Tips on Saving Money in Oz

Guest angelaandmick

Guest angelaandmick

"find out if your employer does salary packaging. You can save a lot on Tax. not all companies offer this system, usually hospitals and charities and some public services, but dont quote me on the last one." Lynnes

Yeah, please expand on salary packaging! Never heard of it, How does it work? What are the benefits?

• 1 month later...

salary packaging is a 'perk' of some employers, usually hospitals. Its called 'SOMPAK' what happens is you can claim for certain expenses like rent/maorgage, car loans, (you need to see a financial advisor to work it all out), then what you are allowed to package is taken out of your wages befor your wage is taxed then its put back so you dont pay the tax on it. You can also set aside a certain abount for meals and entertainment, so when you eat out you can submit the bill and dont pay the tax on the meal. I find it very complicated to understand but it saves me around $200-$300 per fortnight. Sorry its not very clear but if you work for the Mater they do it and so do some other hospitals. its not widely advertised so you have to ask.

Lynne

When you find those ants in your house try vinegar and water diluted to get rid of them.

Try RAID spray for the redbacks you will find.

wear socks when hanging out the washing to avoid green ant bites.

look out for wasps nest around the bins...I got stung on my arrival in OZ.

My next door neighbour came out and swiped them with his car key ring and they chased him down the street....I laughed because I warned him about them..His reaction to me was "Bloody soft pommies"...Ha Ha you are running down the street ..And I'm not a pommie you Kiwi ...

DONT SHOP IN JUST WOOLWORTHS OR COLES

They are owned by the same umbrella company so as there is no competition for prices, these shops can charge what they like and prices are high.

Quiche - $13

Bread - $3.50

Mushrooms - $4 small punnet

Packed Meat - You dont want to know

Milk - $2.3 litre

12 Eggs Caged - $4.25

We shop in 4 different stores:

Super Butcher for Meat - Awesome value and the best meat I have tasted

Local Fish Market for err Fish - much cheaper than Coles/Woolies

Harbourtown Veg Market

Coles and Woolies for anything else we couldnt find

There are so many fruit and veg, general markets around, use and help the little guys, until Tesco or someone else gets a look in over here, Australians and everyone else will continue to get ripped off.

Vegemite is 3 times dearer in Australia than it is in England!

Still love it here tho (not vegemite, it could be 100 times cheaper and I still wouldnt eat it)

Cheers

Sean

Hi

Not wishing to sound pedantic, but Coles and Woolies are not owned by the same umbrella company......... but I see where you are coming from regarding the scandalous behaviour by both of them - they do it because they can.

Wesfarmers own Coles and Bi Lo which can sometimes be in the same shopping complex - how's that for keeping out the competition.

The ACCC has a lot to answer for with its disregard for restrictive lease terms negotiated by the "Big 2" with shopping centre owners. Although the ACCC has now negotiated the immediate removal of about 75% of restrictive lease terms the remaining 25% will be allowed to remain in force for another 5 years as agreed with Coles and Woolies, by which time the 2 behemoths will have thought up another way to keep the competition out.

The major distribution centres for these two are highly unionised also and this is to the detriment of any possible newcomers to the market. Tesco briefly flirted with the idea some years ago but were probably sunk by the near-impossibility of knocking any bricks out of the wall.

The Consumer Affairs Minister has frequently stated that the government is keeping its finger on the pulse of this situation but it really needs two hands round the neck instead (and the previous government were no better in this regard) - besides, its not even as though Coles and Woolies produce is anything to rave about.

OK - that's my 2 cents worth on that subject - what about "cheap" petrol day - why is that allowed and what is the justification of upping the price 15 cents on one day and dropping it back the next unless its used purely as a "loss leader" to attract custom. As Woolies and Coles have the franchises from Caltex and Shell respectively on 70% (?) of the filling stations anyway they will always attract customers so why do they expect most people to buy on the "cheap day" ? Where is the government regulation on this - that's right - its nowhere to be seen because of the tax revenue.

Sorry folks - rant over!

• 3 months later...
Guest Finchy84

We have a Harris Farm around the corner from us which is great and a lot cheaper than the big four and you can get all your fresh produce and meat from it as well which is great.

Tbh I have found it easier to save in Australia than the UK since my moved out here over 3 years ago. The first year on the money front is always the hardest imo. I was broke in my first year but 2nd and 3rd where much better.

Try and avoid ATM fees, they hurt as well, I can remember one month when I first got here, I was spending $40 a month on $2 atm fees.

Guest chris955

My biggest tip for saving money from that list would be give up the coffin nails, they are expensive and would cancel out all the other savings combined.

Guest Lee The Mortgage Man

DID YOU KNOW: that if you pay your mortgage weekly instead of monthly that you can knock up to 6 years off you mortgage.

Archived