Finally picked a movers - John Mason!

lozzachino

Hi All,

Thought I'd share our experience about securing a movers.

We had 5 companies out to quote, John Mason, PSS, Anglo Pacific, White & Co and Doree Bonner.

The cubic feet quotes ranged from 592 to 710. John Mason was 650 so right in the middle.

The quotes were:

JM 650 cubic feet for £2750

Anglo 610 cubic feet for £3250

PSS 592 cubic feet for £2950 (they also tried to flog us a full container for around £4k even though we have nowhere near enough stuff!!!)

Doree Bonner quoted on 600 and 700 cubic feet - 600 was £2794 and 700 was £3218

White & Co was 675 cubic feet for £3250

we really liked JM and Anglo, but we emailed them all back (except Doree Bonner - just didnt get a good feel for them and the sales guy tried to say negative things about other shippers which i didnt like). Asked very politely if there was anything they could do to improve their quotes.

Anglo emailed back saying basically 'no ..... off'.

PSS emailed and improved by around £50 on their quote.

White & Co never replied.

JM called us on the Monday (we email on the weekend), said he'd been looking at the quote and as it was already a good rate (the best we had had) he could only take £50 off and he could also get the shipping insurance down 0.5% to 2.5%. he then emailed us that offer and said if we wanted to accept we just had to sign the acceptance form from the original quote (valid for 3 months!) and then we dont pay anything until its all packed and they know exactly what the total cubic feet is.

So overall, we found we had the best experience with JM from start to finish. The salesman was very knowledgeable and gave us some great tips for packing and shipping, despite all our research he still gave us info we didnt know, he was very friendly, and when he asked what other companies we were getting quotes for, he said they were really good companies and he was glad that we were considering JM along with such other well-reputed companies. The sales team were quick to get back to us, very polite and very accomodating.

Anyway, hope this helps someone who is also trying to make a decision!!

:)

Good for you - its a minefield.

You are aware the cubic feet is just an aproximation though and you will get billed for what it actually comes too after packing and they all do that so the quotes from say JM and PSS are actually about the same rate. I found JM had an excess on their insurance and also charged a lot for storage (if you dont find a house to rent you like imediately)

yes, i know they charge for what they pack, thats ok, i think we'll be under the 650 mark, but with pss i'm not sure we'd be under 600.

still like you say, its a tough thing to negotiate your way through. its my instinct to bargain my way down from an initial quote but all the way through JM has been our front runner so the fact we've had the best experience with them throughout it all makes me happy with our final decision.

let's hope the actual move goes well now!

Guest scrumpyjas

We booked with john masons as well shared container £2600 (Perth). We were very pleased with the lads that turned up to do the job,just make sure you have enough tea and biscuits.

We were quoted £3800 by PSS that was negotiating it down from £4100 to fill a full container but was told our cubic feet was approx 763.

Why are the quotes so different ADE72 you paid £3700

Lozzachino you paid £2750 thats a huge difference between the 2 of you?

We are going from Surrey/Hants Borders to Melbourne.... waiting for John Mason and White and Co to quote?

Yopu don't have to insure with the movers it is cheaper to do it direct with the insurance company. Insure your move and Letton Percival are two companies recommended on here. We used Letton Percival. As with all insurance read the small print though!

We are in the process of getting quotes from John Mason & others. For us we would be looking at total cost and customer service levels. Total cost because will probably need to keep our stuff in storage between 6-12 months and would need to factor this in. Service levels all we can do is go on what others have said on this forum and from what I have seen so far John Mason have the edge on this! We have received one quote so far and we will get 3 more quotes. The first quote just states that the price is£3985 as long as we stay under 1084 CU feet! By the way we are moving to Perth

We booked with john masons as well shared container £2600 (Perth). We were very pleased with the lads that turned up to do the job,just make sure you have enough tea and biscuits.

Hi Scrumpyjas - If you don't mind what was the cubic feet assumption on your £2600 quote? We are also headed to Perth?

We were quoted £3800 by PSS that was negotiating it down from £4100 to fill a full container but was told our cubic feet was approx 763.

Why are the quotes so different ADE72 you paid £3700

Lozzachino you paid £2750 thats a huge difference between the 2 of you?

We are going from Surrey/Hants Borders to Melbourne.... waiting for John Mason and White and Co to quote?

Hi, we are only having about a third/half a container. ADE72 is quoting for a full container so that's the difference.

PSS told us if we would around 750 c/feet or more they would recommend we have our own container which seemed a little bizarre to me. Not sure if I was missing something there!

oh maybe i should have said we are headed to Perth, as its closer i'm not sure if this makes it a bit cheaper than getting to other places in Oz?

Hi lozzachino

We are also headed to Perth. Just started the process of getting quotes. First quote was £3985 for a 20ft as long as did not exceed 1084 CU Ft

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

Thought I'd share our experience about securing a movers.

We had 5 companies out to quote, John Mason, PSS, Anglo Pacific, White & Co and Doree Bonner.

The cubic feet quotes ranged from 592 to 710. John Mason was 650 so right in the middle.

The quotes were:

JM 650 cubic feet for £2750

Anglo 610 cubic feet for £3250

PSS 592 cubic feet for £2950 (they also tried to flog us a full container for around £4k even though we have nowhere near enough stuff!!!)

Doree Bonner quoted on 600 and 700 cubic feet - 600 was £2794 and 700 was £3218

White & Co was 675 cubic feet for £3250

we really liked JM and Anglo, but we emailed them all back (except Doree Bonner - just didnt get a good feel for them and the sales guy tried to say negative things about other shippers which i didnt like). Asked very politely if there was anything they could do to improve their quotes.

Anglo emailed back saying basically 'no ..... off'.

PSS emailed and improved by around £50 on their quote.

White & Co never replied.

JM called us on the Monday (we email on the weekend), said he'd been looking at the quote and as it was already a good rate (the best we had had) he could only take £50 off and he could also get the shipping insurance down 0.5% to 2.5%. he then emailed us that offer and said if we wanted to accept we just had to sign the acceptance form from the original quote (valid for 3 months!) and then we dont pay anything until its all packed and they know exactly what the total cubic feet is.

So overall, we found we had the best experience with JM from start to finish. The salesman was very knowledgeable and gave us some great tips for packing and shipping, despite all our research he still gave us info we didnt know, he was very friendly, and when he asked what other companies we were getting quotes for, he said they were really good companies and he was glad that we were considering JM along with such other well-reputed companies. The sales team were quick to get back to us, very polite and very accomodating.

Anyway, hope this helps someone who is also trying to make a decision!!

:)

Big thanks for this info. We've had Anglo round and White's so far. Found White's more knowledgable but I've just read a review regarding White's and the client had lots of breakages?? It certainly is a minefield! JM are due round in a couple of weeks along with Crown who our friends used and recommended as there guys get bonuses for no breakages!!. Told Anglo rep this and he said what a good idea!!

Will keep you posted on this one. Oh also was told by Anglo rep we were 150cuft over a 20ft Container but looking up stats for a 20ft we are actually 50cuft Under what he quoted???? Who to trust?

Dear all ...Also went through an RFQ (Request for Quote Process) with Pickfords, Crown, John Mason & Doree Bonner. We did not go for any of their Marine Insurance but chose Doree Bonner as our Logistics and storage partner. We looked at the total cost including storing for at least 6 months at destination and they were the most competitive with John Mason a close second.