Is this expensive....BUPA

vixxy666

Guest Clegg Family

Thanks for that, it's interesting how they can state you need to take out additional cover when in fact you do not. With 3 young children it provides us with some peace of mind though so I'm happy to take out additional cover. It would of already cost a small fortune in dental fees without our cover.

We have Bupa gold and it is excellent. Recently had to have some expensive dental work and nearly all covered by Bupa - I handed over about $30 from a $300 bill and it was done all on the card so didn't have to pay and claim back. Also had to have a ambulance called out last year and that is a very expensive thing but all covered by insurance. Also, most policies do not allow a 457 holder to claim Medicare rebate as we discovered to our loss in the first year here but Bupa is one of the few that do

Okay I was working on a calculus problem and that was easier than this. Please someone email me. Im on a temp partner visa have a medicare card from UK 52yrs young and fit no job no cover. I thought from what medicare said I was covered...when I get if i get a job I will buy a policy....by the way the rates you guys banter about are normal for those of us that lived in the US its only cos NHS is free in the UK and Private is really affordable least my experience that the words sticker shock seem appropriate here.

Someone please tell me I am not FUBAR'd...thanks!

Okay I was working on a calculus problem and that was easier than this. Please someone email me. Im on a temp partner visa have a medicare card from UK 52yrs young and fit no job no cover. I thought from what medicare said I was covered...when I get if i get a job I will buy a policy....by the way the rates you guys banter about are normal for those of us that lived in the US its only cos NHS is free in the UK and Private is really affordable least my experience that the words sticker shock seem appropriate here.

Someone please tell me I am not FUBAR'd...thanks!

If you're on a partner visa, you've applied for a PR visa, so should have a blue (interim) medicare card. This is different from the yellow (reciprocal card) being talked about in previous posts. The blue interim card entitles you to FULL medicare cover, i.e. the same as the green card PR and citizens get, but your card needs to be renewed every year, rather than every few years like the green card.

One thing to consider, Bupa only cover 1 ambulance (singles) or 2 ambulances (family) during the year and that's for all levels unless choosing the extra ambulance cover.

Most health funds only cover emergency ambulance anyway. depending which state you're in, it's worth getting separate ambulance cover for all the grey areas not covered by the health insurance policies (e.g. you're in a road accident, ambulance to closest regional hopsital would be covered, but if you then need a transfer from a regional hospital to a major hospital with better facilities needed for your treatment, it might not be covered as it's not an emergency transfer).

I'm here on a 457 with mu family and my experience is as follows:

You need to prove you have adequate health cover to obtain your 457. This could be private health or travel insurance. All you need is a letter from either party confirming cover.

Once you're in Oz, you can apply for your reciprocal medicare care, this will cover you for emergency treatment. I think you can use it at the doctor, but i'm not sure what it entitles you to. Could anybody clarify as the more i read about medicare, the more confused i get!

Once you have your Medicare card you can cancel your private health.

You can take out extras cover if you want dental & optical etc.

We paid £169.00 per month Worldwide Health Insurance for a family of 4 with Bupa International to get over visa.

We are now paying AUD43.00 a month for basic extras with Bupa Australia.

No issues yet, but we've only been here two months and have not needed to visit a doctor etc yet.

I'm here on a 457 with mu family and my experience is as follows:

You need to prove you have adequate health cover to obtain your 457. This could be private health or travel insurance. All you need is a letter from either party confirming cover.

Once you're in Oz, you can apply for your reciprocal medicare care, this will cover you for emergency treatment. I think you can use it at the doctor, but i'm not sure what it entitles you to. Could anybody clarify as the more i read about medicare, the more confused i get!

Once you have your Medicare card you can cancel your private health.

You can take out extras cover if you want dental & optical etc.

We paid £169.00 per month Worldwide Health Insurance for a family of 4 with Bupa International to get over visa.

We are now paying AUD43.00 a month for basic extras with Bupa Australia.

No issues yet, but we've only been here two months and have not needed to visit a doctor etc yet.

Reciprocal medicare covers you for any urgent hospital treatment, but not for elective procedures (any surgery that could wait 24hrs or more). You are covered for GPs etc.

With GPs, medicare will pay a certain amount per visit (think it's about $33).

1) Some GPs charge that amount, and bill medicare directly on your behalf. This is called "bulk billing".

2) Some GPs don't have that system so you have to pay them, and then you claim it back from medicare yourself.

3) Some GPs charge more than the medicare amount, so you are responsible for paying the "gap" to the doctor. In these cases, the medicare part of the bill will be paid by either method 1) or 2). These are generally GPs that have extra expenses due to being open out of hours, or located in more expensive areas of the city.

thanks for all the responses we definately have to have this as part of our visa requirements can reduce it by $80 a month by paying a $500 excess. My oh is 31 and I'm 27 so maybe it's the age loading that's made it so expensive. But don't earn enough to pay the extra 1% levy at least. Thanks again

Hi OH employer has organised bupa cover for us and just advised us its $83 per fortnight per member so this is $332 a month it feels a lot were on a 457 visa. I had anticipated a payment but just not that much :S

Thanks

Vicky

We're with Medibank and pay about $260 per month on a basic package. Try http://www.iselect.com.au/index.jsp?gclid=CNba-_a1qa8CFcODpAodw2e3WQ&ref=H_S_G_iselect&ef_id=mg5OJirHW14AAMFV:20120410041519:s