176 visa, got my IELTS results, overall 8.5 is this enough?

Abyss

I got 9 in each category except writing where I only got 7 :( so does this mean I only get ten points? If i get only ten I think i get 65 points anyway, so I should be ok,, but I am finding it hard to find this information out on the immi.gov.au site under the 176 visa. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Also i am worried about this deadline, i have an agent, but i havent sent them anything yet, i am struggling to get the references on signed letter headed paper for the last 5 yrs,, so i am yet to get my skills assessed,, and i hear TRA take their time, think i will miss this deadline?

Guest AnAppleADay

my skills assessment with ACS took only 2 months. Although the website states their normal process time is 3 months. If you get your reference letters all done and sent for skills assessment before end of march, i think you can still make it.

they look at the individual bands for IELTS so you will get 10 points if i am not mistaken.

One suggestion is to lodge your application even w/o state sponsorship before July. Lodge it as independent skill and follow it up once you get your state sponsorship approval. I know this works because a friend of mine did that. He lodged his application initially as independent visa and changed his mind later and uploaded more docs for state sponsorship 176. he eventually got his visa in 3 months after lodging it.

Hope this helps.

You need at least 8 in each separate component to get the 20 points. You could lodge your skills assessment with the 7s (if thats the minimum they need) and then re-write IELTS. You don't need the same ielts to be submitted with your visa app.

Your IELTS score has something called a 'jagged profile' You can appeal and chances are high that they'll adjust your writing score, it may or may not be a best option for you.

I think, it's best to do what Dono suggested: To re-sit IELTS with skills being assessed in parallel. Good luck!

Your IELTS score has something called a 'jagged profile' You can appeal and chances are high that they'll adjust your writing score, it may or may not be a best option for you.

I think, it's best to do what Dono suggested: To re-sit IELTS with skills being assessed in parallel. Good luck!

I like the sound of this as i know i scored well elsewhere, surely they can't strip points in the other areas, similarly i'm sure if they did they wouldn't go below 8.

My concern is if i miss the deadline, on the new system I need all the points i can get, and don't feel happy sitting on the threshold of 65 with my ten points incase something happens and i loose points or the new system doesn't pick me :(

Thanks for your responses people :)

I got 9 in each category except writing where I only got 7 :( so does this mean I only get ten points? If i get only ten I think i get 65 points anyway, so I should be ok,, but I am finding it hard to find this information out on the immi.gov.au site under the 176 visa. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Sadly if you are looking for points for the english language element of DIACs criteria...yep you gonna have to do it again.my husband was the same but got there. It was SSOOOOO annoying as he got 9,9,9 7.5 so had to go and get that .5 to get 8 in everything.

Thankfully he did it :)

Best of luck

Not sure Id bother appealing...its half the price of a re-sit and the marking scheme I would imagine is like state examinations in that its all about structure. Maybe if he was .5 but if I read correctly he got 7 and needs 8, no way it would be brought up that much.

Just resit and hone in on technique. State , explain , illustrate!

Sadly if you are looking for points for the english language element of DIACs criteria...yep you gonna have to do it again.my husband was the same but got there. It was SSOOOOO annoying as he got 9,9,9 7.5 so had to go and get that .5 to get 8 in everything.

Thankfully he did it :)

Best of luck

Do i need to meet the DIACs criteria of 8 though? I am british, 30, and applying for a state sponsored visa 313112, with only getting 10 for ielts i still overall get 65 points,, thats enough right?

Do i need to meet the DIACs criteria of 8 though? I am british, 30, and applying for a state sponsored visa 313112, with only getting 10 for ielts i still overall get 65 points,, thats enough right?

You say you already have the 65 points with your current IELTS score so that will be sufficient for DIAC. You should aim to re-sit your test in the next two months or so, just in case you can't make it before the new EOI system.

You say you already have the 65 points with your current IELTS score so that will be sufficient for DIAC. You should aim to re-sit your test in the next two months or so, just in case you can't make it before the new EOI system.

Id probably do the same just to be safe!!!

my skills assessment with ACS took only 2 months. Although the website states their normal process time is 3 months. If you get your reference letters all done and sent for skills assessment before end of march, i think you can still make it.

they look at the individual bands for IELTS so you will get 10 points if i am not mistaken.

One suggestion is to lodge your application even w/o state sponsorship before July. Lodge it as independent skill and follow it up once you get your state sponsorship approval. I know this works because a friend of mine did that. He lodged his application initially as independent visa and changed his mind later and uploaded more docs for state sponsorship 176. he eventually got his visa in 3 months after lodging it.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, but while you used to be able to change a 175 application into a 176 just by attaching state sponsorship to it that was all changed a couple of years ago and now you have to have state sponsorship at the time of applying it can't be added later (unless you want to make a fresh application and pay all the fees again).

Archived