Any advise on where to live in tasmania.

Chapz74

Hi, we're looking to move to tasmania next feburary and just putting the feelers out there on where to initially head to, we have hobarts rural surrounds in mind as we have four children that love the outdoors and as we're moving from the borders of london, uk we definitely be after somewhere a bit more rural and within an hours commute is fine with me.

so any advise on the above would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

:biggrin:

hi

im sure you will get some better advice from the people who are already in tas, but i found the great thing when we were there for a visit is you only need to 20mins drive from hobart and you can be in the contryside or the beech or up mount wellington. we are moving to tasmania at the end of may with our two boys from leatherhead in surrey and are planning to move to howrah which is about 10mins from hobart. where abouts on the outskirts of London are you?

cass

Hi Chapz, When you say "somewhere a bit more rural" do you mean living on acreage or just out of the depths of suburbia in a more natural environment?

If the former you have lots of choice. Firstly the Channel - Huon area from behind Kingston down to Huonville, Cygnet, Ranelagh - even further south to Franklin - and back over the foothills of the mountain to Longley, Neika, Allens Rivulet etc.

Another option is out towards Richmond, Sorell, Cambridge, Acton. Or along the eastern shore of the river down to Sandford, Clifton Beach. Or up river - Granton, Collinsvale, New Norfolk and the little hamlets in the hills surrounding it. Or another option is along the Midland Highway - behind Brighton, Pontville, Mangalore, Kempton. All of these would be within an hours commute of Hobart. My choice would be the first one - for ease of access to Hobart, schools, views, community hubs (Kingston, Huonville) and climate (Tasmania has many microclimates).

If you just want to be out of deepest suburbia, you can have that in places like Upper South Hobart, Fern Tree, Mt. Nelson, Ridgeway, within about 10 minutes of the city centre.

Hi Skani,

thanks a lot as that all sounds as though it may be very helpful when we're out there looking around, i think ideally for the first first rental wise we'll be looking for a nice quiet suburb out the way close to a beach to allow us and mainly the kids to get used to the tassie way but when we look to buy if something with a smallish acreage popped up out of the way but still an hours commute to hobart then that is what we'd head for, looking on the real estate website we should be able to get what we're after. how easy or difficult is it to get a morgage out there do you know????

thanks

how easy or difficult is it to get a morgage out there do you know????

thanks

The banks aren't throwing money around quite as freely as they were before the GFC but, providing you have money for a deposit, and can show enough income to service the loan, there shouldn't be any problems. It would be a good idea to talk to a few banks before you start looking for a place to buy/

Hi all, on another note I don't suppose anyone has any pointers about some reasonably price self catering accommodation for the first 4 weeks when we arrive next February, relatively close to Hobart for ease of transport initially? Thanks

I don't have any recent personal experience but there's some self catering accommodation here

http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/tas/southern-tasmania/hobart

Not all close to the CBD but they each one does have a map. Don't hesitate to ask if you are not sure how convenient they are for someone without a car.

"runslikeafish" stayed at a place in Elizabeth Street, North Hobart, but I'm not sure if it was self catering or B&B only. Might be worth asking him.

Hi, we will be arriving in Hobart in July (hopefully) and we thought that we would hire a camper-van, rather than a car and a rental, to enable us to drive around and look at different areas around Hobart. I believe that there are areas, National Parks, where you can stay for almost nothing. As Tas is so small compared to the rest of Aussie, distances don't seem to be too much of an issue.

Just a thought.

Just remember that it can get very cold in July, not as cold in the coastal areas as a UK winter but it may get uncomfortable in a campervan. And the daylight hours are short, so it may get claustrophobic.

Just remember that it can get very cold in July, not as cold in the coastal areas as a UK winter but it may get uncomfortable in a campervan. And the daylight hours are short, so it may get claustrophobic.

Thanks! I had sort of taken the weather into account, but hadn't given the available daylight hours any thought.

Hi all, on another note I don't suppose anyone has any pointers about some reasonably price self catering accommodation for the first 4 weeks when we arrive next February, relatively close to Hobart for ease of transport initially? Thanks

This was the one I was trying to think of where "runslikeafish" stayed. Haven't checked the prices but he seemed very happy with it.

http://www.werndee.com.au/

Hobart is lovely and definitely the best place to live in Tasmania as far as I'm concerned. We used to live in the North West many years ago . Tasmania is stunning and has a low population. In some ways it reminds me of New Zealand. I am sure you will enjoy it and things will work out for you.

Hi Chapz74 - and others!

I think all the areas Skani mentioned cover well the best places for your to consider for the lifestyle you mention. The Huon area is really lovely and easily accessible to Hobart, and the closer towns are lovely. I have actually just today been down there to the annual Taste of the Huon festival, showcasing the wonderful food and wine of the region. It was a gorgeous day and great food.

In terms of temporary accommodation, you really want to limit the time as much as possible as it isn't cheap. Then again you will be waiting for your belongings to arrive so you have to do something in this time. You can easily be spending double what you will later spend in rent and for something smaller. Say $700-1000 per week depending on the space and location. To find places, the stayz website mentioned is good and also short term places are often listed on www.realestate.com.au and it is also worthwhile contacting real estate agents if you want something for a few weeks. There are also serviced apartments in and close to the city, but they are normally the most expensive option. You might also get lucky closer to the time on www.gumtree.com.au which mainly lists private rentals.

I am more than happy to help with any questions you have about your planned move to Tassie. There is lots for you to look forward to!

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, only just seen this thread. Yes, we stayed at Werndee (thanks Skani!) and it was very good. The lady who runs it was very helpful which was very useful as we'd only just arrived. It was also within walking distance to the CBD and especially North Hobart which was very handy for us.

In terms of prices it was appreciably cheaper than JoReardon mentions above but still good. That said, there are only two of us, I wouldn't have wanted to stay there with a family of 4 or 5...

One other point worth making I think is that I think it is a good idea to book somewhere nice to stay initially. There will be lots of things going through your mind when you first arrive. Staying somewhere nice means that you won't be thinking "I live in a dump, what have I done????". A minor point perhaps but I'm sure that it helped us settle in as easily and quickly as we did.

Good luck

Archived