How to pay for large purchases on arrival

Guest Liz and Paul

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Everyone,

We are flying out New Years Eve to spend a week in sydney with relatives before we head up to the Gold Coast where we intend to settle, we have a couple of weeks accommodation booked and paid for when we get there, but will need to pay a bond for a house rental (Yet to be set up)and buy a car all within a few weeks of getting there. We have opened a Westpac account and will be transferring most of our money into it soon, but the paperwork from Westpac says debit cards issued once contact details provided - which we won't have intially as we will be in holiday accommodation. Has anyone else been in this situation - I'm worried we won't be able to access our money from Westpac and we do need to access quite a large amount for the bond and to buy a car.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Liz & Paul

We went to westpac the day after arrival to activate our accounts - our cards were there waiting for us. We did keep a uk credit card for a few months and used that initially. We also got a cheque from the bank to pay for our car.

Ali

Our cards weren't waiting for us, we had to wait for them. The way round it is quite simple but a little scary. Once you have identified yourself at the branch they request your cards will be ordered. You will then be able to use your passport at a cashier's desk in any Westpac branch to draw money out of your account. I scared myself when I went in and took $5000 out of the bank without flinching. OH stood very close to me for the rest of the time I was carrying it I can tell you.

Felicity:wubclub:

Why not just use your relation's home address as your main residence and postal address(for banking purposes) for the first few weeks which will allow you to have the cards issued to that address. Once you have moved to your rental home you can just inform the bank of your new address.

best of luck

Liam

Why not just use your relation's home address as your main residence and postal address(for banking purposes) for the first few weeks which will allow you to have the cards issued to that address. Once you have moved to your rental home you can just inform the bank of your new address.

best of luck

Liam

We opened our bank accounts when we came to validate our visa 2 years ago. We used our friends address in Sydney. We took down our passports with PR visa in and just told them we were staying with friends while on holiday. We only came over on a short visit (10 days) and before we left to go back to the UK, we had received both our bank cards and our pin numbers.

Deb xx

Guest dwaldron

We had a bank cheque drawn for a car we found within two hours of arriving, as soon as Westpac ID'd us we were away. I think the cards arrived about 3 days later.

Guest Graham&kym

Yep, Liams post was same for me. It is no problem, and a bank cheque to buy a car (19,000ausd for me) cost 10dollars. You can also withdraw cash over the counter (I walked around with 7000 ausd) in my pocket to buy TV fridge freezer etc. Once cards arrive (took about two weeks) yur up an runnin!

Guest dwaldron

(I don't work for Westpac but!) Don't forget with Westpac accounts you can use Barclays cashpoints in the UK and not incur a fee!

Guest Liz and Paul

Thanks for your advice everyone. Think we'll go for the bankers draft then, but its good to know what our options are!

Liz & Paul :v_SPIN:

Guest Liz and Paul

Thanks for the advice everyone - think we'll go for a bankers draft if our cards aren't there, seems like a safe option!!

Liz & Paul :v_SPIN:

Archived