Quality of houses

Bridgeman

The seventeen year thingy is daft,

I have been back to OZ on many an occasion and seen my old houses still standing and in very good nick, even in Perth.:shocked:

First lived in OZ some thirty years ago, so not speaking from my backside, AGAIN.:laugh:

Cheers Tony.

Been trying to work out how old you could be? now I am really :unsure: and :confused: I thought you were around 40 ...... Mm ..... i shall go & hide for a while now :wink:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AKA63029
Been trying to work out how old you could be? now I am really :unsure: and :confused: I thought you were around 40 ...... Mm ..... i shall go & hide for a while now :wink:

Oh, you flattery you,:wubclub:.

And nine to that figure Shoes, :cry::no::biglaugh:

Typically the Australians I have encountered have no sentiment towards the house they live in, they will happily knock it down and build another, as a result many do not look after and maintain their houses and they tend to fall down.

If you look after your houseit is likely to last longer than 17 years. In any case, most people would sell within 17 years anyway so even if it did collapse it would not be your problem.

What I find extraordinary is the town we live in has been a seaside destination for over 100 years and yet almost all the houses are new. If the Australians stopped knocking their towns down they would develop more arcitectural history and, to my mind, the towns would have a lot more character.

You cant honestly believe that rubbish!!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hey Jim, this look´s like our house but with furniture :laugh: and a much younger couple, hey is that you lounging around??

That barbecue area was incredible, do you like my ..... Shoes' lol

That barbecue area was incredible, do you like my ..... Shoes' lol

Yeah nice shoes!, nearly as nice as the BBQ area, makes out little Weber kettle look a bit naff :wink: I do think that on the whole the houses are nice, yes I have seen a few that are awful and look as if they should be condemned but the new stuff is super.

Typically the Australians I have encountered have no sentiment towards the house they live in, they will happily knock it down and build another, as a result many do not look after and maintain their houses and they tend to fall down.

What nonsense. My house is 90 years old - as is most of the suburb i live in - as are the suburbs surrounding us - as are countless similar suburbs in a ring equidistant around the city. The whole area was developed in the 1920's and 99% of the houses are original (well, with plenty of renovations and extensions). One street near to me is heritage listed as every building in it is an example of original art deco architecture. Closer to the city the houses are much older - and still standing!

I've lived here for over 30 years and I've never seen or heard of a house falling down.

I think it's luck of the draw. Some older houses (25+ years) are probably better quality than the newer ones particularly built by those volume builders. I've seen new houses that look great on the outside but you actually have to live in them to know all their faults. Our previous rental was terrible. I was afraid I might dent the walls with my elbows we were always so careful! Even the slightest impact is enough to dent a wall here - probably thanks to cheap plasterboard they use(?) On some walls I could even put a picture hook without a hammer...I used to press it hard with my thumb....lol!!

Hi,

I live in Scotland and bought a Persimmon home in 2006 and its not going to stand the test of time .. Most of the houses round me have been flooded due to shody workmanship mines been flooded 3 times as no washers were put in and joint. so anywhere can have badly built houses.

Cant believe someone could come out with such a sweeping statement about such a large area

as someone else said and I loved the statement

other people who did not settle or like Oz just cant stand to see anyone doing the same and put them off at every chance

Jason