Tambourine Mountain

blobby1000

Going to be spending a couple of weeks travelling from Brisbane to Sydney in September, me, wife, two boys 4 and 2. Lots to see, and wondered if anyone thinks Tambourine Mountain is worth a couple of nights? Its a bit of a drive inland off our intended drive but looks good....

So worth it! Look up O'Reily's near there, there's a big tree top walk and it's superb, you can feed the parrots. It's lush, I would live there if I could stand the drive up often enough, nearly pooed myself driving up that mountain with my OH.

Guest Shell15

Mount Tambourine is so so lovely! Great walks beautiful little tea rooms to stop and have a brew, great pubs for lunches and if you go on a weekend there is generally something always happening up there, great markets too - or there used to be anyway :)

Well worth it! We went for an afternoon, visited the distillery, had lunch, fantastic. But we are going back Labour Day weekend, staying over 2 nights (booked a bit late so it's costing us, oops!). The 'Kustom' car show, Garter Belts and Gasoline is on so we'll go along to that :o) - but there is tons to do, we went to a holiday & travel expo last week and got heaps of info on Mt Tamborine, and we booked the trolley tour as well.

You can stay at O'Rielly's but I'm not sure as we drove up, I'm sure there's BNBs at Mt. Tamborine though!

Yes there is a variety of accommodation there, but we thought it was a bit pricey, so just drove from T Mountain for the day.

Just to clarify, O'Reilly's is in the Lamington National Park, which is about 45kms away from Tamborine Mountain.

Good point. Though the OP is on holiday so I guess we can send him anywhere within reason...nothing like the road up to O'Reilly's to let you know you're alive :laugh:

Good point. Though the OP is on holiday so I guess we can send him anywhere within reason...nothing like the road up to O'Reilly's to let you know you're alive :laugh:

:laugh: Just thought I'd point it out, you know how it looks like an easy drive when you look at the map, but when you actually get there -----:eek:

:laugh: Just thought I'd point it out, you know how it looks like an easy drive when you look at the map, but when you actually get there -----:eek:

Towed my camper trailer up there once when they were building some new accommodation. If I'd met any big bloody trucks coming down on those one way sections it wasn't going to be me reversing :wacko:

We have stayed at the Mouses House a couple of times, thats Springbrook Mountain though not Tamborine. Its a lovely place with beatiful secluded cabins, each cabin named after one of the seven dwarfs, its great for an adult retreat weekend and although the road up there is longggggggggg its not as scarey as the O Reillys road,lol.

Cal x

p.s,, There is no mobile reception at The Mouses House, so worth thinking about if your leaving the kids with sitters.

The road to O reillys is the Lamington National Park Road from Canungra. It is tarmac but crumbly at the edges in parts.

The mouse house is aimed more at adults, we didnt take the kids but i guess for a night or so they be ok, any longer and i think theyd be bored TBH.

Cal x

The road up is concrete but be warned, it is not for the faint-hearted, I could barely keep my heart in my mouth!

Definately worth it though, we arrived and this cute Rosella parrot arrived on the car. We were all so awed at it, then we walked up and sat down to eat our crisps and juice...parrots started arriving left right and centre, excellent for kids as they're wild and just so friendly, you just give them Twisties and they land on your head, arms, etc.! My OH even had a big green parrot land on him.

Best part was the Bower Birds, which are such interesting animals. That was the main reason I visited, to see one. Well we were sat there talking and Mark was eating something, and this Bower Bird swooped down and sat on his hand and took it from him!

Seriously well worth the trip, the tree top walk is ace, and there're botanical gardens there too.

Booked the MouseHouse and currently doing an overtime poms in oz (AKA night shift) to pay for it! Children are 5 and 2 so will love it there in the trees.

So this road to Oreillys, why is it scary? Big sheer drop offs? The constant possibility of death?

Archived