Brown family update - 1 year in Oz!

Guest brownfamily

Guest brownfamily

Hi all,

I thought that it was about time that I sat down and did the Brown family update as we have now been here almost a year. I need to post it now though because we are heading back to the uk for a holiday in a couple of weeks time!

We (me OH,daughter & son) arrived in sunny oz a year ago now on a student visa, never having been before and not knowing a soul in oz, call us mad.....adventurous......crazy.....inspiring....well we have been called it all, but we were ready for that adventure.

OH started his bricklaying course at Nambour TAFE a year ago, two days a week at TAFE, 1 day work experience and 20 hours a week working term time. When we first landed we had decided to get ourselves a 3 bedroom serviced apartment in Mooloolaba (so the kids wouldn't kill each other in the first couple of weeks) which was lovely. It was really nice to be able to have some space and cook if you wanted to or go out to dinner if you wanted to and be able to do washing and just chill out overlooking the sea.

The first couple of weeks were mad sorting out the usual stuff (ABN/TFN/Cars/Insurance/bank accounts/schools, but we managed to rent a 6 bed house in Buderim which was lovely. The kids were enrolled in the state schools at Mountain Creek (one in Primary and one in High School). My son (then aged 10) loved it from day one and has settled brilliantly. My daughter (then aged 13) found the first couple of weeks really hard, but hasn't really looked back since then. She has made loads of friends and is now really settled. I think it is definately harder for teenagers to emigrate as they are old enough to know the great friends they are leaving behind, and aren't as forward as a 10 year old at making friends, just something to bear in mind if you are moving over with a teen. Having said that both of my children have settled brilliantly into Oz life and just love it.

We were only in our rental a couple of weeks when we had been looking at houses to buy (but weren't really intending to buy for the first couple of years) and we found a house that was being sold at auction. We decided to bid at auction (having got our FIRB approval first)....and got the house! We moved in 28 days from winning the auction and absolutely love it. We have had a swimming pool put in (not for the feint hearted) and are just putting the finishing touches to it now.

I worked in the local school on a casual basis for about 4 months and then I managed to get a part time job in a private school, which I started in January and it is great, as it fits in with the 20 hours a week and also with the kids school holidays as private schools generally have more holidays than the state schools.

I was a bit worried about how we would all cope at Christmas and New Year without family, but we had a fantastic time and have made the most of every moment.

We have also made some great friends over here and are loving the outdoor lifesyle and our trips to the beach and our camping expeditions.

I will try and do a very quick summary of the positives/negatives for everyone just to try and let everyone know that I haven't got my rose tinted glasses on!

Negatives:

1. Missing family and friends. I am not sure that this gets any easier as the time goes on. It is difficult for family left in England - them wanting you to do the best thing for you, but still knowing that means you will be on the other side of the world. I am in constant contact with clode family in England and you jusdt find different ways to keep that contatc going.

2. Since we have been over in Oz the immigration points changed. This now means that as well as doing the two year course, OH has to do an extra years work experience in order to get enough points for PR.

3. Cost. The cost of the student visa route is expensive, and there is no guarantee. But at the end of the day it was a risk that we were willing to take.

Positives:

1. Family life. This has to be number one for us. We have found the OH finishes (work or college) and is usually home by 4pm which still gives himt ime to go to the beach. spend time with the kids and chill out. Days can be as cheap as you want them to be as its free parking most places.

2. Freedom for the children. My son now plays out in the close where we lkive and I know tha the is safe.

3. OH is being fast tracked on his bricklaying course (due to his previous bricklaying experience) and will finish later this year.

4. Lifestyle. The lifestyle in Oz is so much more outdoorsy and active. We have BBQ's at least twice/three times a week and just sit out at night as it is still fairly warm at night. The beaches are gorgeous and are only a 5 minute drive from where we live.

5. Shopping. i never thought that I would say this, but when we first arrived in Oz (never having been before) I wasn't really expecting much in the way of shops, but we have the Sunshine Plaza about 10 minutes away from us. An Ikea an hour's drive. Lovely shopping centres in Brisbane that is also only an hours drive away and I am in my element!

I As I mentioned previously, we are going back to the UK to visit family in a couple of weeks as my Dad isn't very well. If it wsn't for that, then we probably wouldn't have gone back for a couple of years as there is nothing (apart from family) that I miss about the UK.

I know that the Student Visa route isn't for everyone and that some people may have other options, but for us, it was our only option. We decided that life isn't a dress rehearsal and that we wanted to take the risk. I would hate to have looked back in 10 years time (when we would be too old to make the move) and think 'what if'.

Apologies if it is a long update, but I didn't want to forget anything, but please let me know if there is anything else anyone wants to know or something that I can help with.

Off to have my obligatory can of Bundy now

:jiggy:

Heather

Guest sheena

hi ya, thank you for that post it was lovely to read! glad is all going well for you (except for your dad being ill) hope he gets better very soon, all the best to you and yours!

sheena :smile:

Guest nicnoc & Jingo

Hi Heather

Thank you for the post, it was really lovely to read. I hope our experience is going to be as good as yours.

Best wishes

Nicola

Ps - I hope you Dad gets better soon :)

Guest JoanneHattersley

Great post Heather + honest too! All the best to your Dad as well!

Re - missing family - it DOES get easier. You learn to live with it!!!!! Have been here over 3 years and still have some horrendous homesick days but hey, thats life! You look out the window, see the stars, beaches and lifestyle and move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You have to move on with your life and manage without the things that you rely on sometimes.

We have postponed (indefinately) going back to UK for a visit. Originally we were going 2009 but couldnt decide what we were going back for!!!!!

Guest cantwait

Hi

Congratulations - it sounds like you are embracing all that life over there has to offer you.

Good luck and hope your dad gets well.

Guest shirley

what a great read, we are looking at doing a reccie to brisbane in july . where on the sunshine coast are you it sounds like you have really settled.

shirley

Guest shirley

just another question my oh is a bricklayer and we have been granted our visa but just wanted to know what the work situation was like for bricklayers

shirley

Guest Andrea Bridge

THANK GOD FOR HONEST, REALISTIC, BREATHTAKING PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

WE MOVE TO THE GOLD COAST IN 24 DAYS' TIME. WITHOUT POSTS LIKE YOUR'S, WE WOULD STILL BE WONDERING.

WE NOW FEEL AS THOUGH EVERY HARDSHIP HAS BEEN WORTHWHILE.

THANKS MORE THAN YOU CAN EVER KNOW.

YOU ARE OUR SHINING STARS!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE YOU ALREADY.... AND HOPE TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MEET YOU - ONE DAY.

WHAT LOVELY PEOPLE YOU ARE... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD IT WAS RIGHT FOR YOU.

WITH LOVE...... STEVE, ANDREA, RYAN, LEANNE, JACK AND CALLUM X X X

Guest jogrant3232

Really enjoyed reading your post Heather. So glad you have all settled so well. Keep the posts coming..

Hi there Brown family. Haven't posted on here very often but wanted to say how much I enjoyed and appreciated your post. We leave the UK on 27th July, heading for Melbourne. With two teenage boys, your information was appreciated. x

Guest brownfamily

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, its good to know that we have helped in some small way!

Johatts, I think you are right with the homesickness thing. To be honest I haven't had 'really' bad days yet and it has been bearable, so I look forward to it getting a little easier!

Also thank you for all the PM's and I will reply asap.

To those of you that asked about bricklaying work, I have asked OH and he says that there is work out there and a fully qualified//fast bricklayer would usually earn $30 ish an hour. The money isn't brilliant, but then its worth it for the lifestyle etc. OH usually works fairly local (30 mins travel), but can travel up to an hour for the work.

Also, apologies for any confusion but OH is the one doing the college course, not me. I am not a teacher, I do administration at schools and have to say that I have found it relatively easy to find a job (but worked in schools in the uk).

Keep the questions coming!

Heather

Guest Sandra,Mike and boys

Hi Heather

Thanks for a great thread. You gave good information, honest, but not at the expensense of knocking the country you have decided to make a new life in- shame others don't follow suit.

We are heading over to the Sunshine Coast next month so I look forward to sampling first hand the fantastic opportunity that myself and my family feel privelleged to sample.

Thanks again

Sandra X

Guest brownfamily
Yaayyyyy Glad you settled in well Heather.

Hi Leanne,

I haven't posted for a while, but was wondering how things were going with you guys the other day. What stage ar you at now?

Heather

• 7 months later...
Guest chrisully

Hi there,

just reading your latest entry,myself wife and 2 kids 3 and 11 are taking the xeact same route as you so it is lovely to read it is going so well,The only way we could emmigrate was the student visa so i thought i would go for the bricklayiing in Nambour although i have no experiance.The visa is granted, house rented and flights booked for the 7 jan09,we have gone for a holiday let in Maroochydore for two weeks so we can get a feel for the areas.

How easy is it to get the work to cover the 900hrs .

many thanks

chris(38),michelle(41),josh(11),livvy(3)

hi im so glad you have wrote that post heather, we are lookin to go some time this year got our visas last week i myself hav not been yet lookin to go in march, but my o/h gaz as been a few times im just lookin for a better life for my girls (ALYSSA 3, SHANNON 15 MONTHS)

I just hope its as good for us as it as been for you settling in,

rach

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL X X X

Archived