How much help to give the shippers on the day?

purpledonna

I'm feeling really nervous about Crown coming in to pack us up in 6 weeks time. I've no experience of any removal companies so i'm not at all sure what happens on the day. How much help do you give? I'm quite a control freak and I really don't want to annoy the guys that come around! haha! I'm not at all work shy so i'm happy to help out - I just don't know what to expect really!

All advice is welcome!

Hiya, we have moved quite a few times, its honestly fine. You just show then what you are taking, and they pack it. Just make sure anything you don't want packed is separate. The last time we moved, the packers gave me a chuckle. The last things they packed were kettle, and all tea making stuff, and the first box handed to me at new house was said box!! At least that won't happen with this move! Donna x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

They packed everything, worked like trojens, we were in and out all day doing jobs ready for the move, they packed the kettle last, but to be honest I can't see when they had time to have a drink, they were always working whenever we came back

Don't help - you'll get in the way. If you can possibly find reasons to pop out of the house on errands they'll thank you for it. At the very least, be in a different room to the one they are working on.

But do make sure you have tea, coffee, milk, sugar, mugs, spoons and biscuits and offer them from time to time (e.g. every hour or 90 minutes). They may or may not accept but they will welcome the offer.

But do make sure you have tea, coffee, milk, sugar, mugs, spoons and biscuits and offer them from time to time (e.g. every hour or 90 minutes).

But not too many - we weren't sure how much tea/coffee/biccies to offer, so I made a pot of each and just gave them the whole packet of biscuits, 20 mins later they return the tray with nothing left on it at all - 2 guys! Complete and utter locusts - thought the biccies would last them the morning, nope, 20 mins. Problem was, we didn't have any other biscuits for them, so that was all they got, and I couldn't offer them anymore. Lesson has been learned - when the movers come in a couple of weeks I shall ration them on a plate each time lol

(should point out I'm not mean, and don't begrudge them some biccies, it was just the shock at the ENTIRE pack going in such a short amount of time, and then feeling guilty as we didn't have anything more to give them for their next break).

But not too many - we weren't sure how much tea/coffee/biccies to offer, so I made a pot of each and just gave them the whole packet of biscuits, 20 mins later they return the tray with nothing left on it at all - 2 guys! Complete and utter locusts - thought the biccies would last them the morning, nope, 20 mins. Problem was, we didn't have any other biscuits for them, so that was all they got, and I couldn't offer them anymore. Lesson has been learned - when the movers come in a couple of weeks I shall ration them on a plate each time lol

(should point out I'm not mean, and don't begrudge them some biccies, it was just the shock at the ENTIRE pack going in such a short amount of time, and then feeling guilty as we didn't have anything more to give them for their next break).

Hahahah that's funny! I'm SO glad you wrote this! I shall buy a few packets and ration them out. I once had a similar car journey with friends who loved wine gums. Hadn't even got on the motorway and the whole packet was gone!

Hi Donna, We had the packers for 3 days they did everything told us before to pack clothes into drawers etc they used up every available space couldn't fault them, We were in and out most of the days and they were so good left us our bed 1 sofa Tv kettle cups etc and packed it at the last minute so you should hav e nothing to worry about its the best way to do it very hassle free hope it al lgoes wel lfor you Evelyn

If there's anything particularly special that's being packed, make sure you're around for them packing it up, but otherwise an occaisional offer of tea, cold drinks and snacks and you'll be all good :)

But most importantly is to make clear what's going and what's staying. I used sticky notes for any confusion - and if you want stuff labelled in a particular way, make it clear to them at the outset. (and again use sticky notes so they don't have to keep asking. We had one room with all the stuff that wasn't going and kept that door shut with (you guessed it) another sticky note on the door saying 'NO!!!'

:)