No files on me

bill

Cazzie and I have just returned to Adelaide from a week at the Gold Coast, catching up with my son in Brisbane. We have been delighted by the lack of flies. It's such a joy to be out and about without all the arm-waving and buzzing around the face that are a feature of life in Adelaide.

Just need my daughter and granddaughter to move up there and we would be very tempted!

Does anybody know why the Gold Coast should be so free of the wretched things, and Adelaide (and other cities) so affected? We even went inland to the green and pleasant hinterland for a day, and again, no flies. Ditto in the Brisbane suburbs.

This was my 5th visit in 13 years, though only my 2nd outside of winter, and it has always been so.

Any explanations?

Also, does anybody think that this is a very bad spring for the number of flies?

After 24 years in Adelaide, you'd think I would get used to it, but I'll always be a whinging pom in that respect!

They're dirty buggers in Adelaide. Folk don't double bag their garbage so the flies get in and blow and multiply...................Seriously, I have no idea. Flies were pretty bad when we fiirst came here, You could walk down the streets on garbage collection day and see maggots crawling all over the bins.....................nowadays you only see the odd ones............Dunno if people have got more careful with their rubbish or whether the closure of landfill sites has alleviated the problem. I also think the daily onshore breezes help as the only time flies and mozzies are thick is on flat calm days................you rarely encounter any when the wind is blowing.

A tip. Most garbage bins that do exhibit maggots are not the fault. The flies actually "blow" in your kitchen bin and then hatch in the garbage bin when you take the waste out. Double bag your kitchen waste before putting it out.

They're dirty buggers in Adelaide. Folk don't double bag their garbage so the flies get in and blow and multiply...................Seriously, I have no idea. Flies were pretty bad when we fiirst came here, You could walk down the streets on garbage collection day and see maggots crawling all over the bins.....................nowadays you only see the odd ones............Dunno if people have got more careful with their rubbish or whether the closure of landfill sites has alleviated the problem. I also think the daily onshore breezes help as the only time flies and mozzies are thick is on flat calm days................you rarely encounter any when the wind is blowing.

A tip. Most garbage bins that do exhibit maggots are not the fault. The flies actually "blow" in your kitchen bin and then hatch in the garbage bin when you take the waste out. Double bag your kitchen waste before putting it out.

I don't mean around the house at all. If any fly at all gets in my house, its life span is about 2 minutes. Just walking in the street, at the beach, sitting at the beach, anywhere outdoors really! None in the Gold Coast, loads in Adelaide. Why the huge difference?

Because Brisbane/Gold Coast are not in the temperate climate zone. Masses of the annoying bush flies that you can get in Perth/Adelaide/Mel are a feature of temperate climates not sub-tropical.

Dry hot desert style weather breeds them and then they blow into those cities. Brisbane and surrounds has it's wet weather in summer not winter so bush flies can't breed.

Some parts of inland country Qld that are temperate also get those type of flies. Flies here in Brisbane are usually just a mild annoyance in comparison. I think ants cause me more bother :) Each climate has it's pluses and minuses obviously.

Edited by fish.01

Because Brisbane/Gold Coast are not in the temperate climate zone. Masses of the annoying bush flies that you can get in Perth/Adelaide/Mel are a feature of temperate climates not sub-tropical.

Dry hot desert style weather breeds them and then they blow into those cities. Brisbane and surrounds has it's wet weather in summer not winter so bush flies can't breed.

Some parts of inland country Qld that are temperate also get those type of flies. Flies here in Brisbane are usually just a mild annoyance in comparison. I think ants cause me more bother :) Each climate has it's pluses and minuses obviously.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, different climate zones have their own issues. The other main 'bug'bear for me is mosquitoes, but at least the insect repellants work (I use 'Off', which works perfectly). I saw quite a lot of Cockroaches while walking the streets at night in the Gold Coast - ugh, suddenly flies don't seem so awful!

We hardly ever see flies here in Sydney. More flies in UK definitely, when I went back I was really surprised by a housefly, I had almost forgotten about them!

Well that puts it totally into perspective. I spent last summer in the UK, and one of the most noticeable things for me was just how FEW flies there were compared to Adelaide - though due to lack of fly screens in the UK, nearly all the ones you do see end up inside the house!

• 4 weeks later...
We hardly ever see flies here in Sydney. More flies in UK definitely, when I went back I was really surprised by a housefly, I had almost forgotten about them!

Sure about that Rupert?I havent done the aussie wave since living in the UK,and I spend ALOT of time outside.Infact last summer we were eating outside alot and I mentioned to OH how nice it was not to have to keep doing the aussie wave whilst trying to eat!