Rip off special offers!

shirleyt

I'm just trying to organise our flights for the 1st September and I'm shopping around to get the best deal but also trying to factor in excess baggage. Emirates is working out at £2880.15 for five of us with 30 kg each but then I remembered when you opened an account with ANZ bank they offer to increase your baggage allowance to 45 kg each which would come in very handy. The way the bank sell you the account is based on how wonderful that they've managed to get you that free allowance ! Well what a rip off because when you enter the magic code of UKANZ09 the special migrant fare price comes up at £4113.15! So my extra special free baggage increase will cost me the princely sum of £1113.15, so hardly free! Why do these companies use this con tactic? Think I'll fly Singapore instead!:arghh:And change my bank ASAP!

It is worth looking at many airlines and adding in charges for excess baggage if you want to take a lot of stuff. It may be cheaper to pay excess baggage with airline A than get a ticket on an inclusive basis with airline B.

Having said that, 75kg of extra luggage is a lot and the extra GBP 1113 may end up being a cost effective way of getting extra luggage. Also worth considering flying via USA as that used to have higher luggage allowance.

It is worth looking at many airlines and adding in charges for excess baggage if you want to take a lot of stuff. It may be cheaper to pay excess baggage with airline A than get a ticket on an inclusive basis with airline B.

Having said that, 75kg of extra luggage is a lot and the extra GBP 1113 may end up being a cost effective way of getting extra luggage. Also worth considering flying via USA as that used to have higher luggage allowance.

Yes thank you for the advise, I'm trying to explore all the options so I'll check that ooh via USA!

But not 'free' as they claim.

I know and it's left me feeling a little frustrated as it seems add the word migration to certain things and companies seem to think it a good way to try and rip you off! The prices yesterday for a one way flight with Emirates were £200 more expensive than a return flight! They are hoping to cash in on people migrating!

I don't understand where people get these prices from emirates. I just got my visa today and iv looked at my flight for August 18th with that code and it's only £740. I havnt done anything other than use the search facility on the home page. Havnt chosen a special migrant fare.

Think you've misread the £2880 price is for 5 people, that's not what I'm complaining about!

I don't understand where people get these prices from emirates. I just got my visa today and iv looked at my flight for August 18th with that code and it's only £740. I havnt done anything other than use the search facility on the home page. Havnt chosen a special migrant fare.

I've priced Perth from Manchester 18 th August , for one adult without the code it's £642.22! After adding the code it jumped to £845.22 so again the extra 15 kg is costing £203 for a special fare for ANZ bank!

Guest The Pom Queen

Not for the baggage but I had a similar experience with Virgin, I found the flights to America I wanted to book and the flight numbers, price etc which was $1100 pp. As I was using a voucher I had to book using their call centre number so I told them each flight number, times etc and was about to pay and she said $15,300 please, I thought she was joking. I told her the flight was $3300 for all of us online she then told me those seats must have sold, so I got Rob to check whilst I was online and they were still available. In the end she refused to budge on the price and put the phone down on me. I called up again got a different person and she told me $8700 :wacko: I went through the website price again and she said they couldn't do anything so I put the phone down otherwise I would have exploded.

In the end I decided to try and book online and lo and behold it did take my voucher and we secured the flight at $3300. I wonder if they get a commission. How the hell could the price jump $12,000 :no:

I thought perhaps I was imagining things when I had the same experience. I opened an ANZ account based on the comments that you get the extra baggage if you book with Emirates as well as a code for discounted flights.

Ha! What a joke that was. I looked at flights on my own through their website direct and got one figure but when I put in the code it came out more expensive. How does that work????

At first I thought it was a mistake so tried again on a few different days and it always came out more expensive with the code than without.

Totally NOT what they advertise and tell you when you set up you ANZ account and get the "fly emirates for a discount and extra luggage" spiel.

Suffice to say we wont be travelling with emirates either.....singapore airlines all the way (and perhaps pleading with them for some extra luggage for all four of us, otherwise we will be shipping more).

Try doing a search without the code through Emirates website direct (or even on a search engine) and you might be surprised that it will actually come up cheaper than using the code (by which I mean the code ANZ send to you if you open an account with them - it is apparently supposed to be a fare with extra baggage free.....however it doesnt work out that way as it works out more expensive than booking direct).

I haven't looked at the terms and conditions of this but it may turn out that the excess baggage is in fact free, just that you must purchase a particular fare class to get it.

Some days that fare class may be the cheapest available and therefore using the code adds zero cost, other days there may be cheaper fares available which are not eligible for the offer, but using the promo code causes a more expensive fare class to be selected.

My suspicion is something like the fare you are buying already comes with 40kg (i.e. it's a 'migrant fare') and the ANZ code is just adding another 5kg.

I haven't looked at the terms and conditions of this but it may turn out that the excess baggage is in fact free, just that you must purchase a particular fare class to get it.

Some days that fare class may be the cheapest available and therefore using the code adds zero cost, other days there may be cheaper fares available which are not eligible for the offer, but using the promo code causes a more expensive fare class to be selected.

My suspicion is something like the fare you are buying already comes with 40kg (i.e. it's a 'migrant fare') and the ANZ code is just adding another 5kg.

No doubt they would give me some explanation to do with terms and conditions if I rang them but the facts are still the same, no matter which date you try the special offer ANZ code always results in a much higher fare so the free baggage is never free! I am just trying to make sure people are aware to shop around and don't be conned by companies trying to get your business by making false statements! If anyone from Emirates or ANZ could look into this matter and tell me how one could obtain the extra baggage allowance without being ripped off, I'm sure we would all have more confidence in using their companies!

What on earth is the problem..What on earth does the bank have to do with booking an airline ticket...Cant you just go to emirates.com or Singapore airlines.com and book a flight..Thats what I have always done and never had any problems..Dont need to speak to anyone, just book and pay online..How much simpler could it get?

What on earth is the problem..What on earth does the bank have to do with booking an airline ticket...Cant you just go to emirates.com or Singapore airlines.com and book a flight..Thats what I have always done and never had any problems..Dont need to speak to anyone, just book and pay online..How much simpler could it get?

Anyone with half a brain cell can go directly to the airlines but that is not what this thread is about! If you can't be bothered to read the whole thread or fail to understand the concept of unethical marketing trick, then may I suggest you keep your suggestions to yourself! How much simpler can I get?

No doubt they would give me some explanation to do with terms and conditions if I rang them but the facts are still the same, no matter which date you try the special offer ANZ code always results in a much higher fare so the free baggage is never free!

I can't find any details re Australia but this link for the same NZ offer doesn't mention free baggage allowance, it says:

book your migrant fare online with Emirates with an increased baggage allowance totalling 45kg**

http://www.anz.com/unitedkingdom/en/personal/moving-new-zealand/anz-associates/

Again, that 'migrant fare' is probably more expensive than the cheapest fare available on the day because it includes extra baggage already.

When I used this offer with ANZ/Emirates I was told to book my flights as normal, then phone with the offer details. I did and it took a while on the phone because they didn't know anything about it. But, they did eventually email me a confirmation letter to say we had 45kgs per person on all our flights (we actually did a 2 day stopover in Dubai just to confuse matters). But we had no problems with the extra luggage and did not pay any extra for our flights! Can't confirm whether you can still use that process though....

When I used this offer with ANZ/Emirates I was told to book my flights as normal, then phone with the offer details. I did and it took a while on the phone because they didn't know anything about it. But, they did eventually email me a confirmation letter to say we had 45kgs per person on all our flights (we actually did a 2 day stopover in Dubai just to confuse matters). But we had no problems with the extra luggage and did not pay any extra for our flights! Can't confirm whether you can still use that process though....

Thanks for that information. Do you recommend a little stop over on the way or did you find it a pain with all the extra luggage?

Oh yes I have been warned by the OH not to expect an annual trip back to the UK!

Well we have family coming over from UK albeit flying to Auckland they paying 900GBP rtn we was going UK same time our price 1500GBP apparently its called Yield Management, but I call it robbing Bar stewards ripping of the little people !!