Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

At this moment, there is a lag of about 27-28 days for EOIs with 60 points. So 8th April + 28 days = 6th May. If this lag increases by 3 or 4 days in this month, then you will receive invitation on 22nd May.

Hi Chief thank and got it.

Anyway I can quit my job only by around Oct / Nov 2015.

Qualification- I have equivalent BSc Nautical Science and taking benefit of it.

Greetings Capt C,

Just trolled through your thread. How did the IELTS go? Mine is under the belt now but AMSA orals is looming. Just got in and will be taking the AMSA in early May in Brissy. Would you please have any pointers/relevant material I could look at.

Thanks heaps.

Capt SJ

PM Your email address to me and I can send you what I have by way of past oral's papers.

Results for IELTS are due tomorrow and I'm hopeful for a decent score.

[h=2]What occupation to enter for EOI?[/h]

Dear Sirs,

I am writing for the reason that I do not know what occupation to enter in the EOI.

I cleared Masters FG in India last year. Later, cleared my AMSA Masters orals on 19 th March, this year.If I enter 'Ship Master' as my occupation in the EOI, then can I add my experience since I became Third officer?

Or Can I put Ship' s officer as my occupation for EOI, but I was assessed by AMSA for 'Ships Master'.

I hope you understood my problem.If I put 'Ship Master' as my occupation, then I don't have any experience to claim points and I'm short of 5 points.In this case I will have to apply for state sponsorship under visa subclass 190 or 489.

Kindly reply at the earliest.

Thanks in advance.

[h=2]What occupation to enter for EOI?[/h]

Dear Sirs,

I am writing for the reason that I do not know what occupation to enter in the EOI.

I cleared Masters FG in India last year. Later, cleared my AMSA Masters orals on 19 th March, this year.If I enter 'Ship Master' as my occupation in the EOI, then can I add my experience since I became Third officer?

Or Can I put Ship' s officer as my occupation for EOI, but I was assessed by AMSA for 'Ships Master'.

I hope you understood my problem.If I put 'Ship Master' as my occupation, then I don't have any experience to claim points and I'm short of 5 points.In this case I will have to apply for state sponsorship under visa subclass 190 or 489.

Kindly reply at the earliest.

Thanks in advance.

Ship's Master (you weren't assessed as ship's officer)

Yes you can include all ranks above cadet.

Evening All,

Bad luck on the IELTS there CaptainC, I did the speaking today and have the papers tomorrow morning in Sydney. We're now 2 months in and nothing heard from AMSA yet, I spoke to them before Easter and they tell me that it was with the Quals Officer. Alas when I called them today, the office was "temporarily closed" obviously they observe POETS day religiously!

Evening All,

Bad luck on the IELTS there CaptainC, I did the speaking today and have the papers tomorrow morning in Sydney. We're now 2 months in and nothing heard from AMSA yet, I spoke to them before Easter and they tell me that it was with the Quals Officer. Alas when I called them today, the office was "temporarily closed" obviously they observe POETS day religiously!

I used to love POETS! Don't get them now though, I get WYAO (work your ass off)

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be a great score for the writing when I just fumbled through the last 30 seconds, writing nonsense. The time is very tight for that section. But, I knew that I'd stomped the other sections.

You've probably just been unlucky with public hols etc, plus the various certification and qualifications teams in Canberra must work at completely different speeds. I did my Orals an hour before one of the guys on this forum, did the same paperwork as him etc, and his skills assessment came in over a week later than mine.

Good Day,

Can anyone please provide me with the question set for the AMSA COR orals for Masters. Facing difficulties in proceeding with the preparations.

Thanks in advance

Has anyone on here gone through the migrant visa process for this occupation? Any advice?Does anyone know about the job market for Ships Officers, maybe in the offshore sector?. Looking forward to hearing from anyone in the know.

--------------------

UPDATED POST: 08/06/2014

Timeline:

25 Feb 2013 – Started requesting letters from my previous employers

15 Apr 2013 - Submitted AMSA CoR Application by courier

17 Apr 2013 – AMSA Started processing my application

28 May 2013 – AMSA Issued Letter to sit Oral (by e-mail)

06 July 2013 – IELTS Exam

05 Aug 2013 – Arrived Perth/Fremantle

06 Aug 2013 – AMSA checked original documents

07 Aug 2013 – AMSA Medical

08 Aug 2013 – AMSA Oral at Fremantle Office

09 Aug 2013 – Departed Perth

20 Aug 2013 – AMSA Issued Immigration Verification Letter (PDF)

20 Aug 2013 – Submitted EOI

01 Sep 2013 – Invited to apply for Visa

04 Sep 2013 – Applied for 189 Visa

02 Nov 2013 – Grant Notification

Documents Uploaded

We received an immediate grant with these documents. No contact from the case officer.

Main Applicant

Passport

Birth Certificate

IELTS

AMSA Skill Assessment (Letter showing qualification+employment time)

Employment Letters

Work/Ship ID Cards (Old ones)

Police Clearance Certificates

Overseas Qualifications and license (HND Nautical Science/MCA Masters Ticket)

Resume

Form 80

Wife

Passport

Birth Certificate

Marriage License

IELTS

Police Clearances

Form 80

Son

Passport

Birth Certificate

Step Daughter

Passport Birth Certificate

Annullment Decree (Sole Custody to my wife)

Affadvit from 2010 showing no known wherabouts of ex-husband

Statutory Declaration from Sep 2013 saying still no known wherabouts of ex-husband.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get orals prep?

The Challenger Institute of Technology in Western Australia recommended Peter Aplin, he was charging A$70/per hour for prep.

Is the oral only based Australian Law?

No, based on my oral experience and feedback from others, the oral is comprehensive and covers everything on the syllabus in detail. I found it similar to my original British MCA Oral including legal questions in relation to the AMSA Marine Notices, Marine Orders and regulations. Rules, Buoys, Manouevering, IMO regs, cargo work etc were all covered.

Do I have to do an oral before getting the skill assessment?

Yes

Do I need to get a positive skill assessment before applying for the EOI?

Yes

Do I get my CoR after taking the oral?

No, only a skill assessment letter. The CoR is only issued once you have the visa and have submitted proof to AMSA.

Does the skill assessment letter from AMSA deduct periods of leave when counting the entire period of employment?

No, if you have been working at sea for 8 years on a regular rotation (i.e. 4 months on/2 months off or 2 months on/off) you will still get the full 8 years on the letter.

Can I send sea service testimonials?

No, you need to send company signed letters from all employers.

Do I really need to get a police clearance for flag states I have served 12 months on?

I wasn't asked for this and didn't provide it, but other people have had to, and you should make all efforts to try and obtain one. If you can't obtain one then you must submit proof and discuss with your case officer.

Is their an abundance of work in Australia?

There is some pilotage and shoreside work in remote areas, the jobs in major cities will more then likely have a queue of people already in Australia applying. Seagoing jobs in the offshore industry are fairly scarce unless you have AHTS command experience and a DP Unlimited ticket. Plenty of Australians with a 2nd Mates ticket and DP Advanced queing for junior officer jobs. Offshore oil and gas is also slowing down in some areas.

Useful Oral Prep/ Revision Material

AHP20 Seafarers Handbook for Australian Waters

AMSA code of safe working practices for Australian seafarers

Navigation Act 2012

Occupational Health and Safety (Maritime Industry) Act 1993

AMSA Marine Notices

AMSA Marine Orders

AMSA Website (Pollution, PSC, Environmentally Sensitive Areas, MLC etc)

MARPOL

SOLAS

Disappointed with the writing result, I ran out of time and expected it to not be a great score.

It's fine for my points though, so I'm happy

Don't worry, I was totally hungover when I did my IELTS and still got what I needed, I think the listening is where I scored worst, although my wife does say I have selective hearing...

Evening All,

How long are you in Sydney for? Drop me a PM if you're around here for a while.

Hii,

Thanks Mate!!...Sorry for replying to you a bit late.

1. Yeah I mailed the failed communication thread to Case Officer and additionally uploaded the same into the portal.

2. The CO suggested the statutory declaration.

gud luck to you, let me know in case any further querries.

amit

Hi Amit

Congrats on the grant. Am facing something similar to what you did with Liberia PCC. I've been stonewalled with Panama.

Could you advice on the following :

1. Did you only mail the failed communication thread with Liberia to your case officer of did you call & talk?

2. Did the car officer suggest the statutory declaration of you put it forward?

Your advice on this matter would be really helpful.

Thanks

Jiju