Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Good day all

Kindly advise how employment details are to be entered in EOI if a person has always worked on contractual basis...If only sailing time has to be entered then how leave period wld be covered up to claim required points . On the other side AMSA considers even breaks between ships to calculate total working experience...

Kindly share your thoughts on that..

Thanks

Good day all

Kindly advise how employment details are to be entered in EOI if a person has always worked on contractual basis...If only sailing time has to be entered then how leave period wld be covered up to claim required points . On the other side AMSA considers even breaks between ships to calculate total working experience...

Kindly share your thoughts on that..

Thanks

No definite answer, but it really depends on a) what AMSA say in their CoR letter and b) what the evidence you submit indicates. If you go submitting documents which only show you as employed by the company during the time you were onboard, then you may have challenges unless you have other proof that would satisfy the agents mind. Remember, the agent isn't an expert in seafaring, and it's unlikely they deal with this situation often. So, what AMSA say and what evidence you submit is important.

FYI, the letters I submitted to AMSA and subsequently used the same letters for the visa stated 'CaptainR was employed in the rank of xx by xx shipping from January 2006 - January 2012 and worked on the following ships... Then listed the ships'. I drafted the letters in word exactly how AMSA and immigration require with all the correct details and asked my companies to kindly check and print on their company letter head and send to me. Thus, I got what I needed. This included when I worked for an agency onboard a single companies ships for 2 years.

Make life easy for them, and give immigration what they need in a factual, succinct and straightforward format. It will make the processing smoother.

Thanks Capt R for your comments. The biggest issue is in handling big gaps between two trips. Forexample, if there is a gap of 10 months between two four-months trips, the first three or four months of the 10-month gap can be attributed to the earlier four-month trip and the rest of the 10-month gap would be considered as unemployed. Please comment?

Thanks Capt R for your comments. The biggest issue is in handling big gaps between two trips. Forexample, if there is a gap of 10 months between two four-months trips, the first three or four months of the 10-month gap can be attributed to the earlier four-month trip and the rest of the 10-month gap would be considered as unemployed. Please comment?

Whilst its impossible to know for sure with DIAC, I would say that with a 10 month gap, possibly some or all of the 10 months would be classed as 'not employed' in the relevant occupation.

Good day

I had contacted AMSA asking about work experience calculations n got following answer :

"It is an arbitrary maximum figure AMSA grant for Chief Mate and Master applicants based on their sea service and college time.

The intention is not to include any extended leave periods in this figure.

From AMSA’s point of view, if it was apparent during sea service assessment that there is a significant gap, AMSA will consider this gap and deduct in the final assessment letter".

I'm planning to run a 1 week AMSA orals prep course in June/July in Sydney, if anyone is interested please drop me a PM.

Hi Captain R,

I had planned to sit for AMSA orals in Jan-Feb this year but my letter of invitation arrived very late as my GMDSS verification took too long (as per AMSA). Now I am going back to sea and will be looking to fly for orals end 2015. Any chance you will conduct them again around that time

Thanks

Just in the process of setting up a Dropbox account. When it is online then I'll put all of the oral's questions that I've received as well as some links to some study materials there for all to access.

However, I would recommend taking CaptainR up on his oral's short courses, he is very knowledgable on the subjects and these courses would benefit any future (deck) oral's candidates.

Hi Captain R,

I had planned to sit for AMSA orals in Jan-Feb this year but my letter of invitation arrived very late as my GMDSS verification took too long (as per AMSA). Now I am going back to sea and will be looking to fly for orals end 2015. Any chance you will conduct them again around that time

Thanks

Hi just drop me a PM closer to the time and I'll see what I can do for you. Whether its a few days or a week, I can help as much as possible.

Do we have to justify our experience (sea / ashore) again to the Case Officer during VISA process or AMSA letter would suffice?

Yes, immigration have the final say on such matters.

(edit: What I mean to say is that you do have to justify to DIBP. AMSA is simply the skills assessing authority)

Edited by CaptainC

Just in the process of setting up a Dropbox account. When it is online then I'll put all of the oral's questions that I've received as well as some links to some study materials there for all to access.

However, I would recommend taking CaptainR up on his oral's short courses, he is very knowledgable on the subjects and these courses would benefit any future (deck) oral's candidates.

Thanks for that.

Yes, immigration have the final say on such matters.

(edit: What I mean to say is that you do have to justify to DIBP. AMSA is simply the skills assessing authority)

Yes, as CaptainC says, you can use the same letters you used for your AMSA CoR, if those letters are compliant with the requirements on the DIBP/DIAC website. You should also include a mixture (or all if you're really keen) dating back over the 3 years. I included 2 non-consecutive ones for each employer I worked for.

Thanks for that.

Yes, as CaptainC says, you can use the same letters you used for your AMSA CoR, if those letters are compliant with the requirements on the DIBP/DIAC website. You should also include a mixture (or all if you're really keen) dating back over the 3 years. I included 2 non-consecutive ones for each employer I worked for.

Dear Capt. R & Capt. C

Thanks and got it.

I am waiting for my Invitation to apply my VISA.

Applied EOI on 8th April.

Brgs,

Deepak

Do we have to justify our experience (sea / ashore) again to the Case Officer during VISA process or AMSA letter would suffice?

Dear Capt Deepak ,

Did you get an invitation in the invitation rounds of 24th?

Edited by Aps

Hi,

I am a British Master of a DP2 AHTS. I got my documents authenticated by AMSA back in Feb 2012, when things seemed a little easier! and have their letter of invite to book an orals from that time. I never bit the bullet. Not sure what the validity is of of it but will bet its probably no longer acceptable. I have been working out of NZ for the past 18 months and work for a company that has offices and offshore vessels in Oz.

First query that I haven't seen mentioned (but its such a long and great thread i might have overlooked it) is this....

Can we really get points for a Bachelors Degree in the qualifications part of the points test (i.e. 15 of them) if we can prove 5 years as Master as per the following on the immi website "This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1)"? Anybody got this?

The next thing is a hearty call out to Captain C for Orals prep material and Captain R for any opportunity for orals sessions if you are still doing them? I frequently transit Oz and we might be getting a spot charter there soon.... Many thanks advance if you manage to find some time to reply.

I am looking more at the 189 than trying to push the company for a 457 to give me freedom and also looking at the WA pilot exemption requirements a COR and proof of being able to permanently reside in Oz is a requirement i.e. I am not sure if the 457 will make me eligible?

Can I just say the support, work, time, effort and sense of comradery from all frequent posters is exceptional!!