Weather In Melbourne

Guest Darren Songhurst

Guest Darren Songhurst

What is the weather really like in Melbourne all year round, we are looking at moving there next year and we get negative feedback regarding the weather and that we would be better off moving further north.

How cold does it get in the winter and for how long.

Many Thanks

Darren & Natalie:wub:

Guest migration angel

Hi Darren and Natalie,

It depends what you are looking for. The standard joke here is that in Melbourne you can experience four seasons in one day. You won't find it as bad as British weather and it's not freezing all the time. Perth and Sydney can be chillly on a winter evening too.

If you really love the heat then Queensland is the place for you.

What is the weather really like in Melbourne all year round, we are looking at moving there next year and we get negative feedback regarding the weather and that we would be better off moving further north.

Many Thanks

Australia probably has a climate to suit you. It's really trying to work out which place that suits both your climate and job.

Good question....To be honest, often throughout my life I have looked at the national weather forecasts during the year and thought thank god I'm not in Melbourne. Sydney OK, Perth, bit cold, but not so bad, Adelaide, hmmmm maybe, but Melbourne, no way.

This is my honest reaction - not some hokey parochial city bashing.

A lot of people who live in Melbourne love it - it is cosmopolitan, has great cultural and alternative scene's - by all accounts a great city - if the weather suits you then you will probably love it.

But if a big priority is year round warmth then I don't think it is a good choice.

Australia probably has a climate to suit you. It's really trying to work out which place that suits both your climate and job.

Good question....To be honest, often throughout my life I have looked at the national weather forecasts during the year and thought thank god I'm not in Melbourne. Sydney OK, Perth, bit cold, but not so bad, Adelaide, hmmmm maybe, but Melbourne, no way.

This is my honest reaction - not some hokey parochial city bashing.

A lot of people who live in Melbourne love it - it is cosmopolitan, has great cultural and alternative scene's - by all accounts a great city - if the weather suits you then you will probably love it.

But if a big priority is year round warmth then I don't think it is a good choice.

G'day mate, it's also why a lot of Vics were moving up to SE Qld until the economic downturn hit Australia.

Weatherwise, it has an extreme climate, experiencing temperatures in the 40s in summer when the hot northerlies blow, down to a couple of degrees above freezing in winter.

Cheers, Bobj.

Melbourne climate suits me down to the ground, love the autumn, winter and spring and some of the summer. We do get very hot days as you will be aware however this year was different to all other years in that it stayed hot for a few days at a time, this is very unusual. Usually it gets to be a stinking hot day and then we get a cool change later.

Winter I never wear a coat just a jacket, we do get frost and on those days we have beautiful clear skies and sunshine in the day time.

Rain well we get less than all other cities, never understood why people think Melbourne is wet.

So for me the Melbourne climate is wonderful.

Melbourne is close to London weather, but as already mentioned, we don't have as much prolonged cold weather, as even in winter we have crisp sunny days which are okay.

The seasons suit me well, as I don't mind rugging up sometimes and stoking up an indoor fire on a cold day. We are now truly into Autumn, we have had a few rainy days since last Friday, and the leaves are turning autumn colours and falling to the ground after a very hot summer with little rain. Yesterday we stoked up a fire for the first time since last year, and I had a roast cooking, and I made the comment "It feels like being back in England". It doesn't suit everyone, but I can't cope with the heat and humidity in Qld, others love it (anything past Sydney is too hot for me!).

regards

Olly

Many Thanks

We have been here just under 2 years. In melbourne you can definatley have 4 seasons in one day and a really hot day will generally have a cool change the next day.

There are definate seasons, which we like. It is now Autumn and the weather is around 18 degrees today, still warm enough for no coat. At the weekend it is due to reach 26 degrees, so it really does vary.

The bottom line is that it is warmer than the UK by far, still have the change in seasons, i don't wear a winter coat, but would wear a jacket or jumper in the autumn and winter. I like it, not everyone does. If you're looking for all year round sunshine and a warm humid temperature then Melbourne will not suit and probably will not meet your expectations of australia. I think choosing to come to Melbourne is more dependent on lifestyle choices rather than the weather!

S.

We have been here since the end of january so not exactly experts.

We are down on the mornington peninsula. we have had days of 45 degrees (rare) but more recently the odd 14 degrees, rain, storms, sunshine.

But there are vineyards and olive groves down here so it can't be any colder than the med in winter.

one good thing is the low humidity. we lived in sydney for 2 years and it was very hot and humid in the summer - quite unbearable.

Victoria has had a drought for the last 10 years i believe and there are strict rules on watering the garden so rain is obviously not in abundance.

cath

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OgaPoga

I think it all depends on what you understand with “good weather”. I think climate in Victoria would be ok, as we are Europeans and could not live in 40+ degrees ½ year.

We have friends – born Australians who live in Queensland and they said that it is hot and humid there – some days air feels so thick that you can slice it. But if you like that sort of weather…then it is ideal for you. I love seasons – so Victoria is for us J

We have been here since the end of january so not exactly experts.

We are down on the mornington peninsula. we have had days of 45 degrees (rare) but more recently the odd 14 degrees, rain, storms, sunshine.

But there are vineyards and olive groves down here so it can't be any colder than the med in winter.

one good thing is the low humidity. we lived in sydney for 2 years and it was very hot and humid in the summer - quite unbearable.

Victoria has had a drought for the last 10 years i believe and there are strict rules on watering the garden so rain is obviously not in abundance.

cath

Yes, you are right, Melbourne is known to have a Mediterranean type of climate. We have woken up to 8C this morning, and it is due to be 20C today, so a cool morning, but will clear to a pleasant afternoon before becoming cooler again in the evening.

Yes, you are right, Melbourne is known to have a Mediterranean type of climate. We have woken up to 8C this morning, and it is due to be 20C today, so a cool morning, but will clear to a pleasant afternoon before becoming cooler again in the evening.

As a comparison Brisbane is min 17c max 29c today. So you get all sorts of choices with weather. Choose the one that suits.

Guest snow white

a bit less rain in brissie at the moment would be good lol easter weekend reminded me of home

lesley x

we liked the idea of the melbourne seasons, but for me it is not as good as I hoped. Currently 17 degrees but feels absolutely freezing. OH is sleeping off a night shift, so can't turn ducted heating on (I am the hubby here!).

We arrived July last year and laughed when we were told how cold it was, 14 degrees in the middle of winter. But these houses are so awful for insulation and heating and you just get used to the warm. Anything below 20 degrees now seems too cold. Even in December/ January we had the heating on some mornings.

I think the weather is much better than Uk, and even like the really high temps, but don't like the numerous grey drizzley days. Last week we were in glorious 25+ degrees and clear sunny skies, which is in the equivalent of October in the UK - thats more like it. Not looking forward to the next 6 months weather wise (plus the short days of course)

Archived