Move Cube - anyone used it?

johnboyW

Someone on here did go with using one or was in the process of doing so.

Seven Seas usually rate highly for excess shipping if you've only got some boxes or some such.

We are considering a movecube but may well go with shared container and save the hassle of packing it ourselves.

Well, i'll be the first to update you all. Mine arrived and left on Monday. I ordered a large cube and arrived in a trailer. Dropped off around 9am and picked up around 2pm. Not the greatest amount of time but if your well prepared and all is pre packed it can be done. In total the large provides 218 cu ft and worked out at around £5.50 per cu ft which is really cheap as far as i was concerned. All in i packed it to within an inch of it's life. When they pick it up you assist putting the door on with large metal clips and it's off. Invoice arrives a day or so later if all your paperwork is in order and 83 days later it should be dropped off. So far the experience has been quite straight forward so will update you all once it's arrived on the other side.

Regards

Our large move cube is going to be packed on August 10th. We've nearly boxed up everything already.

Seven seas provide the dimensions of the move cube so we marked out an area in a spare room to those dimensions using masking tape - This has allowed is to check it will all fit.

We aim to have everything packed and ready to load before August 1st. just in case.

Our large move cube is going to be packed on August 10th. We've nearly boxed up everything already.

Seven seas provide the dimensions of the move cube so we marked out an area in a spare room to those dimensions using masking tape - This has allowed is to check it will all fit.

We aim to have everything packed and ready to load before August 1st. just in case.

If you can keep us posted about it it'd be great. We are still thinking of using one. Like you (if we go ahead with using one) we plan to measure out the exact size in a room and ensure we can fill it to the limit and know we can get everything we want in one. We are taking limited furniture, mostly boxes of personal effects. However, we will need to squeeze our bed and frame in there, a not too bulky chair and possibly a flatpacked wardrobe (we'll have use for it the first year and its as new). The rest will be boxes of stuff, clothes, kitchen utensils and so on.

Hi Goochie, we're looking to get a Large MoveCube in for August 10th also. Who are you using for insurance?

Cheers

John (currently looking at a rectangle marked out in masking tape on the lounge floor)

What is the cost of using this service?

Large Move cube probably need 3 of them though!

You can get the info you are after on the Seven Seas website. Price varies depending on size etc.

If you'd need 3 of them, chances are you'd be better off getting a proper removal company in and shipping in a container of your own or groupage.

Hi Goochie, we're looking to get a Large MoveCube in for August 10th also. Who are you using for insurance?

Cheers

John (currently looking at a rectangle marked out in masking tape on the lounge floor)

We're using Letton Percival for insurance as their cover is cheaper per ££ covered that Seven Seas own insurance.

We've spent today scratching our heads looking at the space we've marked out in the spare room. We're 90% full and still have clothes and 2 bicycles to get in there somehow!

Its amazing how the weight of things adds up. We have a lot of heavy things and a lot of books so we've weighed every box and listed it. There is a maximum weight of 1400kg in the large move cube and we've got just over 1000kg (on the floor of an upstairs bedroom!!)

Goochie - Can you dismantle the bikes? Wheels off and so on.

And wow, that is a pretty impressive limit. What sort of things have you put in? Just boxes or furniture also? We want to take our king size bed and frame but everything else will be boxes of stuff. Not masses of books as we plan to get a Kindle and just take the real long term keepers. I reckon my clothes alone would fill one though :unsure:

Goochie - Can you dismantle the bikes? Wheels off and so on.

And wow, that is a pretty impressive limit. What sort of things have you put in? Just boxes or furniture also? We want to take our king size bed and frame but everything else will be boxes of stuff. Not masses of books as we plan to get a Kindle and just take the real long term keepers. I reckon my clothes alone would fill one though :unsure:

I've not started packing the bikes yet as they still need to be cleaned - However they'll be totally dismantled, handlebars and both wheels removed to minimise the space they'll require.

We're taking no furniture at all - Its just books, clothes, kitchenware, tools and a few other things.

Its amazing how much space it takes up but having said that we've spent the last 2 years condensing the contents of a 3 bedroom house into that small space! One thing is for sure - When it's piled in the corner of a big Australian living room we'll feel like we have very little.

I've not started packing the bikes yet as they still need to be cleaned - However they'll be totally dismantled, handlebars and both wheels removed to minimise the space they'll require.

We're taking no furniture at all - Its just books, clothes, kitchenware, tools and a few other things.

Its amazing how much space it takes up but having said that we've spent the last 2 years condensing the contents of a 3 bedroom house into that small space! One thing is for sure - When it's piled in the corner of a big Australian living room we'll feel like we have very little.

Heh, I think we'll have that problem. I am slowly sifting through things in our house, weeding out the knick knacks and junk we are not taking and getting rid of it piece by piece. I've shifted a heap of books in recent times and loads of clothes, kids toys and so on that we no longer use. I reckon by next summer we'll be down to the stuff we are taking and that will be it.

Uur furniture would have to sit in storage (well, some of it) for the first year in Aus and we don't see the point of paying to ship it all and then pay storage for it on top. We will buy new once we move into our own house and know what kind of floorplan we have. I don't mind parting with most of our furniture as tbh apart from a few bits now, its all replaceable.

Hubby is considering flying his bikes over with us. He uses his daily and on weekends is known to cycle 100 miles or so for a ride so I can see why he'd not want to wait for it to ship in a container.

We found the best way to clear out what you really need is to go through everything and try and get rid of half of it.

Once you've done that and sold it on ebay and at boot sales, go through what's left and get rid of half again - Repeat this a few times and you'll soon find you have only the essentials remaining.

• 2 months later...

Hi there

Am looking at maybe a large move cube, what sort of stuff did you fit in there? Got some furniture and bits - would a sofa fit in do you thinkmalso

unsure if we will need 2 cubes?

Must get in touch for a quote but if you can advise what went in yours

cheers

sharon

Hi there

Am looking at maybe a large move cube, what sort of stuff did you fit in there? Got some furniture and bits - would a sofa fit in do you thinkmalso

unsure if we will need 2 cubes?

Must get in touch for a quote but if you can advise what went in yours

cheers

sharon

You can read the trailer sizes on their website. There are 3 sizes so check the dimensions and then measure your sofa etc and see if it will fit.

ETA - Copied this from Goochie over in the other thread

As requested the cost for sending the MoveCube Door-to-Door service from Tamworth, UK to Perth, Australia is listed below:

a. Small MoveCube:

INTERNAL: Height 1.88m (74 inches); Width 1.11m (44 inches); Length 0.96m (38 inches) = 2m³ or 70 cubic feet or 15LBE

Price : £420.00 plus Destination Charges = AUD249.00

b. Medium MoveCube:

INTERNAL: Height 1.88m (74 inches); Width 1.45m (57 inches); Length 1.11m (43 inches) = 3m³ or 105 cubic feet or 23LBE

Price : £570.00 plus Destination Charges = AUD299.00

c. Large MoveCube:

INTERNAL: Height 1.88m (74 inches); Width 1.45m (57 inches); Length 2.27m (89 inches) = 6.20m³ or 218 cubic feet or 48LBE.

Price : £990.00 plus Destination Charges = AUD349.00

Our Prices Include:

• Customs and AQIS clearance (exclusive of any customs Tax and Duty or AQIS treatment charges if any)

• FREE Starter Pack: measuring tape (3m), tape dispenser (basic) with 1 roll of tape, knife, black pen

• FREE initial delivery of Starter Pack & other requested packing material including the loan of:

§ Arranging UK parking permits if the MoveCube is parked in the street

§ Traffic cones to mark off an area to park the MoveCube

§ A trolley to move your belongings from your address to the MoveCube

• FREE initial delivery & collection of the MoveCube from your UK address

• FREE initial delivery & collection of the MoveCube from your Australia address

• FREE pre-notified time slot for deliveries & collections, depending on area

• FREE storage for ONE MONTH prior to shipment overseas

• NO HIDDEN CHARGES guarantee at the destination, see below for details

• Price freeze GUARANTEE, if you place your order within 7 days of the date on this quote then from the date of your deposit being paid we will freeze the transportation and shipping rates for 60 days or until your shipment is collected and invoiced whichever is the earlier

• 4 weeks later...

We too used a large move cube, all went smoothly, used Letton Percival for insurance. Cube left Sheffield last week in June arrived in Perth end of September, wasnt opened by customs, only scanned. No breakages.

Downside is all Sevenseas cubes go first to Melbourne, so it does take longer if like us you are in Perth. Also because we had been here a couple of months before it arrived, when i was unpacking it a lot of stuff just went unopened into the "magic cupboard" prob never to be seen again cos we had already had to get a lot of things that we needed. If you time it better than we did, it will all be good.

When they deliver it in Oz the removal guys take it out and put it in whatever rooms you want. The 2 guys that delivered ours to our Perth rental got their cameras out to take photos when they took the door off. They said they couldnt believe how well we had packed it, and what we had managed to get in it.