Why Canberra?

Guest Bazinga

Guest Bazinga

Just curious really as to why people choose Canberra over other areas. We didn't have a choice because the only job going in husbands field was here :)

We moved here because we could both work from Canberra and our kids could go to Uni without leaving home.

We stayed because we like living here. It has the benefits of both a city and a large country town. If it had a beach it would be perfect - but it's a quick and easy drive to the coast on the weekend so we can live with that.

My work takes me to Sydney and Melbourne a lot so the airport is handy as well. My main office is in Sydney and while I don't mind spending a few days there each week I wouldn't like to live there (too many people - I like a bit of space).

We came to Canberra because we had to (ACT state sponsorship was the only route for permanent residency). Its the best thing that ever happened. Been here for 15 months and we love it. Both got great jobs, love the lifestyle and just bought a block of land to build on. We never intended coming to Canberra but it really was fate that we ended up here through no choice of our own.

Guest Bazinga

I visited for a few days last June and aside from freezing (I had to buy scarf/hat/gloves for all of us!) I thought it was lovely. My Aunt/Uncle in law live in Queanbeyan which I quite liked too.

Basically because it's my husbands hometown and all his family are still here. It's actually great for us at this stage in our lives and a great place for families with young children. I don't know that it would have suited me so well in my 20s etc or when I was single though. :wink:

we also defaulted to Canberra through state sponsorship from the ACT. We've only been here a month, but we love it, it feels very much like the right place to us - a good size, with jobs available in both our fields, very green, surrounded by the hills and good walking country.

I originally applied for a family sponsored visa, however part way through the process the Australian government changed the prioritisation rules and so I was told by my agent that my application could take up to 10 years to get approved! :cry:

My Agent then encouraged me to apply for a state sponsored visa, which would they said would be guaranteed within 12 months. Following some research on the area I decided to go for it. Although my family are based in Sydney, I'm really looking forward to living in Canberra as I think that it is more me.

I am now looking to move over later this year, but I find it really reassuring to have my decision validated when I continue to read such lovely positive things about it on PIO.

My wife is a Canberra girl, so it was natural for me to move here.

Canberra is bloody brilliant, it has, as has been said, all the advantages of a city without most of the disadvantages. On a weekend I can walk my dogs at the Pinnacle nature park, visit an exhibition at the National Gallery or the like, shop in comfort at Jammo and the Belco fruit and veg markets, and go out for a first class meal in the evening.

Also, again as has been said, the coast is an easy drive, Sydney is doable for a weekend trip, the mountains are within a couple of hours drive.

The roads are great for motor-biking, the countryside around us is breathtaking, I almost trod on a goanna the other day, the sky is full of beautiful parrots.

What's not to like?

The ANU offered the DH a postgrad scholarship before anyone else did and we just stayed because it is one of the better parts of Australia to live in if you have to live anywhere. All the pluses of big country town without the minuses of big city chaos. Plenty to do, seasonal climate, views of the bush from anywhere in town, reasonable education opportunities, close enough to beach or snow, close enough to big city if you desperately need to buy a new Apple iphone unlocked (Canberra could do with an Apple shop not just a franchise) or an Ikea kitchen (there is debate but the general consensus is that it could do with an Ikea as well).

We also originally applied for family sponsorship then they changed the rules. My family are in WA! We came over on a state sponsored visa and have been here nearly 6 months now and love it. We have a young family and there is so much to do, free events, beautiful parks, lakes, playgrounds, nature reserves. I like that it is hilly and at the moment very very green. Reminds me a bit of home!

We thought we would just do our 2 years here and be off to WA but we are not so sure now.

(Canberra could do with an Apple shop not just a franchise) or an Ikea kitchen (there is debate but the general consensus is that it could do with an Ikea as well).

Seen this.....?

http://www.seek.com.au/job/21953175?cid=jobmail

Apple Retail Genius - New Store Opening - Canberra

• Tired of being trapped behind your desk? A technical support role with Apple will have you feeling inspired again!

• You'll be surrounded by an amazing group of people & let's not forget products!

• Be truly supported and offered continuous career development to see you grow, the sky's the limit!

Seen this.....?

http://www.seek.com.au/job/21953175?cid=jobmail

Apple Retail Genius - New Store Opening - Canberra

• Tired of being trapped behind your desk? A technical support role with Apple will have you feeling inspired again!

• You'll be surrounded by an amazing group of people & let's not forget products!

• Be truly supported and offered continuous career development to see you grow, the sky's the limit!

Yup saw it on the RiotACT - someone had called to express an interest but got no reply IIRC.

About time!

• 4 weeks later...

To be fair we were originally looking at the Melbourne area but by the time we got to the State Sponsorship part of the process the only place with my job on their list was Canberra and we needed the sponsorship to get permanent residency. We did the typical British thing of so where the heck is that, but after starting to do some reasearch and having now lived here for some 6 months I am on the side of the argument that saids it is Australia's best kept secret.

It is a very easy place to live, low unemployment, slightly higher than average wages, excellent climate, even if it does get a little chilly in winter. It's an average of 20 minutes to anywhere, which of course means low traffic volumes, Sydney is around 3 hours away, the coast is 1.5 hours (both timings of course depend on your final destination and are an average). It is a couple of hours and we can go skiing as well.

There are loads of open spaces and lakes, there is loads of stuff going on to, much of it for free, I think we had one weekend free in the first four months of being here! Overall the facilities are excellent, I am struggling to find fault, that said don;t get me wrong it isn't utopia but if you don't want humidity nor do you want to wake up looking at the sea I'm not sure you can find a better place overall.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived