Australian Citizen sponsoring UK spouse

Guest Parentinwaiting

Guest Parentinwaiting

I have only recently qualified as a Permanent Resident on a Contributory Parent Visa and hope in time (around 4/5 years) to become accepted as a Citizen. I am still married but my partner did not apply as he was not prepared to make the leap and leave the UK. So I live in Oz and he is still in the UK. Please can anyone tell me if I am correct in thinking the following? If I eventually become a Citizen and if he one day decides he misses me and our children and would like to join me in Australia, is it a simple case of me sponsoring him after 5 years and then him coming over on a Visa which does not cost the price of a mortgage?! Currently, as he is not certain if he ever will want to come and live in Oz it makes no sense him going down the route of applying for his own Contributory Parent Visa as if he then decides not to come after all it will be many thousands of $ down the drain. Your knowledge would be much appreciated.

Just a bit of general info. It is hellish expensive in Oz. The cost of living, accommodation, food, clothing and everything in between is crippling. It is a beautiful place of course and the people are wonderful - and I do hate to do the whinging Pom bit - but it is undeniable that living here you need to really earn or be prepared to say goodbye to your savings! Thanks and hope someone can guide me:-)

The 12 month living together rule is waived for married couples. I imagine the difficulty might be in proving that you're still a happily married couple in an ongoing relationship, yet effectively living seperately.

Guest GeorgeD
The 12 month living together rule is waived for married couples. I imagine the difficulty might be in proving that you're still a happily married couple in an ongoing relationship, yet effectively living seperately.

Totally right. No 12 month living together requirement if you are married, but you still need to prove you intend to continue a genuine relationship. This may be difficult, but it's not impossible...my wife and I had never lived together before or after getting married, but we explained our situation in our application. We only recently got married, so it was relatively straightforward...being married for a long time but living apart for years may be more difficult to explain to DIAC's satisfaction. Do you stil have any joint financial commitments, any money transfers between each other, any visits to each other, etc?

Archived