Is this expensive....BUPA

vixxy666

we came on 457 visa and it was only my husband that needed the cover according to the visa, me and the kids went down the public hospital route. Upon entry to the country you will all get a medicare card and be able to use the public health care system if you so wish.

Hi OH employer has organised bupa cover for us and just advised us its $83 per fortnight per member so this is $332 a month it feels a lot were on a 457 visa. I had anticipated a payment but just not that much :S

Thanks

Vicky

Just reading your post again, was the quote worded as per member or for the membership? which would include everyone.

Just received my updated membership from Bupa. $188 per month for a family of 5, that is an increase of $10 from last year. Extras and hospital.

thanks for the replies I have checked with bupa and it's $332 per month for both me and my partner on the temporary visa it is the gold cover my oh's employer has chosen it halfs if we get basic. I've based my costs of living on other peoples costs on here as a rough guide so came as a shock that medical will cost us some much just means I'll have to get a job quick or we'll be camping on the beach lol

Make sure you are not being charged the age loading if either you or your husband are over 30 years old, as a migrant you are exempt if you join a private health fund within the 12 months of you first signing up with Medicare.

My husband and I have top level cover with Medibank (or we get charged the extra 1% levy) and it costs approx $240 a month, I think you are being charged a lot. Do you have to use Bupa??? might be cheaper to go elsewhere.

We have top level with MediBANK too and are charged $470 as I mentioned earlier, and we have to pay the extra % for MediCARE as well. Hmmmmmmm now I am very confused.:eek:

You still have to pay the 1.5% even if you have Private cover, But if you have top level cover you should be exempt from the extra levy of 1% that is charged if your earnings as a single or a couple exceed a certain amount, can't remember the exact amounts off the top of my head. Maybe you are being charged the age loading??

You are paying a lot more than my couples cover.

We both have different funds (myself and OH) as we had them before we met.

He is with HBF, and pays $175 a month for top hospital and extras, I have Medibank and pay a bit less, (but not much) I have the lower extras cover so we're paying roughly $350 per month for the 2 of us.

The annual increase has just kicked in, HBF claim to have increased theirs by 5.8% (not sure how they work that out as by my maths my husband's premium has gone up by 7.6%)

Guest Clegg Family

I know the UK has a reciporical healthcare agreement and we thought it would be enough for us on a 457 VISA but it is actually a condition of our visa that we take out private medical cover. From what we have been told you are covered for some things on Medicare but not the same as if a resident. The example we were given is if you broke your arm then you are covered to have the arm set, if however the arm is not straight you would not be covered for the arm to be reset. We took out Bupa cover and have found them very good.

I know the UK has a reciporical healthcare agreement and we thought it would be enough for us on a 457 VISA but it is actually a condition of our visa that we take out private medical cover. From what we have been told you are covered for some things on Medicare but not the same as if a resident. The example we were given is if you broke your arm then you are covered to have the arm set, if however the arm is not straight you would not be covered for the arm to be reset. We took out Bupa cover and have found them very good.

While I completely agree with you that it's wise to take out insurance to cover the things the reciprocal cover doesn't cover (basically all elective procedures - i.e. non-urgent procedures that can be delayed more than 24hrs), if you are entitled to reciprocal medicare cover, that IS enough to satisfy the 457 visa requirement, hence health insurance IS optional in this situation.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

@tisme: So maybe it's the age then? He is the breadwinner from the UK, sponsoring me and 42 of age and I am 34 in a couple of days and German so cannot use Medicare (at least not without a job).

Thanks guys, I will have to look into this further obviously...........

@tisme: So maybe it's the age then? He is the breadwinner from the UK, sponsoring me and 42 of age and I am 34 in a couple of days and German so cannot use Medicare (at least not without a job).

Thanks guys, I will have to look into this further obviously...........

Always worth looking into if there's a chance of saving some $$$$$ :wink: