Gutted!!!!!!!!!

holsop22

We have been in oz for almost 12 months now and just had an amazing 4 weeks with my mom who came on holiday from the U.K,she went home last night and im absolutely gutted!!!!!!!.

Things have been tough for us since we arrived in oz and are only just starting to pick up,but since i left my mom at the airport all i can think of is i want to go home.

Im not after sympathy just reassurance that this is normal!my 9 year old is in pieces and its making me think is it all worth it?

Thanks,

Rachel.

We have been in oz for almost 12 months now and just had an amazing 4 weeks with my mom who came on holiday from the U.K,she went home last night and im absolutely gutted!!!!!!!.

Things have been tough for us since we arrived in oz and are only just starting to pick up,but since i left my mom at the airport all i can think of is i want to go home.

Im not after sympathy just reassurance that this is normal!my 9 year old is in pieces and its making me think is it all worth it?

Thanks,

Rachel.

Whereabouts in Queensland are you?

millers

:hug:

It is hard, and definitely normal. Some people cope with it, others don't, and there's no shame in admitting that being close to family is a higher priority than you thought it was.

I cope with it by knowing that Australia isn't forever, we do have plans to live in Europe for a while in a few years time, see where life takes us. I also budget money and leave for trips home every 18months, and skype weekly with my sisters and parents. That keeps those feelings at bay (most of the time - I still have my down days)

We have these feelings just by Skype-ing people so I can imagine how difficult it must be for you just now. Being out here I have found great solace in my local friends, we are all in the same boat and keep each other afloat. There is nothing any of us can do to make the distance shorter.... or the price of flights cheaper! If you are feeling rotten in a couple of months' time then that will be the time to think about your reasons for being here. Hugs anyway :hug:

Guest GeorgeD

Totally normal, I wasn't homesick until my Dad came to visit us for 6 weeks, then went home. All perfectly understandable, even though you may not have realised you were going to feel that way.

I found that having a routine to get into was useful...having visitors upsets this routine as well as being a welcome change. Monday do this, Tuesday do that, etc...have it all planned out so you aren't thinking back a couple of Wednesdays ago when you went to that place with your Mum, etc. It'll settle down.

I can assure you it's totally normal. Like the others have said, get back into your routines and keep busy. My Mum came over last year(we had been here 6 months).We had a great 3 weeks together, when we dropped them at the airport my 8 year old daughter cried the whole hour, all the way home. I was so upset for her but kept on reminding myself why we moved here and all the different things we now do together as a family. Hang in there it will get easier. Deb x

I think saying goodbye to visitors is like saying goodbye when you left the UK ,all over again!! Definately not easy and why i think newly arrived migrants should avoid family visiting for a while whilst they settle in. It does get easier as the years pass but is always tough especially if you have older rellys visiting..

Cal x

You are not alone with these feelings. I do understand even though the circumstances were different for me. We moved to Asia for my husbands work, and left all 3 of ours in UK. The 2 older ones weren't quite so bad, but waving our 13 year old daughter off after every school holiday, has to be experienced to understand. However we have all survived, and we are still a strong family unit.

At least you have skype now, it really does help to see each other face to face, and of course it doesn't cost a fortune to keep in touch.

Take care.

Get out go for a walk as often as possible - beach, bush, mall. Experience the country for what it is.

I arrived in Jan last year, my wife and kids 6 months later. Many times I felt like going back. Had so much back at "home" - friends, lifestyle, identity etc. It takes time to adapt, re-adjust, settle in.

Most people take time out and ask themselves why - its normal.

But I have now accptedted the fact I will return only as a tourist - and that is out of choice. Embrace your new invironement!

Hi Rachel, I know this might not help, but I had to leave my husband in Brisbane back in February, I am currently waiting for my spouse visa to come through and probably have at least another 4 months wait. He is Oz and I am here in sunny Dorset. I have to leave my family, including my grown up children, who are happy for me to pursue my dreams. I spent a wonderful month, although lots of rain in Queensland LOL. The point is home is where your heart is, and mine is with my husband. I know it is hard for you, I cried for most of my journey back to the UK when Ieft him, but a year goes so quickly, and if times have been hard as they have for us they can only make you stronger. The UK is where I was born, have had some lovely times, but it is time to try something new. Think how lucky you are to have this opportunity, not everyone gets this chance. I feel for you, and your daughter. I will be leaving my granddaughter behind, but know that when the time comes for her to visit or vice versa, I will enjoy and cherish the time we have together. xx

Hi, thank you all for your replies,it helps to know others have been through or are going through the same things.

Sometimes i feel like im the only one!

Well my daughters finally settled down a bit,its just that the house feels so "empty",but im back at work Monday so hopefully that will keep my mind from wondering !!

Archived