Health/Dental/Ambulance Cover ~ Please suggest companies

cartertucker

We are with ahm. $37.45 per week for family of 4 for Basic Lifestyle cover. This covers hospital, ambulance, dental and optical. We have only used them for dental work, but friends of ours have used them for ambulance and hospital when the husband was rushed in. They were very happy with ahm and recommended them to us.

Liz x

Meant to say when you go for insurance you are best to phone. Check prices on net first and then ring. I tried to do it by internet but it didn't take into consideration that as a new resident you don't have to pay a tariff for being over (30 years old) if it is your first time insurance. They charge you a certain % for every year you are over if you haven't had insurance before.

When you ring them and tell them you are a new resident you don't have to pay the extra. I hope this makes sense to you.

Liz x

Meant to say when you go for insurance you are best to phone. Check prices on net first and then ring. I tried to do it by internet but it didn't take into consideration that as a new resident you don't have to pay a tariff for being over (30 years old) if it is your first time insurance. They charge you a certain % for every year you are over if you haven't had insurance before.

When you ring them and tell them you are a new resident you don't have to pay the extra. I hope this makes sense to you.

Liz x

Yes, this makes sense ~ Thank you for pointing it out, as I wouldnt have known that at all

Guest JK2510

We are with hbf....found it soooo much easier speaking with someone over the phone....we have essentials standard with a gap thingy bob...got 2 prs glasses recently and had $90 covered by hbf....free eye test through Medicare.....paid $109 in the end.

We are with hbf....found it soooo much easier speaking with someone over the phone....we have essentials standard with a gap thingy bob...got 2 prs glasses recently and had $90 covered by hbf....free eye test through Medicare.....paid $109 in the end.

How much does your cover work out a month?

Ive been looking at quotes & they come up fairly pricey!!

There's only the 2 of us, and we don't need all services, so we have HBF Essentials which is $28 a f/n. We have saved heaps on dental and optical.

Sisters-in-law both have 2 kids though & I'm sure they pay $150, not sure if that is a f/n or a month. I guess with kids you want to make sure you're covered for more, so it gets more expensive.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Im thinking of getting hbf essentials also,i need to ask you what is the gap thingy cant get my head around it,how does it work?Im taking that when someone said your best calling them by phone this is maybe for hospital cover and extras,i would only be getting extras for now,and im thinking over the remaining 10 months if i will take hospital cover,as if i dont within the first 12 months of arriving i may a lot more.

But im wondering what the gap thing was about,if it worth having and why?

Guest JK2510

I don't know too much about it tbh...you accrue money then when you go to the dentist for example....hbf cover a percentage and you pay the rest but if you have money in your gap saver you pay for nothing.

Guest JK2510

Yes I think you pay extra. Very handy I brought 2 prs of prescription sunnies...$199...hbf took it down to $109....gap saver accrued so paid nothing.

But im wondering what the gap thing was about,if it worth having and why?

It's difficult to say with certainty without knowing the exact wording you are looking at ....but "gap" normally refers to the difference between what the medical provider charges and the amount which Medicare refunds for that particular service.

Archived