Suitcase or rucksack?

Nathan87

Backpack, but, then, I've never owned a suitcase. Get a good one that fits you (try it on in the bush walking store and ask them to put something weighing 20kg or so in it). Even I, an old granny, can heft 20kg which is your airline allowance and, once on, your mobility isn't impaired and you can manage stairs etc quite easily. Get one with a strap cover so that you can zip it over the straps if going on planes so the straps don't catch in machinery. I'm also a big fan of packing cells - I'm getting some Kifaru ones at the suggestion of my son who swears by them.

I would go for a really good rucksack. Try and keep the clothes and stuff you have to carry to a minimum. Pack the rucksack for a practice and see how it feels walking with it, if it feels to heavy/uncomfortable see what you can get rid of. Secure pockets that are pretty easy to get at are handy for stuff like passports, travel documents, phones. You will probably buy some clothes here to suit the climate so don't plan on bringing too much.

Carry some easy to get at toothpaste, deodorant, wet wipes. Surprising how much better a quick wipe down and spray and a clean of your teeth can make you feel. Nothing worse than sitting next to a hot travelling chic on a bus for 10 hours, wondering if your breath smells or you have BO.:wink:

Have a good time.

I'm also advising a rucksack, far easier to move around between places. If you can try and get one which has a mini day sack attached to it so that when you're staying in one place for a while you've now got a little rucksack for those day to day bits you carry around.

I used a rucksack for my WHV, it was easier to carry around and grab from coaches, trains etc. Go for one that spreads the weight evenly and feels comfortable for you (ie. that you're not going to topple over!). It can be a pain having to empty it if the item you want is right at the bottom but other than that, it is much easier than lugging a suitcase around (and it's also more comfy to sit on / lean against if you have long waits anywhere :wink:)

I would recommend a rucksack. Suitcases are great if you are in the same location all the time but rucksack much easier for being on the move and generally taking a bit of a beating! I've got a nice one, Eurohike brand... it unzips all the way around and the straps can be put away behind a cover, so they don't get tangled up on the conveyor belt (etc) at the airport.

It's 45L plus 15L day sack but I don't generally use the day sack (this style but smaller: http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/10352443-eurohike-colossus-65-15-black.html).

Edited by vickyplum