anyone moved victoria to sunshine coast?

chloe98

Hia,

Just looking for some advice/opinions. We are currently in regional victoria, about an hour from melbourne and thinking of moving to queensland- probably sunshine coast. We really like it here and quite enjoy having the season, along with chilly winters but think my o/h could earn a better wage in queensland near the mines. My main concern is uprooting the kids again. we moved from scotland 4 years ago and they all settled so quickly here it was great and I know the older ones wont be keen to move( 14 and 11). I however have always wanted to live in queensland, just moved here to be near o/h family but as it turns out we barely see them so its really not an issue to move away from them.

I am also a bit concerned about the rain, humidity and year round warmth(does it get boring?- is it ever cold enough for jeans and boots and jumpers and coats?). also the bugs- cant stand flies and mozzies, dont have too many down here but imagine it would be worse in the tropics?I guess these are things you prob get used to.

as for kids having to move schools and get new friends etc- anyone had experience moving a 14 year old?- he is fairly quiet but has alot of freinds here, is in year 9. would it be ok moving schools so long as he was settled before year 11?- am not sure if the queensland secondary education is similar to vic or not. He is also seriously into football and would need to find a good club with good coaches- would that mean being nearer the city(brisbane), does anyone know?

sorry about all the questions-just alot to think about, almost like emigrating again

We will be moving from Melbourne to Brisbane in a few weeks to be nearer family and the heat, mozzies, spiders etc do worry me but I know they are generally not a problem. I've only experienced the summer humidity for a few days and it was quite debilitating but I am sure it is something you get used to -just drink tons of water and slow down.

You are right, it is like emigrating again ans I am finding it more stressful and expensive than coming from England (breaking the lease, removals and transporting the car) but its got to be done.

I can't wait to get out of Melbourne and see the real Australia!

Hi Chloe98

We have not been here for long about six months, we are on the Sunshine Coast at Kawana but will try with some info

There are some lovely areas here, Buderim, Noosa , Caloundra

There has been alot of rain this summer we had some flooding and it sure was humid ! Locals have told me that this is unusual and although summer is the rainy season it is not normally as wet as we experienced.

When we first arrived yes it was cool enough to wear Jeans and a long sleeved top.

Have all been bitten especially when out fishing, even with the spray on !

Not noticed many flies, more mozzies but some fantastic butterflies.

Have not moved a 14 year old but did move a 17, 11 and 8. My 17 year old has been the worst and wants to go back, he has made a few friends here and he has made an effort. The other 2 were sad at first but once settled here and after the first few weeks of new school dramas they have made friends and so they like it here.

Some info here for footie http://sunshinecoastfootball.com.au/

Hope that helps

Sam

Buderim is wonderful! Sunshine Coast is great.

It doesn't get cold here if you are from Scotland and Victoria is cold anyway!

Mossies etc not an issue.

Yes good football here etc and Surf sports!

Fly in to the mines from the Sunshine Coast airport on the cards.

Just love Buderim and Maleny is Scotland in Aus!

Guest RedAppointments

Mt Coolum on the Sunshine coast is full of mosquitos, they fly a helicopter around to spray poison to kill them.

It should be called the rainy coast because it rains more there than just about anywhere else in Qld

If you want to see the "Real Australia" you need to go further North and then get away from the coast

The Bruce Highway can be a very dangerous road so be careful on your travels

Thats a little worrying - whats wrong with Melbourne?!?!?

Different people like different things. Many people love Melbourne and it is a great city just doesn't suit everyone - nowhere does. It is just as much the real Australia as anywhere else.

Thats a little worrying - whats wrong with Melbourne?!?!?

As others have said, different people want different things. For us the pull of family is very strong. The OH's family are in Queensland and we miss them and having the support they offer. We have come from the other side of the world and yet we are thousands of miles from them still. Every time we see them there is a joy in us that family brings in addition to the sunshine. I have a very good job that pays well and enables us to save more money than what we could in England but it is boring as hell so its time to try something new. It is like emigrating all over again.

Melbourne is very nice but it is a big city that could be anywhere. We've had some good times here but there is nothing to keep us here. Its like a prettier, laid back London and the parks and countryside are lovely but has some of the same problems as London (as any big city would). Its expensive to live, takes ages to get anywhere but crime is relativley low. I lived in Lodnon for 10 years and getting out of it was like a breath of fresh air and I should have done it sooner. I think we are just over the city life - rush, rush, rush - and want something simpler.

Whenever we have been outside Melbourne I feel that's where the "real Australia" is. Even the supermarkets seem to have fresher produce, are bigger and have more choice. The air is cleaner, and I love the smell of the bush and although this sounds a bit silly, we are not going to see much Aussie wildlife in Melbourne apart from the odd possum. I think we are turning into a pair of hippies as it would be nice to have some chickens, grow our own veggies, do up an old house and not have to wear a suit all day and do something different and not the same crap we did in England.

We moved from Melbourne to sunshine coast 3 years ago and never looked back. My son was 13 at the time we knew we had to make the move now before he got any older. He settled into a new school and made friends. It is like emigrating all over again we had to make new friends again but it didnt take long.

We now live in Mooloolaba and my son goes to Mountain Creek high school. I also got a job at the school which is great I am of all the school holidays.

My oh had family in Melbourne but not enough to make us stay.

Yes it does get humid up here for a few weeks in Jan/feb but the rest of the year is lovely. Amanda

Fantastic place for kids my son had a bike in melbourne and never road it here he rides everyday to school meeting friends. I love the wheather here and the beaches. I take our dog a walk on the beach everyday. You can go out and not lock your door leave something on the front lawn and would still be there in morning. It is a slower pace of life.

We have found our wee piece of heaven here....

PITY THE FOOL there is nothing wrong with Melbourne we owe everything to Melbourne. We arrived in melbourne with 4 cases and $15 in our account when my oh started work. We both worked hard and had fantastic opportunitys. But we always yearned for queensland. Our time came 3 years ago to move and we both thought now is the time.

Archived