Having a baby on a 457 visa?? is baby australian or english?

gparkes

Hi All,

Just been to see midwife today and asked regarding what will happen when my baby is born in August. we are here on a 457 business visa so we are temporary residents and i thought we had read that if we have a baby it will be English as we are not permanent here, but she seemed to say today that the baby will be australian???

Can anyone clarify on this?

also we are looking into going home at xmas and now babies in the UK need their own passport but travel on their parents when australian?? so where does this leave us? as i have a british passport?? so what would we do regarding getting baby and a passport ???

Its all so confusing and i haven't a clue what i am to do and seem to get mixed responses by different people i ask.

So anyone who has been in the same situation please let me know what happens and what i need to do when baby is born regarding passports and citizenship ect?

PS. You would need to register baby as a UK citizen, obtain a UK passport for baby, and then have a subclass 457 visa entered in baby's passport so that baby can re-enter Australia in due course.

I have to confess to not being an expert on UK citizenship issues, so maybe progress this further with the British High Commission in Canberra:

British Nationality and Registrations

PS. You would need to register baby as a UK citizen, obtain a UK passport for baby, and then have a subclass 457 visa entered in baby's passport so that baby can re-enter Australia in due course.

I have to confess to not being an expert on UK citizenship issues, so maybe progress this further with the British High Commission in Canberra:

British Nationality and Registrations

Thanks for that i will have a good look on that web site to see if i can find any answers

Guest jpearse

Alan is right. we are here on a 457 and I had a baby 9 weeks ago. Obivously she has an australian birth certificate but is not eligible for an australian passport. I have just sent passport pictures of her plus the passport application form to my parents in the UK so they can get the documents signed by someone I have known for 2 years. Once they send these back to me I will send them to the British embassy here so get the little her passport. hope this helps.

Guest jpearse

yes I think it was the above website. It is a form C2 anyway. They don't need to have seen the baby just have to have known you for 2 years and be the usual solicitor, doctor etc.

• 1 month later...
yes I think it was the above website. It is a form C2 anyway. They don't need to have seen the baby just have to have known you for 2 years and be the usual solicitor, doctor etc.

Did you need to register the baby as a Uk citizen first before filling in the c2 form?

I see the costs in this alone are $1100 for the application to be a british citizen??

Or did you just fill in the c2 form without doing the citizen application?

Guest jpearse

Hi,

No I haven't registered the baby as a British Citizen. I believe all you have to do is fill in the form and send with the baby's birth cert, mother's passport and the fee. I sent ours off last week so will let you know if this isn't correct.

I was wrong in one of my post's saying that I had to get someone who has known me for 2 years to sign. the person has to have seen the baby which no-one at home has. We called the passport advice line and they said that this is a common situation and that we just have to find the person who has the highest standing in the community here and that has known us for as long as possible i.e. in our case since we arrived in November. At my OH's work there is a JP and she has known him since we got here so that is who has signed our form and passport pic's.

Hope this helps and good luck with the baby!

Ohh right Thanks for that,

we arrived in December and i went straight to the GP to get my pregnancy confirmed so i think maybe he may be the best person to sign ours then, is that correct?

So you just filled in the C2 form with the $171.00 for the passport fee??

I am a little confused over the MN1 form and hoped we wouldn't have to do this as its $1100!!

Guest jpearse

Yes I guess your GP sounds like the right person.

I haven't heard of a form MN1 so hope I don't need one at that price!!

• 1 month later...
Hi,

No I haven't registered the baby as a British Citizen. I believe all you have to do is fill in the form and send with the baby's birth cert, mother's passport and the fee. I sent ours off last week so will let you know if this isn't correct.

I was wrong in one of my post's saying that I had to get someone who has known me for 2 years to sign. the person has to have seen the baby which no-one at home has. We called the passport advice line and they said that this is a common situation and that we just have to find the person who has the highest standing in the community here and that has known us for as long as possible i.e. in our case since we arrived in November. At my OH's work there is a JP and she has known him since we got here so that is who has signed our form and passport pic's.

Hope this helps and good luck with the baby!

Hi how did it go with getting all the paper work sorted?? Any advice?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Gail,

I was just wondering how you went on registering your baby and sorting out the passport. I am currently i the EXACT same situation on a 457 visa and wanting a trip to UK at Xmas. Hope it all went ok for you.

Hope you can help, im pulling my hair out.

Thanks,

Lois

Archived