• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2290 times
      Rep

Question What age do you have to be to take your driving test?

Hi,

My son is just coming up 16 years old, so it may be that we get to Australia before he takes his driving test here (that would be great) So im just wondering what age you need to be?

And also, do they have theory tests?

Thankyou,
      Kelly.

gothicqueen
      I could be wrong but think I read somewhere that it is 21, my daughter is 16 next week so possibly could be able to drivein this country before we go but not there

fabadababa
      This is what I found:

New South Wales - 17 yrs
      South Australia - 16 yrs
      Victoria - 18 yrs
      Queensland - 17 yrs
      Northern Territory - 17 yrs
      Tasmania - 17 yrs
      Western Australia - 17 yrs

Hope that helps!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2290 times
      Rep

Smile Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by fabadababa View Post
      This is what I found:

New South Wales - 17 yrs
      South Australia - 16 yrs
      Victoria - 18 yrs
      Queensland - 17 yrs
      Northern Territory - 17 yrs
      Tasmania - 17 yrs
      Western Australia - 17 yrs

Hope that helps!
      Oh wow...where did you get this information, its great.

Thankyou so much. On behalf of myself & others reading this thread.
      Kelly.

Title
      no longer here
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Personally I'd say get your licence over here if you can before you move to Australia. I know in NSW there are a lot of stages to getting a full licence and it's no where near as straightforward as it is over here.

A full UK licence can be exchanged for a full NSW licence without any problems and restrictions.

Title
      Liked
      13 times
      Rep
      I'd like to know where those ages came from too, as someone living in Queensland told me that the age is 16. My son will be gutted, as in NZ he's old enough now at 15, but even if he gets it here he can't drive in Oz until legally old enough in that state apparently.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      2290 times
      Rep

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Fi View Post
      Personally I'd say get your licence over here if you can before you move to Australia. I know in NSW there are a lot of stages to getting a full licence and it's no where near as straightforward as it is over here.

A full UK licence can be exchanged for a full NSW licence without any problems and restrictions.

Thankyou, im sure if my son is old enough whilst we are here, he will be wanting to get his licence as soon as he can! Only hope the freedom he gets wont make him want to stay here....Arrghhh No, surely not, even with freedom, what can you do....Not too much, not without it costing a fourtune anyway!!!

Thanks again,
      Kelly.

fabadababa
      Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
      I'd like to know where those ages came from too, as someone living in Queensland told me that the age is 16. My son will be gutted, as in NZ he's old enough now at 15, but even if he gets it here he can't drive in Oz until legally old enough in that state apparently.
      I can't find the flamin' website now

From digging deeper though, it looks like the ages I found are the ages when you can legally have a 'full' licence. Maybe you can get the equivalent of the British provisional licence at a younger age? It also looks like you have to do a certain number of hours' driving before you can get your full licence.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will jump in!

Title
      no longer here
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Ok - have spoken to the OH and this is the situation in NSW.

1.Take a UK hazzard perception style test to get your Learners permit.

2.Learners permit @ 16 years and 9 months and you then have to complete at least 150 supervised driving hours with a qualified FULL licence holder in the passenger seat.

3.You then go in for your P plate test - theory and practical.

4.You then stay on your red P plates for 12 months and take another theory test with restrictions to 80kph.

5.After the 2nd theory test you get bumped up to green P plates where you can drive upto 90kph.

6.You stay on your green P plates for 2 years during which time you have to take another hazzard perception test.

7.Once you pass the final hazzard perception test you then get onto a full licence.

As you can see it's a lot easier to pass your test in the UK, which is why I've just done that!

There was talk about bringing in driving curfews for P platers but I'm not sure if that's come in or not - they do restrict the type of vehicle you can drive though, you can't drive a V8 under the age of 25 (or possible 27).

fabadababa
      Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Fi View Post
      Ok - have spoken to the OH and this is the situation in NSW.

1.Take a UK hazzard perception style test to get your Learners permit.

2.Learners permit @ 16 years and 9 months and you then have to complete at least 150 supervised driving hours with a qualified FULL licence holder in the passenger seat.

3.You then go in for your P plate test - theory and practical.

4.You then stay on your red P plates for 12 months and take another theory test with restrictions to 80kph.

5.After the 2nd theory test you get bumped up to green P plates where you can drive upto 90kph.

6.You stay on your green P plates for 2 years during which time you have to take another hazzard perception test.

7.Once you pass the final hazzard perception test you then get onto a full licence.

As you can see it's a lot easier to pass your test in the UK, which is why I've just done that!

There was talk about bringing in driving curfews for P platers but I'm not sure if that's come in or not - they do restrict the type of vehicle you can drive though, you can't drive a V8 under the age of 25 (or possible 27).
      ...well that all seems straightforward enough!!!

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast