Tips on Saving Money in Oz

Guest angelaandmick

Guest angelaandmick

Thought these tips might be handy for new arrivals. If you have any useful tips please add to this.

Mobile phones - Vodafone.com.au - Prepaid caps are great. Top Up (Recharge) for $29 Cap and you get $300 of calls for 30 days, $49 Cap = $700, $79 Cap = $1300

Credit is not rolled over but you'll get loads of calls.

Internet / Home Phone - Telstra are the big boys in phone and internet however they have a very bed reputation for bad customer service and they aren't the cheapest. Shop around as there are great deals. Optus have a gr8 deal for $99 for phone and internet ( is a contract tho) and add world saver calls for cheaper international calls.

Skype - Download the Skype program, free, get everyone you know to do the same and you'll have free video calls through your computer.

Petrol - Cheapest days (don't hold me to that) are generally Tues / Weds. If you shop in Woolworths or Coles and spend about $30 you'll get a fuel discount aswel but only to use in their petrol stations!

Cigarettes - Don't buy in supermarkets, newsagents or petrol stations, Cheapest way is in tabaconists, (smoke shops) and if you buy in cartons of say 100 you'll save a bit more. Of course we all know if you give up the savings are a lot more, but thats a diff topic altogether.

Alcohol - 1st Choice and Dan Murphys are great for cheap cartons of beer, wine and spirits and they price match each other, only by about 10cent though.

Grocerys - IGA is prob the dearest, however, they are open late.

Coles, Woolworths and Aldi are the 3 big ones. Nappies, Juice, Coffee F+V are gr8 value in Aldi whilst I think Coles offers better value than Woolworths for all the other bits.

Day Outs - Visit sites such as these for free or below full price attractions. www.myfun.com.au www.clevercoupons.com.au www.mytickets.com.au www.brisbaneparks.com www.moretonbay.qld.gov or just google days out in your area.

Hope this comes in handy.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest angelaandmick

Anyone got any useful tips for saving money, ie best banks, mortgage brokers, concessions????

remember if you look after the pennies (cents) the pounds (dollars) will look after themselves.

Guest Vim Fuego
Anyone got any useful tips for saving money, ie best banks, mortgage brokers, concessions????

remember if you look after the pennies (cents) the pounds (dollars) will look after themselves.

Tip 1 - Pay off your mortgage fortnightly, not monthly ... chuck the numbers into one of those home loan calculators and see how much interest you save.

Tip 2 - Get a loan where you can pay extra off and have a penalty-free redraw ... any spare cash, chuck it in there, it's a no-brainer. In fact, pay more than the minimum anyway and get used to having less cash around.

You could always work for a bank and get all the benefits but then you have a sell your soul to The Man and you spend your sad evenings searching long and hard for a reason to get up in the morning ... this inevitably leads to some degree of self-loathing and substance addiction. But you get 0.7% off a variable loan rate.

Guest stockies

Whenever you buy items other than groceries always ask if they can do a better price especially when buying a few things at a time, they always do it on electrical items.....dont be afraid to ask everyone does it.

Guest Vim Fuego

There's always that Union Shopper thing, they are meant to find the best price on anything if you give them the model details:

..::: Welcome to Union Shopper :::..

You have to be a member of a union though ...

"Then raise the scarlet standard high, Within its shade we'll live and die, Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer, We'll keep the red flag flying here ..."

Little bit of politics there ladies and gentlemen, yes indeed.

Guest angelaandmick

I'm a coupon lover and find these sort of links handy if i want to take family on trip to zoo or dreamworld. Alma Park Zoo have discounts on this at mo, and is great for young children. (Brisbane North) If you google "discount coupons" and your state ie "discount coupons brisbane" you could be saving whilst enjoying the great ozzy outdoors.

Save Money With Vouchers & Discount Coupons :: Clever Coupons Australia - Find a Bargain

Can you tell i'm very bored on computer this week??

Angela

We bought all our white goods from the Good Guys in the Frankston, basically you pay cash (debit/credit card) and you can get some big discounts. We saved almost $500.

Also, don't be afraid to as for a discount.. We saved around $3500 on a car.

buy a car that runs on gas if you can, wayyy cheaper , compared to petrol, and the mileage here is high.. we have had ours converted and you get half back from the government ( its to be green), and they pay it with no coughs straight into your bank!! brilliant..

don't allways shop in your suburb look at ones near by, we shop in a different one as the prices are way cheaper, yep its the same shops... bizzare

Guest guest17301
Go bloody teetotal, if you get rellies coming over charge them boxer shorts rent, bought 30 pairs in the asda on mi hols saved a fortune 4 pairs a fiver

Do we really need to hear about your undie bargains...:goofy:

DONT SHOP IN JUST WOOLWORTHS OR COLES

They are owned by the same umbrella company so as there is no competition for prices, these shops can charge what they like and prices are high.

Quiche - $13

Bread - $3.50

Mushrooms - $4 small punnet

Packed Meat - You dont want to know

Milk - $2.3 litre

12 Eggs Caged - $4.25

We shop in 4 different stores:

Super Butcher for Meat - Awesome value and the best meat I have tasted

Local Fish Market for err Fish - much cheaper than Coles/Woolies

Harbourtown Veg Market

Coles and Woolies for anything else we couldnt find

There are so many fruit and veg, general markets around, use and help the little guys, until Tesco or someone else gets a look in over here, Australians and everyone else will continue to get ripped off.

Vegemite is 3 times dearer in Australia than it is in England!

Still love it here tho (not vegemite, it could be 100 times cheaper and I still wouldnt eat it)

Cheers

Sean

Guest Vim Fuego
Go bloody teetotal, if you get rellies coming over charge them boxer shorts rent, bought 30 pairs in the asda on mi hols saved a fortune 4 pairs a fiver

Alternatively ... clean-skins and cask wine are your beshtest friends ... top underpants tip too ...

Guest angelaandmick

Here at last:jiggy:

We charge a primark rent, Buy as many t-shirts / shorts for kids and you can stay for as long as you like!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angelaandmick

When buying electricals that have an energy rating, ie, Washing Machines, Airconditioners, check with the seller if there is a Government Rebate on the product. If they do then you will need to ask for a rebate application form when purchasing and you will receive cheque or bank credit within 60 or 90 days.

Guest angelaandmick

Banks: Fees are added to every part of the banking business in Australia. Monthly fees, ATM usage, Overdrafts, Direct Debits etc. If they can take it they will. Check if your bank waives monthly fees when you transfer your wages, Use EFTPOS facilities rather than ATM's, If you are charged for overdrawing go into your branch and politely pleed ignorance and then politely let them know that you are transferring your business elsewhere. Give them a few minutes and fee may be waived as a goodwill gesture. Always check the fees involved with your account before opening it. Monthly fee's can range between 0 and $5 per month ($60 per annum for adminstration??).

Guest angelaandmick

If you are fortunate enough to be both working, start acting as though one of you has lost an income. Do not touch this wage coming in and start making the necessary cut backs as you would be forced to if God Forbid it were to happen. We started doing this about 5wks ago and have managed to save approx $4000. Haven't been living as a hermit either as have followed a lot of the tips on pages like this one.

Guest Guest31881
Banks: Fees are added to every part of the banking business in Australia. Monthly fees, ATM usage, Overdrafts, Direct Debits etc. If they can take it they will. Check if your bank waives monthly fees when you transfer your wages, Use EFTPOS facilities rather than ATM's, If you are charged for overdrawing go into your branch and politely pleed ignorance and then politely let them know that you are transferring your business elsewhere. Give them a few minutes and fee may be waived as a goodwill gesture. Always check the fees involved with your account before opening it. Monthly fee's can range between 0 and $5 per month ($60 per annum for adminstration??).

Fully agree with your posting, I bank with ANZ, they were charging $5 a month. I went in to see them and asked if it was correct as other banks had offered me free banking because my money is deposited every month and I did not want to have to change banks. within a few min the account was amended and i no longer pay charges. :jiggy:

Archived