rent. We are definately serious and being told that yesterday about the 457 made my heart sink. His point was they may not like you and you may have 2 years of working with someone you cannot work with. I am thinking along the lines of surely it cant be worse than a NHS run hospital lol. We have clicky groups as well.

Michelle, don't give up on your dream. An 8.0 in the IELTS academic is achievable trust me. I did the Academic version and although I got totally left behind in the reading I still got an 8.0 and a 9.0 in every other section, with a 9.0 overall. They're not testing your inteligence, rather the technique for answering the questions. Can you listen, speak and construct a decent essay. The academic text is more tricky but the principles are the same. My partner also got a 9.0 overall also in the academic, we both passed first time. We both did a lot of practice though, at least an hour per day for two weeks before the exam, and more than that closer to the day. I read all the IELTS blogs I could find and did lots of examples.

Believe in yourself, practice loads and you'll do it too!

Hi

I've been sponsored on a 457 with a private company, who have also stated that they will support my PR visa in 2yrs. I have 3 children 17, 14 & 8. I too will have to sell the house, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Plus there are lots of jobs on offer and once you have your AHPRA reg it is much eaiser to gain alternative sponsored employment when you're out there if things don't owrk out with your initial sponsored employer. Good luck

Guest GazMc86

Hey!

I can totally understand your worries regarding the 457 but I don't think it's all as bad as you are making out. First of all some agents are just out to make as much money as possible from you so just make sure that he wasn't trying to get you to apply for a 175/176 which would net him so much more fees from you. Also, don't worry about being "stuck" in a job for 2 years. If you don't like it, apply for another post that is willing to sponsor you. From what I've read this is not something that is difficult (although I am in MH nursing so I don't know what jobs are like in your field). Furthermore, you can discuss with your employer before going over there if they are willing to sponsor for PR eventually. This will save you lots of trouble in the long run. There's also the regional migration sponsorship scheme. Would you consider moving to a low population area? I think it is easier to get a PR visa in these areas.

As regards the IELTS, it's not about intelligence. Just lots of practice!!! It's quite tricky. I can manage the listening, writing and speaking no probs but the reading is causing me so much trouble. I'm starting to see there's a trick to it though so hopefully I will get better. Also, if you go over on a 457 you don't need IELTS (assuming you completed your secondary and tertiary education through the English language).

All in all I think it's worth the risk for you! You only get one life so make the most of it ;)

I am also going on a 457 visa with a husband and 2 kids. I am aware of the risks but am not concerned and the hospital said I can apply for pr once I'm there. From what I have read this is a much quicker route (and less stressful?) as you don't have to do skills assessment or ielts. Nurses are always in demand and therefore your job is probably more secure than in a lot of other professions (though no doubt someone will differ). I would say go for it.

Thank you, you will soon find out that I panic about everything! I dont even know how I passed my exams with the fear I have, lol.

The reason it scares me, is being fired and having to go back to the UK with no home. I understand there are lots of people who do it, but the agent did not give me much hope when I suggested that path. I have emailed a few hospitals today about sponsorship. I am also going out in June to view schools and areas to rent. We are definately serious and being told that yesterday about the 457 made my heart sink. His point was they may not like you and you may have 2 years of working with someone you cannot work with. I am thinking along the lines of surely it cant be worse than a NHS run hospital lol. We have clicky groups as well.

It wouldn't be my first choice but it would be my second and hundreds of people do it. Unless you're an unsafe practitioner than you're unlikely to get fired. It's true you may not like the initial place you're working in but hospitals tend to be big places (especially with Fiona Stanley being built) and there are usually oppotunities to move into different areas.

If you're serious about moving ... then the 457 isn't a bad option. Hospitals like Fremantle, Armadale, Rockingham, Bentley and Royal Perth form part of a wider South Metro service and I work with someone at Armadale (mental health) who started off at Bentley and has worked at Rockingham and Armadale on secondment ... so there is possiblility of movement if you really dislike somewhere.

Ali xx

Archived