winter weather on the central coast nsw, do i bring my padded coat??

hogan

• 1 month later...

You will need all those things, particularly for the mornings and evenings but also expect to take all those layers off once the sun is up. I wear shorts all year round now and swim all year round too but I am often wearing four layers - T shirt, shirt - 'Flanno' - you can tell it's winter once the racks of flannelette shirts start to appear in Lowes, pullover, jacket, 'beanie'.

Youll need all your winter woollies. Sydney gets pretty chilly in winter. Just don't forget your sunglasses you'll need those all year round.

I've GOT a cold but it's not that cold in my unit and I've got both the windows open a crack as I do in the summer BUT on the other hand I did put my winter doona on my bed. My unit probably has thicker brick walls than some of the homes, which are not usually centrally heated nor double glazed.

10 degrees this morning in Sydney. Many houses are only partially heated so the inside temperature is not radically different to that outside.

It will reach 20 degrees today. I will most probably be in a jumper most of the day.

The good thing about winters here is that you lose a bit of extra weight keeping yourself warm.

O MG! had one of the coldest nights ever in Tenterfield, Nsw in mid eighties (Sir Joe era)when my cousin and i were hitch-hiking back to Sydney from Cairns. My sleeping bag fell off my pack during a lift, unbeknown to me. When we got dropped off in Tenterfield i had to put on all mine and my cousins clothes out of our packs and cuddle him just to get through the night.(true bonding moment, in some states or county's totally except-able behavior!)

Its a totally different cold than i had ever experienced, there was no cloud cover and that's generally the case so once the sun goes down your extremities get very cold quickly, and that's from someone who used to work on a oil/gas platform from the middle of the harsh north sea!

Just had a look online and would suggest you get one of these

Lazypatch Ha ha

Guest Guest62757

The previous poster had it right, you'll need them indoors more than outside!

I was a stay at home mum on the coast and didn't need a coat or gloves as I was always hoping into the car but I had my old riding fleece for the early mornings. Once the sun comes out it gets warm. You'd probably be better off with a rain coat.

As for indoors the electric blanket was my best friend!

I have to say now that I've moved to Melbourne I'm actually enjoying wearing my coat, I even had my old trusty pashmina this morning! :biggrin:

Never mind 'the cold' in general: what about MY cold!?!? I need a bit of sympathy and / or empathy here! It's not bloody 'man flu', nor any kind of flu, but it IS a very nasty cold. One of the interesting symptoms - to me anyway - is that I have been doing HUGE exploding sneezes, very painful too.

But I feel warm enough in my sitting room in a T shirt & sweatshirt and board shorts. If I was feeling OK, I'd be down the beach for a swim later on. I find that in the winter, it's just a matter of wearing layers.

I do miss my central heating, gas fire & double glazing though, exept for that one time I came home from work to an igloo because the heating had failed to come on.

I don't mind rugging up to go out - quite enjoy it tbh. Thought it was lovely and crisp this morning walking to the station

It's the cold inside houses that gets on my t1ts. Why it seems to be beyond the whit of man here to put decent insulation and an economical means of heating a house in place is beyond me. This is one of the main reasons that if we stay long term we plan to build ourselves.....with proper insulation and every means possible (solar, ground source heat pump, whatever) of low energy heating and cooling we can put in place.

There aren't many certainties in this world, but one thing you can bet your house/first born child/mother's life on is that energy is going to get more expensive in the future. The only debate lies in how rapid the price rises are going to be

Guest Guest62757
I don't mind rugging up to go out - quite enjoy it tbh. Thought it was lovely and crisp this morning walking to the station

It's the cold inside houses that gets on my t1ts. Why it seems to be beyond the whit of man here to put decent insulation and an economical means of heating a house in place is beyond me. This is one of the main reasons that if we stay long term we plan to build ourselves.....with proper insulation and every means possible (solar, ground source heat pump, whatever) of low energy heating and cooling we can put in place.

There aren't many certainties in this world, but one thing you can bet your house/first born child/mother's life on is that energy is going to get more expensive in the future. The only debate lies in how rapid the price rises are going to be

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/signs-that-youre-a-sydneysider-20110111-19mrn.html

I read the above article on the SMH about how Sydney siders are denial that is ever gets cold there. It bloody does!

I hate to keep going on but our house down here has gas central heating from those vents in the floor and I thought it was going to be naff but actually its marvellous the house heats up in no time...just don't sit too close to the sash windows!!

That article is spot on!

We have heating.....it's the house's inability to hold on to it - and therefore the cost of running it - that grates. I'm genuinely stunned by how poorly Sydney houses are insulated (it's not just me, virtually everyone I work with and know here has similar problems). It's not like a bit of decent insulation and better building standards wouldn't help with heat in the summer either. Pathetic really........I think there are three things I have a problem with over here and this is the one where I'm unequivocal about saying it's Aus (or, rather, Sydney) that has the problem rather than me having it

I remember electric blankets being common items in the UK in the world before central heating, where we used to have to shiver around a coal fire, scrape ice off the inside of your bedroom window and get up at stupid o'clock to get the fire back in if you wanted hot water. All that went out in the 70s at home - here in Sydney people still have to buy 'em, and sit under duvets to watch telly in the evenings. What a joke, are we in the Third World?

I am so with you on this point.

That article is spot on!

We have heating.....it's the house's inability to hold on to it - and therefore the cost of running it - that grates. I'm genuinely stunned by how poorly Sydney houses are insulated (it's not just me, virtually everyone I work with and know here has similar problems). It's not like a bit of decent insulation and better building standards wouldn't help with heat in the summer either. Pathetic really........I think there are three things I have a problem with over here and this is the one where I'm unequivocal about saying it's Aus (or, rather, Sydney) that has the problem rather than me having it

I remember electric blankets being common items in the UK in the world before central heating, where we used to have to shiver around a coal fire, scrape ice off the inside of your bedroom window and get up at stupid o'clock to get the fire back in if you wanted hot water. All that went out in the 70s at home - here in Sydney people still have to buy 'em, and sit under duvets to watch telly in the evenings. What a joke, are we in the Third World?

Archived