KONY 2012 is OZ getting involved

vixxy666

Hi All just heard about the kony 2012 campaign and found it quite overwhelming to see so many people all over the world supporting a cause and the American government without anything to gain, could easily turn the other cheek but they have adviser's over there helping to find him and get those poor children free. Just wondered if there is anything planned in parts of oz got area's in the UK doing things in April to keep the publicity going.

Guest AKA63029

Been a looonnngggggg time coming Vixxy.

So many other despots need 'outing' IMO and I would willingly pull the trigger, WITHOUT a judge, jury or court.

Cheers Tony.

Watching the video made me feel like something would be done for all i hate facebook(even though im on a 10000 times a day lol) i think its powerful and can really help good causes(and bad) lets hope it brings an end to this b****rds reign. I dont often get involved in anything like this well at least not speak out but dunno somethings inspired me not a bad thing i suppose. Be interesting to see how things work out.

Guest AKA63029

Like you Vixxy no fan of FB, but can 'work' for good and bad.

But what amazes me that this has been allowed to go on for far too long, and without adding fuel, we HAVE to realise that even though nothing (monetary value, oil, gas etc) may be gained from this by any country we have to realise that 'just' at times to step in on a purely 'humanitarian' stand point is the only thing to do as human beings.

Cheers Tony.

Your right its just been convenient for everyone to forgot as its not in the public eye but no matter what other agendas kids are suffering and in this day and age its not acceptable. Why they cant just send in some commando types or even ross kemp! to just find him and stop him there always the red tape in everything in life and it needs to stop. God im on my soap box tonight dunno whats got into me....may the baileys lol Ive always had a soft spot for africa always wanted to be that gap year student who goes there and teaches and just makes a little difference. Maybe this move to oz is the gap year student in me only a few years too late lol

Guest AKA63029

It's an on going debate this one Vixxy, do we look after our own first and then the 'rest' of the world.

IMO if we as a 'functioning' society value our own self then surely it is a 'responsibility' to look after others as well when we can. I am in full agreement with looking after No1, BUT.

There has to come a time when No1, family, community, country, comes into the equation, but as a human I also believe in doing what we can for others less fortunate. I know, cloud cuckoo land and all that, and maybe striving for a perfect world, but that's just the way I feel.

And lets be honest it wouldn't take a great deal of thought to have certain despots taken 'care of', not advocating 'assassination', (well a bit,:embarrassed::policeman:), but seems 'OK' for some governments with certain individuals,:realmad:.

I'm sure many will disagree with me, using violence to get rid of some, but never been one to believe two wrongs don't make a right in 'certain' scenarios.

Cheers Tony.

I know what you mean and i do think look after your own first thats hard enough but the cost of getting Jack Bauer shipped to africa if everyone chipped in.... all jokes aside it wouldnt take much every country isnt great at looking after there own the UK recession and OZ is in the news over politics etc but if theres a natural disaster the debt ridden UK seems to find millions to send over to other countries so i think this is just as important as are other issues that havent been highlighted yet we should put some aside to help those who need it just to be nice human beings n all that!

Guest Homer

Research this a bit more before coming involved. It is an internet phenomenon but Invisible Children have some strange Financial figures and back an armed struggle .supporting a Government army with some serious allegations hanging over them.GlennaGordon_InvisibleChildrenA.jpg Invisible Childrens founders with Sudanese Government troops.. Not saying don't support them but be aware of all the facts first.

GlennaGordon_InvisibleChildrenA.jpg

Yeah I've read all the news about the charity etc and to be honest if what ever they do works then it's a good thing I just think its good that it's in the public eye as many people didn't know what was going on and that can only be a good thing if it can cause help to get out there. Time will tell

Guest Homer

Yes but the "help" they intend is armed intervention by a corrupt military with a history of rape and looting. I don't really want to support a charity that eats up 68% of the cash before it reaches the intended either.

I won't be supporting the charity financially but I'm happy to share the video etc Hopefully something will get done if enough people are taking about it where it be by the Ugandan army or overseas. It's just another horrendous thing happening and politics getting in the way where ever these children are from shouldn't matter is just shouldn't happen just stopping it isn't as simple as we'd hope in this day and age :(

Guest Homer

Hence the success of the viral campaign. People see what they want to see because it makes them feel better about themselves even though they are doing nothing but promote a questionable organisation. Support Oxfam, they actually help, don't skim off the top and don't support rapists and looters becoming involved.

Guest Homer

Well you are likely to be redirecting donations to worthy causes into the laps of less worthy causes by supporting this video. Funny the interest in Uganda after oil is recently discovered there. Mmmmmm

As I've said I agree i saw the video n just thought about the children and the campaign made me feel like I could be part of it and made me feel good about myself as you said. Its human nature I suppose but you've highlighted the issues and I will take those onboard

Guest Homer

Sure. It does irk me that I have become suspicious of organisations claiming to do good. So much really bad stuff happening everywhere and the sad thing is that some try to profit from it. This may well be legitimate but having become a sceptic i felt the need to rant a bit. I wish it was all black and white!

Yeah that's the world we live in nower days too many wolfs in sheeps clothing but I'll give the video this it's got a lot of people wanting to do good and help which is a nice change especially after the riots in the uk seeing teenagers wanting to help this cause whether the charitys dodgy or not is good to see well I think anyway :)

I'm sorry but this video and "Day of Action" is a complete load of crap and is not going to solve anything. Do you really think that this guy and the Lords Resistance Army, ie, a terrorist organisation fighting a pseudo guerilla war, is going to take any notice of middle class western do-gooders? Absolutely not. The Ugandan government has been fighting them for years and not managed to halt their spread. American military trainig may help somewhat but the Ugandan Army is not of the calibre of a western military force.

What is happening there is truely horrible but all of this Facebook/social media nonsense is going to do nothing. Look at what happened in Cambodia, Biafra (if you can remember that far ), Yugoslavia, East Timor, and today in Zimbabwe, Fiji, Syria, Phillipines, Nepal and parts of India and Tibet etc. Like "Make Poverty History" and "Earth Hour" these silly media stunts will do nothing to change the situation.

Guest Homer

Actually the LRA has dramatically reduced in size and power over the last few years and Kony hasn't even been in Uganda since 2006. Why the big deal now? Oil.

Invisible Children and the Kony 2012 Campaign

Bobby-Bailey-Laren-Poole--007.jpg

Founders of Invisible children posing with the Sudanese Army

Undoubtedly this is a fantastic idea and has the potential of showing us what social networking is capable of achieving, but unfortunately this campaign will not work. Even if they managed to get the Ugandan Army with the help of the American's to remove Joseph Kony as the leader of the Lord Resistance Army I will Guarantee that there is someone else to take his place and will be just as bad or worse and even if the LRA is wiped out there will be another group of bandits waiting on the sidelines. I have done a bit of research on this campaign and the Invisible Children Charity and I have to say that what I found out frankly concerns me to the point where I will not support this campaign and I would ask others that consider supporting Kony 2012 to read the following before doing so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/mar/08/kony-2012-what-s-the-story

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Of course Invisible children have refuted the criticism

http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html

At this time the LRA is believed to have less then 200 members and is operating in Central African Republic, The Congo and Southern Sudan an area the size of the UK The LRA is no longer in Uganda and hasn't be there since 2006.

Don't get me wrong any publicity that highlights the plight of civilians in war torn areas of the world is a good thing but i have my reservations on the validity and effectiveness of Kony 2012. Now some might say that doing something, even thought it may not be as effective as first thought is better then doing nothing at all, but this is not true. For instance sending in American special forces to train Ugandan soldiers make the Ugandan Army stronger and more effective, now what is wrong with that? Well the Ugandan Army along with the Sudanese Army have been accused of human rights abuses. Look at the what happened with CIA trained Afghans form the 80's and supporting types like Suddam Hussein.

Africa's problems are complex and it is unlikely that they will be sorted out in our or our children's lifetimes. Unfortunately the Western World cannot save Africa, Africa has to do it themselves. All that we can do is to try and educate the people of Africa so that in the future they will be able to make good decisions and bring peace and prosperity to this stunningly beautiful continent.

So many other despots need 'outing' IMO and I would willingly pull the trigger, WITHOUT a judge, jury or court.

I'm sorry Tony but it doesn't matter how despicable someone is there is no justification for assassination, they need to be brought to justice and have their day in court. Otherwise we are just as despicable as they are .

Bobby-Bailey-Laren-Poole--007.jpg

I can admire the campain, i just dont see what it hopes to acheive. Catching him is almost impossible. As some of you know, i work in the Congo (DRC). I am writing this from a camp near a small town called Mongbwalu in the NE about 100km from the Ugandan border. It is known that the LRA are probably in the DRC now and we believe they even operate on the southern part of our lease. That is about 100km from where i am now. But i am not threatend because to get from there to here would take months. The reason is the terrain is thick jungle covered mountains. There lies the problem. This is a vast country - about the size of WA and with most of the infrastructure only existing in the South. To find / catch the LRA is almost impossible. Add in the porosity of the borders with Uganda and Rwanda and they can come and go as they please. The US forces that were sent to Uganda last year are a waste of time. They are not allowed into the DRC because their presence could cause severe reactions from other old militia that have been at peace for 4 years. They are based in Entebbe and stay in a guest house next to where we stay when comming in from Oz. I have never seen them do anything other than have bbq's and drink a fair bit of beer.

I dont know what the answer is. But it will involve ways of bring the population out of poverty and up to a decent standard of living.

Archived