Feeling sad!!!! Not on csl.

april.will

HI EVERYONE,

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD PUT THIS THREAD UP AS I AM FEELING REALLY SAD AT THE MO.

I HAVE BEEN CRAWLING THROUGH WEB SITES AND THREADS LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER, WHICH DEEP DOWN I KNOW I WON'T FIND.

I AM A HAIRDRESSER WHICH IS ON THE MODL BUT RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT ITS NOT ON THE CSL, ABSOLUTELY GUTTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TODAY FOUND OUT THAT IT PROBABLY WILL BE AFTER 1ST JULY BEFORE THEY EVEN GLANCE AT MY APPLICATION, I WAS HOPING TO GET VISA QUICKLY BUT NO CHANCE NOW.

I DON'T WANT STATE SPONSORSHIP, WHICH THEY ARE RECOMMENDING, AS I SON'T WANT TO COMMITT TO ONE JOB AND ONE AREA FOR 2 YEARS, I MEAN WHAT IF WE HATE IT AND WANT TO GO HOME.

WE HAVE FRIENDS IN MELBOURNE WHO ARE DESPERATE FOR US TO GO THERE BUT IT NOW LOOKS LKE IT MIGHT BE YEARS BEFORE WE GO OUT THERE.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW, I THINK I SHOULD FORGET ABOUT IT UNTIL LATE SUMMER, AT LEAST THEN IF I AM NOT THINKING ABOUT IT MY HEAD AND HEART MIGHT STOP HURTING.

ANYWAY SORRY FOR THE SAD THREAD, JUST NEEDED TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO'S VISA IS GOING THROUGH.

THANKS FOR LISTENING

APRIL:sad:

Guest moonlit_valley

April,

Could you not apply for state sponsorship anyway. From what I've read, hairdressers could be taken of the modl list soon. Just get your foot in the door. It doesn't commit you to anything, you don't have to go at all. Just get the visa asap and decide later. The most you will lose is the money.

I know so many people that regretted not getting their foot in the door when they had the chance because the system changed in some way, I'd hate for that to happen to me.

Guest maxytiff

Hey April,

Sorry to hear your situation!! What is the CSL, the reason i ask is because i'm a hairdresser too and we got our Visa from my trade so i'm just wondering what the problem is with your application incase i can help you in some way?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi,

CSL is critical skill list, which hairdressing is not on.

This means that it is no longer in demand and has been put to the bottom of the list.

april

Hi April

Shhhh, hon. This is NOT as bad as you think, I promise. I think the main reason why you are so distressed is because you have not had this explained to you properly.

The crux of the Hairdressers & Cooks Problem lies in the onshore Student Visa system. Apparently thousands of students have completed Cookery & Hairdressing courses in Oz. If they had all gone on to be Cooks or Hairdressers once they graduated in Oz and then obtained PR, there would not still be a shortage of Cooks & Hairdressers.

Seemingly a lot of the Students studied Cookery or Hairdressing solely because the courses can be completed within 2 years and because of the MODL points on offer. Now that they have PR they are neither Cooking or Hairdressing, allegedly.

This is true of offshore applicants as well. I've lost count of the number of people who have posted on the forums explaining that they can get a visa because of the wife's Hairdressing skills but she has no intention of Hairdressing in Oz. If so then she is not offering to help Australia to solve its skills shortage, is she? She is simply milking a weakness in the visa system, it seems to me. Which is not the object of the exercise with migration to Oz, obviously. Migration to Oz is about supplying what Australia needs. It is NOT about what migrants want for themselves unless the migrant is prepared to enter into a less one-sided bargain with Australia, frankly.

The current Minister is determined to knock this nonsense on the head and I agree with him 100%. His "message" is, "If you want to come and live in Oz then you settle in the areas which need you and you do the job that qualifies you to bring your family here in the first place." I see nothing remotely unreasonable in his philosophy about this, do you?

There was a Cook on here the other night - an onshore student. She announced arrogantly that she considers that if she Cooks For Australia for 18 months post-grad, she will have 'done her bit' for Oz. If I were the Minister I would tell her where to park her Idea. He makes the rules on behalf of Australia, not this Student With Attitude. In his shoes I would tell the would-be offshore Migrant With Attitude the same thing, bluntly.

So - you have told me all about what you don't want. What about that which Australia needs but which you say you are not inclined to supply? Who does Australia belong to?

I suggest you think about State Sponsorship before all the States gang up on you about this. VIC has said (as have others) "You show us a job offer from a local employer and we will think about a 176 visa for you. If you are not happy with that then you may prefer an indefinite wait before you come here at all."

I think everyone needs to get their heads round the Minister's "wake up call." He has explained the new deal on the table and his attitude is, "Suit yourself. Take it or leave it as you prefer." It seems to me that Senator Evans is right to demonstrate some Attitude of his own on behalf of all of his countrymen. He is not a pushover. I don't blame him for that.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

With regards to your post, i totally agree that the minister has every right to protect the Australian economy and people by ensuring the migration program is effective and delivers skills to the areas where needed most.

However, i do feel that all onshore students are being given a bad name. While I agree there are many that chose to do courses that they have no intention of working in, I am not one of those students, yet feel I am being penalised.

I studied for 2 years for a teaching degree to gain Australian qualifications so I could work in this country in the profession i previously worked in, in the UK.

I am now on a bridging visa, and have a full time teaching contract . However, I am bottom of the priority list as my occupation is only on the SOL list. It is not on any state sponsorship list either :no:

I don't think I have a 'right' to be given a PR visa, but feel i should have an equal chance to be considered for one.

I feel in total limbo land and on top of that I have school fees and nursery fees to pay.

I don't mean to sound like I'm whinging (but I am!!!), and genuinely want to wish good luck to everyone in the same situation.

Here's hoping for a visa one day

x

Hi April

Shhhh, hon. This is NOT as bad as you think, I promise. I think the main reason why you are so distressed is because you have not had this explained to you properly.

The crux of the Hairdressers & Cooks Problem lies in the onshore Student Visa system. Apparently thousands of students have completed Cookery & Hairdressing courses in Oz. If they had all gone on to be Cooks or Hairdressers once they graduated in Oz and then obtained PR, there would not still be a shortage of Cooks & Hairdressers.

Seemingly a lot of the Students studied Cookery or Hairdressing solely because the courses can be completed within 2 years and because of the MODL points on offer. Now that they have PR they are neither Cooking or Hairdressing, allegedly.

This is true of offshore applicants as well. I've lost count of the number of people who have posted on the forums explaining that they can get a visa because of the wife's Hairdressing skills but she has no intention of Hairdressing in Oz. If so then she is not offering to help Australia to solve its skills shortage, is she? She is simply milking a weakness in the visa system, it seems to me. Which is not the object of the exercise with migration to Oz, obviously. Migration to Oz is about supplying what Australia needs. It is NOT about what migrants want for themselves unless the migrant is prepared to enter into a less one-sided bargain with Australia, frankly.

The current Minister is determined to knock this nonsense on the head and I agree with him 100%. His "message" is, "If you want to come and live in Oz then you settle in the areas which need you and you do the job that qualifies you to bring your family here in the first place." I see nothing remotely unreasonable in his philosophy about this, do you?

There was a Cook on here the other night - an onshore student. She announced arrogantly that she considers that if she Cooks For Australia for 18 months post-grad, she will have 'done her bit' for Oz. If I were the Minister I would tell her where to park her Idea. He makes the rules on behalf of Australia, not this Student With Attitude. In his shoes I would tell the would-be offshore Migrant With Attitude the same thing, bluntly.

So - you have told me all about what you don't want. What about that which Australia needs but which you say you are not inclined to supply? Who does Australia belong to?

I suggest you think about State Sponsorship before all the States gang up on you about this. VIC has said (as have others) "You show us a job offer from a local employer and we will think about a 176 visa for you. If you are not happy with that then you may prefer an indefinite wait before you come here at all."

I think everyone needs to get their heads round the Minister's "wake up call." He has explained the new deal on the table and his attitude is, "Suit yourself. Take it or leave it as you prefer." It seems to me that Senator Evans is right to demonstrate some Attitude of his own on behalf of all of his countrymen. He is not a pushover. I don't blame him for that.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi gill,

thanks for that , I totally agree with you and what the minister is doing, I think it is the right thing to do.

Anyway I have been looking at state sponsorship but still unsure. A lady in melbourne has a salon and is interested in me.She has my c.v. I am thinking of getting in touch with her again. Getting a job offer first might help or it might not, but I have to give it a go.I am not giving up in mine and my OH,s dream for our family.

Thanks alot and heres to the VISA!!!!!!!!!!!

April:smile:

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi gill,

thanks for that , I totally agree with you and what the minister is doing, I think it is the right thing to do.

Anyway I have been looking at state sponsorship but still unsure. A lady in melbourne has a salon and is interested in me.She has my c.v. I am thinking of getting in touch with her again. Getting a job offer first might help or it might not, but I have to give it a go.I am not giving up in mine and my OH,s dream for our family.

Thanks alot and heres to the VISA!!!!!!!!!!!

April:smile:

Hi April

If you can get a job offer from the Salon lady there is EVERY chance that VIC would support you. They would definitely support you for a 475 provisional visa but that would not work if the salon is in non-regional Melbourne (it depends on the exact postcode of the lady's business base.)

If the postcode stuffs things up, every State has an allocation of an extra 500 places for the immediately-permanent 176 visa. They can allocate these places as they wish as long as the applicant's occupation is on the SOL. It would be worth asking them whether they would consider letting you have one of the "special" 500 Sponsorships if you have an offer of a permanent job.

You already have a positive skills assessment. If the lady offers you a temporary 457 visa, negotiate. Insist that she agrees to sponsor you for an immediate ENS 856 visa (instant PR) after an initial trial period lasting no more than 12 weeks. An ENS application would get even faster processing than a State Sponsored 176 visa under the Minister's New Scheme.

Good luck with it, hon.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again, April

Consider an immediate application for 176 sponsorship to one of the other States that has Hairdresser on its 176 List too, I suggest. That way you would not have to be tied to an employer and if you really can't stand life in the Sponsoring State it is possible to move inter-state provided that you have made a reasonable attempt to make the most of life in the Sponsoring State.

I know that WA is definitely offering to sponsor Hairdressers for the 176 visa still. It is on the 176 List for SA as well. I have not checked the other States but here is the link to them all:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Trust me, if you are willing to consider Melbourne then SA is a very reasonable alternative. Property prices in Adelaide are significantly lower than in the suburbs of Melbourne. The distance from Adelaide to Melbourne is 700kms and there are two good roads. One follows the coast and the other goes through the Barossa Valley in SA I am told. Beautiful scenery and plenty of places to stop overnight on both roads apparently.

Best wishes

Gill

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Gill

With regards to your post, i totally agree that the minister has every right to protect the Australian economy and people by ensuring the migration program is effective and delivers skills to the areas where needed most.

However, i do feel that all onshore students are being given a bad name. While I agree there are many that chose to do courses that they have no intention of working in, I am not one of those students, yet feel I am being penalised.

I studied for 2 years for a teaching degree to gain Australian qualifications so I could work in this country in the profession i previously worked in, in the UK.

I am now on a bridging visa, and have a full time teaching contract . However, I am bottom of the priority list as my occupation is only on the SOL list. It is not on any state sponsorship list either :no:

I don't think I have a 'right' to be given a PR visa, but feel i should have an equal chance to be considered for one.

I feel in total limbo land and on top of that I have school fees and nursery fees to pay.

I don't mean to sound like I'm whinging (but I am!!!), and genuinely want to wish good luck to everyone in the same situation.

Here's hoping for a visa one day

x

hallo

i think i may be the arrogant student gill was referring to.

perhaps it is in fact better to just apply for PR and then dodge off into whatever your previous/preferred occupation is; it seems to arouse less animosity.

if i could come here on a skilled migrant visa, hell of course i would. ive got a lot of graphics/presentations experience and skills; and im a qualified massage therapist also, but neither of these are a viable way into the country.

so instead im going to pour 20k into the international education system, and do my 18 months at the end of it and if that makes me an arrogant bad person, so be it. by the time i am finished i will have sunk a considerable amount of money and three and a half years of time out of my career into and at some point does the migrant get to do something for themselves? its not as if i was proposing to go on the dole and sit on my ass, im a tax generator like everyone else. whilst as i stated before, it should not be a one-sided deal for the migrant (getting everything, hence the moral responsibility of doing some time in the industry you qualify in) it also cannot viably be a one-sided deal for australia (taking everything and not allowing a career preference).

anyway, after venting that (apologies) let me just say that i have a lot of sympathy with your situation; you seem to be the opposite end of the spectrum. when will you find out how its going to go for you?

k

Hi April

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

I think you've made a really important point. I've spoken to heaps of people who have come over on a trade or training and have no intention of continuing with it and then expect Oz to provide a living.

We came over in 2004 on a business visa and are still struggling to get PR by the end of this year which is now looking increasingly doubtful for various criteria reasons and we may have to go back to the UK leaving children and grandchildren.

This is tremendously stressful and we have worked 100% to satisfy the demands of our visa and to not be able to stay at the end of it is truly scary. We love Oz, the lifestyle and the people we've met but even working 7 days a week it may still not be enough all because we were the wrong side of 40 when we began our visa plans.

Still hoping

Barb

We are going through the State Sponsorship - Queensland route just to get a foot in the door. I wouldn't close this door just yet.

Queensland State Sponsorhip - you have to live in one of the 'permitted' postcodes for 2 years and work in one of the 'permitted' postcodes for 1 year. Your one year starts as soon as your visa has been activated - so you could go for a holiday and then come back.....

Not sure if there are different rules for different states but a migration company maybe able to help. We're using www.emigratingexpert.com

Hope this helps.

Paul (39), Cheryl (35), James (18) & Francis (13)

Submitted to AIM by post - 19 Dec 08

AIM acknowledged receipt by email - 5 Jan 09

Further info requested by email - 21 Jan 09

Submitted further information via email - 23 Jan 09

AIM acknowledged receipt - 27 Jan 09

• 3 weeks later...

yep, thats the core of my problem too. wrong side of 40.

its a real bummer and the reason im doing what im doing too. i was here last year as a fiancee but having fallen in love with the country, i realised i was tolerating abuse in my relationship because leaving him meant leaving the country, because my age discounted enough points to make my skill set useless to me.

had i been a few years younger this would be much easier; however i guess they have to have some cut-off point.

Guest Sam Desport

HI

I really hope someone can advise me as I've just received an email from our agent, Go Matilda, saying that the criteria was changed in Jan 09 and as my husbands occupation, hairdresser, isn't on the critical list he wont get processed and we should consider state sponsorship. However, he was 45 last September and we had a mad dash to get the skilled application in just before his birthday - at this point his occupation was on the SOL & MODL lists. He doesn't want to commit to a 2 year job as he might open his own business. The only reason we found out is because we chased our agent this week several times to find out what was going on as we hadn't heard anything since before October 2008. We are absolutely shocked, cheesed off and confused as to where that leaves our application and chances of getting in? Any help or advice gratefully received. Thank you

HI

I really hope someone can advise me as I've just received an email from our agent, Go Matilda, saying that the criteria was changed in Jan 09 and as my husbands occupation, hairdresser, isn't on the critical list he wont get processed and we should consider state sponsorship. However, he was 45 last September and we had a mad dash to get the skilled application in just before his birthday - at this point his occupation was on the SOL & MODL lists. He doesn't want to commit to a 2 year job as he might open his own business. The only reason we found out is because we chased our agent this week several times to find out what was going on as we hadn't heard anything since before October 2008. We are absolutely shocked, cheesed off and confused as to where that leaves our application and chances of getting in? Any help or advice gratefully received. Thank you

I might be wrong here but State Sponsorship does not anywhere state you have to commit to a job, unless your going for the regional option. Can anyone clarify?

If your application is in I think all you can do is wait and see. If you have the capital you could come to OZ and open your business on a business visa which leads to PR.

Guest neilalys

Well we feel for you all, we are still waiting for house to sell so my wife can go to brisbane school of hairdressing, the trade she wanted to do when she left school , but then came the girls [ 3 ] and now at 30 this is her chance, we will be regional or out bush as that is where we want to be and she cant wait to be a hairdresser [ its her dream ] , 3 girls at school fees massive but dooable if its for 2 years , but if we have to go on bridging visa how long would this be, and if we were on bridging visa could i work more hours than the 20 whilst shes a student, this may be the last door closing for us , hope not over a year in the planning ,and house finished and for sale , well we will see good luck all

HI

Hello Sam.

You don't have to commit to a 2 year job with State Sponsorship. Rather you have to sign an undertaking to reside in the sponsoring State or Territory for 2 years following your arrival to live in Australia.

States and Territories presently sponsoring hairdressers for a subclass 176 visa are:

- ACT

- NT

- SA

- TAS

- WA

Please be aware that the State and Territory lists can change quickly.

Note also that you can move from a subclass 175 application to a State/Territory Sponsored 176 without additional visa application charges being payable to the Department of Immigration.

Can I suggest that you might have another chat with the Go Matilda consultant handling your case?

Best regards.

Guest Sam Desport

we sent an email to our agent Thursday evening asking her to call us ASAP so hopefully we'll hear from her soon. Thanks for the advice. It appears it's not as gloomy as our email appeared. We just need our agent to call and explain everything. Thanks

• 3 months later...

Archived